The Student Room Group

Year 12 exam grades

So at my school lower sixth do regular end of year exams rather than AS levels. However because I’m really indecisive on which three subjects I’d be studying, I kept my fourth subject up till now and did an AS in it. This subject was English Language...so I had two exams for it. I then had a further seven exams for my remaining subjects, which are German, Maths and Geography.
This week we’ve started to be given our results back in the end of years. I was hoping for a minimum of a C as I ideally want AAB or AAA at A level. Sadly I got a D in both German and Maths...
This is really worrying me now because, I don’t know if I made the right decision with my A levels. All our exams were in one week and I think that perhaps I couldn’t handle the pressure, but is that really an excuse. I really want good predicted grades so I have as many options for my university choices but I’m terrified I’m just not capable of any of this.
I put in so much effort too!!! Sadly this led to me over straining my eyes and everything is a bit fuzzy ☹️

Any suggestions on what I should do to progress for next year and ensure that I will advance?

Thankyou!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Defiantly drop the forth subject (unless you already have.) I was doing 1 AS (spread over 2 years) and 3 Alevels for a bit of Y12 and it honestly is pointless. University's won't care if you have done four, just how well you do in three. Like honestly don't keep doing them all.I can't really speak for your subjects but a D isnt actually that bad in a mock. Our y12 mocks consisted of an one hour paper for each subject, so we had minimal stuff we really needed to learn - therefore, it was easy. Sitting like that many exams for y12 mocks is hard so it isn't a shock that you didn't get all A's. In my last year of A- Level i have learnt so much more and sitting exams became completely different - just sit practice papers throughout y13, even if it is just once a week. Learning technique is completely different to GCSE's, as at GCSE's there wasn't really any technique to learn, which there is in alevels.You have another year!
Reply 3
Thankyou so much!
I have dropped the fourth subject and I really feel my others were held back by it. I just hope the grade for it is worth while now.
Thanks for your advice, it’s actually motivating me to keep trying because I guess it is still the first year.
Original post by Lilyachilleos
Defiantly drop the forth subject (unless you already have.) I was doing 1 AS (spread over 2 years) and 3 Alevels for a bit of Y12 and it honestly is pointless. University's won't care if you have done four, just how well you do in three. Like honestly don't keep doing them all.I can't really speak for your subjects but a D isnt actually that bad in a mock. Our y12 mocks consisted of an one hour paper for each subject, so we had minimal stuff we really needed to learn - therefore, it was easy. Sitting like that many exams for y12 mocks is hard so it isn't a shock that you didn't get all A's. In my last year of A- Level i have learnt so much more and sitting exams became completely different - just sit practice papers throughout y13, even if it is just once a week. Learning technique is completely different to GCSE's, as at GCSE's there wasn't really any technique to learn, which there is in alevels.You have another year!

Quick Reply

Latest