The Student Room Group

over the counter sleeping pills

is there any way i can get it ? over the counter. i doubt my gp will give it to me. i’m having very bad insomnia. and it’s because of my anti depressant but the insomnia is making me angry
If it's this serious, why will your GP not prescribe it to you?

Spoiler

Original post by CHANELDIAMONDS
is there any way i can get it ? over the counter. i doubt my gp will give it to me. i’m having very bad insomnia. and it’s because of my anti depressant but the insomnia is making me angry

There are herbal and antihistamine sleeping tablets you can buy over the counter.
Original post by batter mix
If it's this serious, why will your GP not prescribe it to you?

Spoiler

tysm. and no probably will take away my anti depressants
Original post by black tea
There are herbal and antihistamine sleeping tablets you can buy over the counter.

so i take them at a certain time and i’ll get sleepy at that time
I've tried a few over the counter ones. They didn't help.
Original post by sinfonietta
I've tried a few over the counter ones. They didn't help.

so will i have to go to the gp to get given one?
tysm. and no probably will take away my anti depressants

so i take them at a certain time and i’ll get sleepy at that time

There will be instructions on the box, or you can ask the chemist if you are unsure.
Reply 7

If this is a side-effect of the anti-depressant, why wouldn't you want to raise this with your GP? There might be other medication that can switch you to.

Be aware that just because something is available over the counter doesn't mean that it won't have interactions with the anti-depressant (or indeed any other medication) you're taking. If you don't want to talk to your GP, perhaps go into a pharmacy and discuss the options with the pharmacist on duty.
Original post by martin7
If this is a side-effect of the anti-depressant, why wouldn't you want to raise this with your GP? There might be other medication that can switch you to.

Be aware that just because something is available over the counter doesn't mean that it won't have interactions with the anti-depressant (or indeed any other medication) you're taking. If you don't want to talk to your GP, perhaps go into a pharmacy and discuss the options with the pharmacist on duty.

^ what he says
Original post by martin7

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
^ what he says

ok i’ll talk with pharmacist, thanks
ok i’ll talk with pharmacist, thanks

It's a completely standard conversation in pharmacy. Someone says they aren't sleeping, may even be what you're on, says no I don't want to talk to the doctor about it, what have you got?

Ask at the pharmacy, they may be reluctant to sell you either diphenhydramine or promethazine because it's going to amplify the drowsiness. However, for every 10 pharmacists there are 11 opinions, so I would just see what they say. Some other doctors or pharmacists would just laugh at this and say 'they are antihistamines'.

I buy Nytol at the chemist and they are cheap and work well but I don't know if it's ok to mix them with anti depressants
Original post by harrysbar
I buy Nytol at the chemist and they are cheap and work well but I don't know if it's ok to mix them with anti depressants

i’m going to buy them right now, thanks. will they work straightaway?

Back of the packet quotes 20 mins. Most people say takes longer.
Original post by marinade
Back of the packet quotes 20 mins. Most people say takes longer.

thank god!!!

I always think they're not going to work because they don't make me feel remotely sleepy and then I wake up about 7 hours later! But I don't take them regularly so that's probably why they work well on me.
I always think they're not going to work because they don't make me feel remotely sleepy and then I wake up about 7 hours later! But I don't take them regularly so that's probably why they work well on me.

do they eventually fix your sleep schedule so you can no longer use it?

Yes, you're not supposed to take them every day only for a couple of days to catch up on some sleep and then you should try to sleep without them again

The theory is you take them for up to ten days in a row (preferably less) then a long break, do all the 'sleep hygiene' stuff, go to bed at the same time every day, etc etc and retrain your brain back into better sleeping habits.
Yes, you're not supposed to take them every day only for a couple of days to catch up on some sleep and then you should try to sleep without them again

Original post by marinade
The theory is you take them for up to ten days in a row (preferably less) then a long break, do all the 'sleep hygiene' stuff, go to bed at the same time every day, etc etc and retrain your brain back into better sleeping habits.

great, thanks! i can a manage another sleepless night

Quick Reply

Latest