The Student Room Group

2019 Edexcel GCSE Maths Higher : Predicted topics for paper 3

2019 Edexcel GCSE Maths Higher :
Predicted topics for paper 3

After looking at Edexcel Higher Papers 1 & 2 2019, I have made a list of topics that have not appeared yet including links to questions. Expect a lot of these to come up in paper 3 but also expect some topics that have already come up in papers 1 & 2 to come up again - here's a full topic list.

Number

Algebra and graphs

Geometry

Statistics and probability

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for this, gonna send to some y11s.
Reply 2
Reply 3
If anyone is targeting the top grades and wants some challenge questions focusing on some of these topics then I've made a few and attached them to this post. I'll post answers at some point.

Warning : these are grade 9 questions.

(answers in this post)
(edited 4 years ago)
thank youuuuuu
Reply 5
God bless your soul!!!
Original post by Notnek

2019 Edexcel GCSE Maths Higher :
Predicted topics for paper 3

After looking at Edexcel Higher Papers 1 & 2 2019, I have made a list of topics that have not appeared yet including links to questions. Expect a lot of these to come up in paper 3 but also expect some topics that have already come up in papers 1 & 2 to come up again - here's a full topic list.

Number

Algebra and graphs

Geometry

Statistics and probability

Reply 6
P.S, does "justmaths" have mark schemes? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by liaente
P.S, does "justmaths" have mark schemes? :smile:

Yes look for the solutions files here:

https://justmaths.co.uk/2015/12/21/9-1-exam-questions-by-topic-higher-tier/
Reply 8
Here are solutions to the grade 9 questions I posted above.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notnek

I think there is a mistake in the answer for question 2b? I think it's supposed to be 428/990 = 214/495 ?
I would really appreciate it if you could explain the answer to 2c. I got abc-a/990... I'm pretty sure this is wrong but I don't understand how to get the answer in the markscheme?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by studyingpeach
I think there is a mistake in the answer for question 2b? I think it's supposed to be 428/990 = 214/495 ?

I've uploaded a corrected version now, thanks :smile:
Thank you!!
Original post by Notnek
Reply 12
Original post by studyingpeach
I would really appreciate it if you could explain the answer to 2c. I got abc-a/990... I'm pretty sure this is wrong but I don't understand how to get the answer in the markscheme?

The problem is that you need a fraction and abc in a fraction represents a x b x c. A three digit number “abc” is actually equal to

100a + 10b + c

Does that make sense?
Original post by Notnek
The problem is that you need a fraction and abc in a fraction represents a x b x c. A three digit number “abc” is actually equal to

100a + 10b + c

Does that make sense?

Oh okay thank you!
Reply 14
I only have today and tomorrow then I'll be sitting Maths GCSE higher tier Edexcel paper 3 , i've had a lot of issues occurring such as sciatica and home issues preventing me from concentrating and revising , I did awful on paper 1 and 2 just out of lack of knowledge and poor concentration (pain in my back) also my teacher just did not cover half of the syllabus as he decided to focus on foundation topics only and left out all the higher topics such as box plots , histograms etc but honestly can't use that as an excuse I NEED to pass GCSE maths and the only way is to get 40 + marks on paper 3 is this possible with the little time I Have (2 days)
hi please don't stress yourself too much, there is definitely chance and opportunity for you to pass and get the grade you want. From past experiences, mocks, paper 3 usually is the nicest paper (because you can spot-check topics that haven't appeared in the other 2) and this is the paper that can really make or break your grade. My tips would be concentrate your revision on making sure you know the content of the topics that did not come up, watch corbett maths videos on youtube - they are amazing, and check your knowledge by doing exam questions for that topic on mathsgenie. I also would definitely get in a practice paper if you can, and during the exam I would recommend trying to attempt at least most of the questions - even if you don't fully understand - because working out marks are a blessing. Also I'm sorry to hear about your sciaticia and the difficulties at home and school - perhaps you can phone edexcel and they can give you some special consideration or leniency. But all in all, I believe in you and I know you can smash paper 3 - and if you need any maths help message me on this forum and I will try my best to help. :smile: good luck
Original post by alissah
I only have today and tomorrow then I'll be sitting Maths GCSE higher tier Edexcel paper 3 , i've had a lot of issues occurring such as sciatica and home issues preventing me from concentrating and revising , I did awful on paper 1 and 2 just out of lack of knowledge and poor concentration (pain in my back) also my teacher just did not cover half of the syllabus as he decided to focus on foundation topics only and left out all the higher topics such as box plots , histograms etc but honestly can't use that as an excuse I NEED to pass GCSE maths and the only way is to get 40 + marks on paper 3 is this possible with the little time I Have (2 days)
Definitely gonna be a question on the tangent of a circle , they just love those.
Original post by SchmuckOff
Definitely gonna be a question on the tangent of a circle , they just love those.

i hope so
In my opinion, topics that are likely to reappear are:
- Probability
- Circle Theorems
- Graphical Simultaneous Equations
- Surface Area and Volume
- Triggernometry but included in a question with another topic possibly
- Functions might appear too
- Anything to do with circles
- Possibly vectors

These are just my opinions and what I've gathered from doing past papers.
I too did terrible on paper 1 forgetting everything, alright on paper 2, making some silly mistakes and forgetting things like inequalities lol. My teacher also didn't teach us half of the curriculum due to the behaviour of certain individuals and lack of organisation. Don't worry, these years exams will definitely have a similar or even lower grade boundary to last year's as they are more difficult. 60 marks will likely give you a 4, which is good. 80 marks for a 5 is what I'm expecting. I'd prefer a 5 myself, however my paper 1 performance was shocking. Paper 3 is definitely the one where people really revise harder and begin to turn things around.
Original post by xx_swegman_xx
In my opinion, topics that are likely to reappear are:
- Probability
- Circle Theorems
- Graphical Simultaneous Equations
- Surface Area and Volume
- Triggernometry but included in a question with another topic possibly
- Functions might appear too
- Anything to do with circles
- Possibly vectors

These are just my opinions and what I've gathered from doing past papers.
I too did terrible on paper 1 forgetting everything, alright on paper 2, making some silly mistakes and forgetting things like inequalities lol. My teacher also didn't teach us half of the curriculum due to the behaviour of certain individuals and lack of organisation. Don't worry, these years exams will definitely have a similar or even lower grade boundary to last year's as they are more difficult. 60 marks will likely give you a 4, which is good. 80 marks for a 5 is what I'm expecting. I'd prefer a 5 myself, however my paper 1 performance was shocking. Paper 3 is definitely the one where people really revise harder and begin to turn things around.

probability, circle theorems, graphical simultaneous equations and vectors came up on p1 and 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending