The Student Room Group

Help! A Level Options Problem

I want to study in a 6th form (Brampton Manor) and during the interview the head said that if I want to study Economics for Cambridge or LSE then I need to study Further Maths. So now they swapped my English Lit (my forte imo) with Further Maths.
So I would study: Economics, Maths, Further Maths and History

Should I study a course/subject that I may just be mediocre at but still have a chance in going to LSE or study a subject that is my forte but isn't really needed for my course in Uni?

I study GCSE Economics, History, English Lit and Maths and so I don't know which subject I should eliminate ;/
Help!

I want to take Economics for University.
(edited 4 years ago)
If English Lit is your forté, why don't you do Maths, Further Maths and either English Lit and/or History? You don't need A level Economics to study it at university.
Reply 2
Original post by Quick-use
If English Lit is your forté, why don't you do Maths, Further Maths and either English Lit and/or History? You don't need A level Economics to study it at university.

Thanks for your response.
I study GCSE Economics and so want to continue studying it for A levels. But if I do swap economics for English lit or history then would you think I would be at a disadvantage for not learning it in A Levels?
Original post by angellynne
Thanks for your response.
I study GCSE Economics and so want to continue studying it for A levels. But if I do swap economics for English lit or history then would you think I would be at a disadvantage for not learning it in A Levels?

It would not be a disadvantage at all. :smile:

As long as you have the required subjects for your chosen degree and the grades, then it's perfectly OK!
History seems out of place in there BUT HONESTLY DON'T DO IT. If you don't want to do it at uni then it's a waste of time.
I want to study in a 6th form (Brampton Manor) and during the interview the head said that if I want to study Economics for Cambridge or LSE then I need to study Further Maths. So now they swapped my English Lit (my forte imo) with Further Maths.
So I would study: Economics, Maths, Further Maths and History

Should I study a course/subject that I may just be mediocre at but still have a chance in going to LSE or study a subject that is my forte but isn't really needed for my course in Uni?

I study GCSE Economics, History, English Lit and Maths and so I don't know which subject I should eliminate ;/
Help!

I want to take Economics for University.
Reply 5
Ah thank you! Now, what are the disadvantages of choosing History for A Levels? I'm trying to weigh up the Pros and Cons of choosing each subject :biggrin:
It would not be a disadvantage at all. :smile:

As long as you have the required subjects for your chosen degree and the grades, then it's perfectly OK!
Reply 6
Yeah, It was just because I enjoyed/ was fascinated by leaning History since I was much younger but now come to think of it, I don't really need to do it but can do History related stuff in my free time. Thanks. I think I'll swap History with English Lit but all I'm doing is swapping an essay based subject with another one.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
History seems out of place in there BUT HONESTLY DON'T DO IT. If you don't want to do it at uni then it's a waste of time.
English Lit is so much nicer than History. History is a lot of work where as Eng Lit is more calmer :smile:
Yeah, It was just because I enjoyed/ was fascinated by leaning History since I was much younger but now come to think of it, I don't really need to do it but can do History related stuff in my free time. Thanks. I think I'll swap History with English Lit but all I'm doing is swapping an essay based subject with another one.
Ah thank you! Now, what are the disadvantages of choosing History for A Levels? I'm trying to weigh up the Pros and Cons of choosing each subject :biggrin:

History is a fantastic subject and I value it very highly. It's a very important academic discipline, but most importantly, the essay and research techniques that you develop when studying History are invaluable.

I love English Lit as well but essays for social sciences (History and Econ etc) are very different from literature-based essays. :smile:

Are you definitely set on doing Maths and Further Maths? You could potentially do English Lit, History and Maths but that might limit your degree choices if you're 100% certain you want to do Econ at somewhere like LSE.
Reply 9
That's the thing. English Lit and Economics are the two subjects I'm best at and they are also the 2 subjects I enjoy the most. AHHH.......so I am not 100% certain which career route to go to. So far I've always told people that I want to work in Finance but my other passion for English Lit confuses me. Not only is this an a level options problem but it's also a careers problem for me.

History is a fantastic subject and I value it very highly. It's a very important academic discipline, but most importantly, the essay and research techniques that you develop when studying History are invaluable.

I love English Lit as well but essays for social sciences (History and Econ etc) are very different from literature-based essays. :smile:

Are you definitely set on doing Maths and Further Maths? You could potentially do English Lit, History and Maths but that might limit your degree choices if you're 100% certain you want to do Econ at somewhere like LSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
:biggrin: There's probably more content in History A Levels than English Lit right?
Original post by Mrs.Grey
English Lit is so much nicer than History. History is a lot of work where as Eng Lit is more calmer :smile:
YES DEFO like 1000x more
:biggrin: There's probably more content in History A Levels than English Lit right?
That's the thing. English Lit and Economics are the two subjects I'm best at and they are also the 2 subjects I enjoy the most. AHHH.......so I am not 100% certain which career route to go to. So far I've always told people that I want to work in Finance but my other passion for English Lit confuses me. Not only is this an a level options problem but it's also a careers problem for me.

In that case, maybe you should do:

1) English Lit, Economics, Maths and Further Maths
2) English Lit, History, Maths and Further Maths
3) History, Economics, Maths and Further Maths

If doing 4 is too much (it's not recommended that you do 4 because it gives you no added advantage whatsoever and is just more stress), then you can just drop 1 subject.

My best advice would be to do the subjects that you like the most. Try to keep your options open as much as possible. Research the degrees/universities that you might like.

When I was 15, I was certain that I wanted to do Maths and/or Economics at university. Then, when I was 17 I was certain that I wanted to do Law or English Lit and Philosophy. At the end, I ended up applying for languages at university :lol: I studied French, Spanish and Japanese. Things can always change but the good thing was that because I took subjects that I enjoyed the most and those that could take me in any direction, I was able to apply for whatever degree I wanted to.

Quick Reply

Latest