The Student Room Group

Trigger: constant physical harassment in India

As a female in India, being a victim of physical harassment like being touched, or/ and being pushed is normal. Age or looks or clothing is OFCOURSE is not a determinant factor. Most females endure this and repeatedly too. It is disgusting I know. I’m a victim every single time I leave my house and have endured such sexual and physical harassment and assault even in my house ( by male house help). I have been told to accept from a very young age that men do push and touch women, no matter the body part, and we must protect ourselves. There is STILL not significant awareness of people stopping assaults. Not to blame all people of a particular gender but I am tired of us having to go through this (males harassing women but vice Vera sometimes too).
What are your views? How can we change this? I feel violated #metoo
(edited 4 years ago)
I am so sorry that you have to experience this harassment. I live in the Uk and therefore do not have as much contact with this level of abuse, but would recommend contacting the police or equivalent authority every time this occurs. I do not think ignorance will be changed, but within movements such as #metoo , women and men are becoming more aware.

Hopefully we will live in a future one day where violent and sexual abuse for both men and women ends, but until then, I think that it is the little things that count, like making others speak up.

Try speaking to any male relations to make them aware of your discomfort, and perhaps they will learn. Tell them to imagine it was you they were ‘catcalling’ or abusing, and how the family of those effected would feel. If everyone did this, there would be no one left to abuse.

Best of luck, sending hope and prayers xxx
Original post by shehnaaz
As a female in India, being a victim of physical harassment like being touched, or/ and being pushed is normal. Age or looks or clothing is OFCOURSE is not a determinant factor. Most females endure this and repeatedly too. It is disgusting I know. I’m a victim every single time I leave my house and have endured such sexual and physical harassment and assault even in my house ( by male house help). I have been told to accept from a very young age that men do push and touch women, no matter the body part, and we must protect ourselves. There is STILL not significant awareness of people stopping assaults. Not to blame all people of a particular gender but I am tired of us having to go through this (males harassing women by vice Vera’s sometimes too).
What are your views? How can we change this? I feel violated #metoo
Reply 2
Original post by sophiehope2019
I am so sorry that you have to experience this harassment. I live in the Uk and therefore do not have as much contact with this level of abuse, but would recommend contacting the police or equivalent authority every time this occurs. I do not think ignorance will be changed, but within movements such as #metoo , women and men are becoming more aware.

Hopefully we will live in a future one day where violent and sexual abuse for both men and women ends, but until then, I think that it is the little things that count, like making others speak up.

Try speaking to any male relations to make them aware of your discomfort, and perhaps they will learn. Tell them to imagine it was you they were ‘catcalling’ or abusing, and how the family of those effected would feel. If everyone did this, there would be no one left to abuse.

Best of luck, sending hope and prayers xxx

Thanks for your reply!
I wish it was as easy to reduce such happenings by getting help from male members or the police.
This situation has been considered “normal” for many is the conditions are better now but I hope for large improvements to take place.
The uk also has a significant problem with sexual assaults, men indecently exposing themselves to women on public transport and the harassment of women in public places.
The police need to take this seriously, arrest the offenders and the law needs to send a clear message that it won't be tolerated.
My best friend works in india, lives in a secure complex with armed bodyguards and always travels with two dogs.
I'm not supporting the death penalty under any circumstances but the indian media, politicians and police need to start taking it seriously.
Reply 4
Why has this topic not gotten much attention. Where are all the feminists?

Oh, I see...., India isn't the UK so it's not really worth getting all worked up over.
it's horrible
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
The uk also has a significant problem with sexual assaults, men indecently exposing themselves to women on public transport and the harassment of women in public places.
The police need to take this seriously, arrest the offenders and the law needs to send a clear message that it won't be tolerated.
My best friend works in india, lives in a secure complex with armed bodyguards and always travels with two dogs.
I'm not supporting the death penalty under any circumstances but the indian media, politicians and police need to start taking it seriously.

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with you.
Reply 7
Original post by ANM775
Why has this topic not gotten much attention. Where are all the feminists?

Oh, I see...., India isn't the UK so it's not really worth getting all worked up over.

Thanks for your reply. You could also share your views on this case. Also “feminists” shouldn’t be blamed for not replying, they can choose not to because they have the right. You could maybe call out people other than feminists because everyone is getting hurt from being abused, not just women. Nobody is forced to reply to this thread, it is solely for me to know exactly how people feel about these topics.
Also, I appreciate you replying.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Obolinda
it's horrible

I know, thanks for your reply. Hearing that these things are rising in the UK too (rather ore-existing matters being brought out in the public eye), makes me even more concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending