The Student Room Group

Why don’t I know anything?

Feel like when people talk intellectually I never know what they’re on about and don’t know a lot of well known facts about language, history etc, in university and I just feel so dumb, is this normal or am I just thick
Reply 1
Original post by jodie_potter2
Feel like when people talk intellectually I never know what they’re on about and don’t know a lot of well known facts about language, history etc, in university and I just feel so dumb, is this normal or am I just thick

To me, it sounds more like you're not used to having these sort of discussions and that the people you are talking about tend to be well read.You could just learn more about common topics, involving politics and current affairs, science, language, history and the likes. I see it as a good thing being aware of such things, as it means you'll get to learn more from others and see things from a different perspective.

Why you comparing knowledge? You prolly know stuff that they don’t. Comparison brings unnecessary distress. Don’t compare. Work hard. Chill. Enjoy life. Sleep. Eat. Work hard. Don’t compare.

Is your real name potter?
Reply 4

Feel like people use too much jargon nowadays. I wouldn’t worry about it
Reply 5
Throwing around facts taken from Wikipedia doesn't make one smart or intelligent.
atleast it means you are hanging with the right crowd use it as an opportunity to learn
Reply 7
are you Socrates?

If you don't spend much time learning these tidbits, they obviously don't interest you. Why would you be bothered by not knowing stuff which doesn't interest you? Do your own thing.
By just listening to them you will find out some great tidbits for the next convo. Draw the other person out by asking them to talk about themselves. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. I have learnt a lot just by being on TSR. After all, what are we doing? Having a conversation! Use us as practice
Original post by Notoriety
If you don't spend much time learning these tidbits, they obviously don't interest you. Why would you be bothered by not knowing stuff which doesn't interest you? Do your own thing.

Original post by Oxford Mum
By just listening to them you will find out some great tidbits for the next convo. Draw the other person out by asking them to talk about themselves. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. I have learnt a lot just by being on TSR. After all, what are we doing? Having a conversation! Use us as practice

I always thought it was titbits? Is this a Northern thing?
Original post by harrysbar

No, it's American. We spent too much watching Jason Bourne and stuff.
No, it's American. We spent too much watching Jason Bourne and stuff.

I like a bit of Matt Damon myself
Reply 13
Personally, I think approaching the situation a bit more optimistically might help.:h:
Instead of thinking "I don't know anything in this conversation", maybe try "There's a lot of new things I can learn from this conversation" and don't be afraid to ask for clarification because there's nothing to be embarrassed in not knowing something and admitting to not knowing, it happens to all of us in the presence of those who are more experienced or educated.
But if it really affects you, then do try reading up on certain topics more and watching the news every day. Those are 2 things I find helpful.
I would like to point out that knowing a book full of facts, in my opinion, doesn't make anyone intellectual.
I appreciate people who are curious to learn and in turn willing to impart their knowledge onto others.

Hope you have a good day!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar

Titbits round our way as well, but only ever see it written as tidbits so ours is likely a mispronunciation.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending