The Student Room Group

Choosing between the 'better' or 'worse' university

So I'm in year 12 and I'm looking at Uni's to apply to. The two main ones that I'm interested in are Liverpool and Keele, but I'm a bit stuck on choosing between them (though I know I don't have to decide quite yet).

On the one hand, Liverpool is a Red brick, is highly ranked and the course I'm looking at has a higher entry requirement than the same one at Keele. So, on paper, this is the statistically better Uni, which also has a good reputation.

On the other hand, Keele seems much more like somewhere I'd enjoy. The whole environment and setting is much more appealing to me than the city centre Liverpool campus, as I've never really enjoyed clubbing or nightlife that much. I've heard some really good student reviews, too. Most people seem to really enjoy it there.

It's not like I don't think I would enjoy Liverpool, though. It's just slightly more out of my comfort zone. But maybe that means it would be a good place for me?

I do really love Keele from first impressions, but if I get a place for both it just sort of feels weird to choose the technically worse option, if that makes sense.
Reply 1
Honestly if it's the same course, same qualification, it shouldn't make a difference. Just go with whichever you think you would enjoy more and be happiest at. For the most part, employers really won't care where you went to uni, as long as you've got the right qualification/relevent experience. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can be a good thing though, but don't chose Liverpool just because of the better reputation and stuff. If you really loved Keele, then just go there. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lilisea
Honestly if it's the same course, same qualification, it shouldn't make a difference. Just go with whichever you think you would enjoy more and be happiest at. For the most part, employers really won't care where you went to uni, as long as you've got the right qualification/relevent experience. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can be a good thing though, but don't chose Liverpool just because of the better reputation and stuff. If you really loved Keele, then just go there. :smile:

The more I look at Keele the more I want to go there, it's really does seem like a place I'd enjoy. Still got my A-levels to do though so I guess I'll see what happens! :biggrin:
Original post by Aeg4123
So I'm in year 12 and I'm looking at Uni's to apply to. The two main ones that I'm interested in are Liverpool and Keele, but I'm a bit stuck on choosing between them (though I know I don't have to decide quite yet).

On the one hand, Liverpool is a Red brick, is highly ranked and the course I'm looking at has a higher entry requirement than the same one at Keele. So, on paper, this is the statistically better Uni, which also has a good reputation.

On the other hand, Keele seems much more like somewhere I'd enjoy. The whole environment and setting is much more appealing to me than the city centre Liverpool campus, as I've never really enjoyed clubbing or nightlife that much. I've heard some really good student reviews, too. Most people seem to really enjoy it there.

It's not like I don't think I would enjoy Liverpool, though. It's just slightly more out of my comfort zone. But maybe that means it would be a good place for me?

I do really love Keele from first impressions, but if I get a place for both it just sort of feels weird to choose the technically worse option, if that makes sense.

It is early for you to make decisions but the best advice is normally to go to the place that really appeals to you the most, and there isn't that much difference between Liverpool and Keele anyway, reputation wise. I also think you should carry on attending Open Days and thinking about different unis - who knows, you mind find another one that you like better than Liverpool or Keele :smile:
I dropped out of Keele in the first year as I really did not like it and I switched to Liverpool University and I love it. What made me hate Keele was the isolated campus and not a lot going on, but I guess some people like that. Other than that the lecturers and staff at Keele are so friendly and great
What subject do you want to do out of interest?
Reply 6
Original post by Themysticalegg
What subject do you want to do out of interest?

I want to do a combined or joint degree with Business Studies and Media. As far as I'm aware, these are the best two university options for me in terms of that course.
Original post by Aeg4123
I want to do a combined or joint degree with Business Studies and Media. As far as I'm aware, these are the best two university options for me in terms of that course.

Choose the one with the location you prefer I would advise an open day as Keele and Liverpool are completely different in terms of the student life. University ‘prestige’ won’t impact you with this degree, choose the one with the course content you prefer. If you have any questions about business studies in particular lemme know as that was my degree. :smile:
Keele is very good for joint degrees. What other universities have you looked at. I assume you are looking towards a campus university in a green environment in a small town. How far are you prepared to travel.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Keele is very good for joint degrees. What other universities have you looked at. I assume you are looking towards a campus university in a green environment in a small town. How far are you prepared to travel.

I'm practically right in the middle of keele and liverpool. I've looked at other Unis like Leeds and Lancaster but I would have to choose between business or media if I went.
Lancaster was one I was thinking of with a green campus. There a number with green campuses down South but I Suspect you want to travel that far.
Original post by Aeg4123
I'm practically right in the middle of keele and liverpool. I've looked at other Unis like Leeds and Lancaster but I would have to choose between business or media if I went.
I’m kinda in the same boat as you, I’m also in yr 12 and choosing whether to go to keele or Liverpool. Every time someone asks me where I want to go for university, I say Keele. I’m not to sure why it attracts me so much. I’ve heard the night life there isn’t as good as Liverpool (i want to go to a uni that has a good night life just to make up for the the parties and fun times I’ve missed as a teenager). Unfortunately keele is literally like a 10 minutes drive from my exes house which means if I was over commuting to places like Hanley for clubs I’d probably see himself. Anyway what about keele attracts you?
You haven't even got offers from either yet, just chill for now
Apply to them both and wait for offers before deciding, other things may change your mind or affect your decision

@Leahmitch The fact it is near your exes house shouldn't really be a playing factor. For all you know he is moving away too
Reply 13
Just a small update

I applied for both Liverpool and Keele whilst slowly falling more in love with Keele, then I got offered an unconditional place there so looks like I'm sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending