The Student Room Group

MTG: Build me the ultimate Gruulfriends deck!

Scroll to see replies

Jadelight Ranger for a nice efficient creature that might also cantrip or filter your draws
Added Lightning Strike, for instant-speed burn. :coma:

m19-152-lightning-strike.jpg
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Jadelight Ranger for a nice efficient creature that might also cantrip or filter your draws

Good idea. :yes: I'm mostly used to seeing (and hating) it in Wildgrowth Walker explore decks, but even without that combo it's a very decent card.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Good idea. :yes: I'm mostly used to seeing (and hating) it in Wildgrowth Walker explore decks, but even without that combo it's a very decent card.

I mean hey. You could run that package - Wildgrowth Walker, Branchwalker, and Jadelight Ranger - here, and it would be good.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I mean hey. You could run that package - Wildgrowth Walker, Branchwalker, and Jadelight Ranger - here, and it would be good.

Could do, indeed!
Added Jadelight Ranger!

rix-136-jadelight-ranger.jpg

Double Explore could give me lands and/or +1/+1 counters, both useful, and it's nice to have the option of binning the card at the top of your library if it's of no help right then, too. :biggrin:
Doubling up on Lightning Strike~ Love the Ixalan version's art and flavour text.

xln-149-lightning-strike.jpg
Blinding Fog for ensuring the haven is in peace?
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
Blinding Fog for ensuring the haven is in peace?

Could be useful to guard against the likes of Gates Ablaze (though I haven't seen as many Gate decks recently) due to the damage prevention, as well as targeted removal spells thanks to the hexproof; shame it doesn't protect against the other common mass removal spells (Cleansing Nova would still get past it, as it destroys without causing 'damage', and it affects everything so there are no 'targets'; so too Cry of the Carnarium). Not a bad suggestion though, I do tend to lack protective options in my decks. :colondollar:
(edited 4 years ago)
Could be useful to guard against the likes of Gates Ablaze (though I haven't seen as many Gate decks recently) due to the damage prevention, as well as targeted removal spells thanks to the hexproof; shame it doesn't protect against the other common mass removal spells (Cleansing Nova would still get past it, as it destroys without causing 'damage', and it affects everything so there are no 'targets'; so too Cry of the Carnarium). Not a bad suggestion though, I do tend to lack protective options in my decks. :colondollar:

I see...
wonder if there's any other gruul card that can surpass Cleansing Nova and Cry of the Carnarium
(shud browse out lol)
Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre
I see...
wonder if there's any other gruul card that can surpass Cleansing Nova and Cry of the Carnarium
(shud browse out lol)

I can't think of any; counterspells are the obvious solution, and they're exclusive to Blue. Blinding Fog honestly might be the best mass creature protection spell in Green (in Standard, at least), while Red has nothing of the sort. I think it's just a case of beating opponents before they can draw/cast those spells, or having enough options left over to come back and win even if they do use them.
Adding Vivien, Champion of the Wilds!

war-180-vivien-champion-of-the-wilds.jpg

Like I say, I'm fine with other Planeswalkers joining the party... and the ability to flash in creatures is too good to turn down.
With Core Set 2020 on the horizon (link to discussion thread, may contain spoilers), how will the cards from this set influence my deck going forward?

2020 Core spoilers

(edited 4 years ago)
If it hasn't been mentioned, Carnage Tyrant is also always useful and worth a look for G :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
If it hasn't been mentioned, Carnage Tyrant is also always useful and worth a look for G :smile:

As with most good mythics, I have Carnage Tyrant... but just the one. :colondollar: Makes plenty of sense to include it though, I do love uncounterable hexproof!
As with most good mythics, I have Carnage Tyrant... but just the one. :colondollar: Makes plenty of sense to include it though, I do love uncounterable hexproof!

I've just been running the one they give you in my copypasta golgari midrange deck (because I like to win sometimes between tinkering on other decks :wink: ), and honestly even that seems enough; the whole point of it I guess is it's hard enough to deal with even one, so as long as you have moderate draw (or explore-mill) to get it by the time you need it (and since it's most critical against blue decks which tend to play for a lot longer, this is a lot more likely), it works quite well as just a solo card. I think if you had too many, unless you were running a serious ramp deck you'd possibly end up with it as a dead draw too often :s
I've just been running the one they give you in my copypasta golgari midrange deck (because I like to win sometimes between tinkering on other decks :wink: ), and honestly even that seems enough; the whole point of it I guess is it's hard enough to deal with even one, so as long as you have moderate draw (or explore-mill) to get it by the time you need it (and since it's most critical against blue decks which tend to play for a lot longer, this is a lot more likely), it works quite well as just a solo card. I think if you had too many, unless you were running a serious ramp deck you'd possibly end up with it as a dead draw too often :s

I've managed to make it to Mythic rank all 5 months since they introduced the Constructed ladder on Arena, without copypasta decks (not that it's all that difficult, a whole month of playing and a ~50% win rate will get you there eventually). Of my 14 decks, 3 currently have more wins than losses. :giggle: Mono Green elves, Boros aggro and Dominarian knight tribal (believe it or not) carry the others. Note the distinct lack of Blue. :yucky:

Having one Carnage Tyrant is certainly better than having none, agreed!
I've managed to make it to Mythic rank all 5 months since they introduced the Constructed ladder on Arena, without copypasta decks (not that it's all that difficult, a whole month of playing and a ~50% win rate will get you there eventually). Of my 14 decks, 3 currently have more wins than losses. :giggle: Mono Green elves, Boros aggro and Dominarian knight tribal (believe it or not) carry the others. Note the distinct lack of Blue. :yucky:

Having one Carnage Tyrant is certainly better than having none, agreed!

Yeah, I might try out my Izzet test deck which has been doing well in the regular matchmaking, in the ranked to see how that goes. I do love Ionize!

I've mainly been playing the sealed mode that was running for a while last week since I started again, since I had a bunch of gems leftover from the closed beta that got refunded (and it's actually pretty efficient, as a game mode, since you only need to win like 3 or 4 times to get your gems back and then you get 9 packs on top of that :3 ), which I did best with Simic colours (not necessarily a Simic deck though lol). I've been testing a couple decks along that colour combination in the regular play mode, but to a lot less success (I think people playing sealed must just be bad or something, idk; I saw a lot of tricolour decks in it, some more effectively just splashing a third colour but quite a few trying a proper 3 way split in a 40 card deck...which rarely worked out).

The Simic adapt cards are kind of awkward to use (and the better ones seem to just be green anyway, rather than UG) and I don't have enough of the good mer cards to recreate my mer deck from the closed beta (and I'm reluctant to use my wildcards on them because most are from the Ixalan block which is rotating out next). I think I mainly wanted to make use of Growth Spiral, but a lot of the time it felt like I ended up just paying UG for drawing a single card and not getting to use the mana playing half of it :/
Yeah, I might try out my Izzet test deck which has been doing well in the regular matchmaking, in the ranked to see how that goes. I do love Ionize!

I've mainly been playing the sealed mode that was running for a while last week since I started again, since I had a bunch of gems leftover from the closed beta that got refunded (and it's actually pretty efficient, as a game mode, since you only need to win like 3 or 4 times to get your gems back and then you get 9 packs on top of that :3 ), which I did best with Simic colours (not necessarily a Simic deck though lol). I've been testing a couple decks along that colour combination in the regular play mode, but to a lot less success (I think people playing sealed must just be bad or something, idk; I saw a lot of tricolour decks in it, some more effectively just splashing a third colour but quite a few trying a proper 3 way split in a 40 card deck...which rarely worked out).

The Simic adapt cards are kind of awkward to use (and the better ones seem to just be green anyway, rather than UG) and I don't have enough of the good mer cards to recreate my mer deck from the closed beta (and I'm reluctant to use my wildcards on them because most are from the Ixalan block which is rotating out next). I think I mainly wanted to make use of Growth Spiral, but a lot of the time it felt like I ended up just paying UG for drawing a single card and not getting to use the mana playing half of it :/

My Izzet deck used to be awesome; these days, I can hardly get a single win with it. I don't know whether it's bad changes I've made at some point, or changes in Standard following War of the Spark that have weakened it, or simply bad luck. :dontknow:

I didn't play until open beta started, and haven't spent any real money in game, so rarely have the gems to take part in sealed events. Instead I sink my gold into drafts, hoard the gems until a new set gets released, then play as many sealed games in the prerelease as I can before I run out.

I do occasionally risk three colours in sealed. :colondollar:
My Izzet deck used to be awesome; these days, I can hardly get a single win with it. I don't know whether it's bad changes I've made at some point, or changes in Standard following War of the Spark that have weakened it, or simply bad luck. :dontknow:

I didn't play until open beta started, and haven't spent any real money in game, so rarely have the gems to take part in sealed events. Instead I sink my gold into drafts, hoard the gems until a new set gets released, then play as many sealed games in the prerelease as I can before I run out.

I do occasionally risk three colours in sealed. :colondollar:

I think if you get a bunch of dual lands in a third colour with one or both of your main colours, and there are some nice options in that colour that aren't in your main colour(s) it's ok to splash that way, I think more than that and it starts getting a bit tenuous :s maybe I'm just too cautious and stick to two colours (and usually a pairing I'm familiar with otherwise, i.e. normally some pairing of blue, or Gruul) xD

I've gotten a lot of neat Rakdos cards in the process of playing sealed, so I kind of want to try that out since the spectacle mechanic is pretty neat. I've never really played RB before though (in the closed beta it was just pirate aggro which was kinda dull). Then again generally aggro type decks (which Rakdos seems to tend towards, if a little more midrange oriented than the RB pirates were) aren't something I do super well with or enjoy usually...

Quick Reply

Latest