The Student Room Group

OCR A-LEVEL RELIGIOUS STUDIES - ETHICS - 11TH JUNE predictions?

Hey guys,
My philosophy thread seemed to do well so here's another one for ethics.
If anyone has any predictions fire awayyyy...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know what the As level ethics paper was on this year?
https://ithinkthereforeiteach.com/
Original post by Imiroser
Reply 3
- Sexual ethics (I'd be very surprised if it doesn't come up)- At least one focused on a normative ethical theory (expect a specific/precisely worded question)- Euthanasia and/or business ethics (either as an application of situation ethics/utilitarianism or directly i.e. 'CSR is a hypocritical attempt to more profit' Discuss.) - Conscience and metaethics seem least likely to come up. May still be tested as examiners know we'll find them challenging.
Reply 4
I'm hoping for sexual ethics, and hopefully an easy theory like natural law.
Also guys, does anyone have any tips for essay structure? For some reason with ethics I find it so difficult to structure essays and have the clear argument you can with the other two. Particularly with meta-ethics and conscience, what particular things can they ask?
Original post by Imiroser

1. Voluntary euthanasia is always morally acceptable.’ Discuss
2. ‘The concept of agape gives no help at all in moral decision-making.’ Discuss.
3. Critically assess the view that utilitarianism provides a helpful way to make moral decisions.
Reply 6
for sexual ethics essays do we need to talk about the normative ethical theories in all our essays? :smile:
yes; utilitarianism, kantican ethics, natural moral law and situation ethics can all be applied.
Original post by Sash44
for sexual ethics essays do we need to talk about the normative ethical theories in all our essays? :smile:
Reply 8
so if the question didn't specifically ask about any of the four theories, do we still use them to form the basis of our essay or not? x
Original post by Kirstyhaynes
yes; utilitarianism, kantican ethics, natural moral law and situation ethics can all be applied.
I think it depends what the question is but with regards to most topics (pre marital, extra martial and homosexuality) you can usually link in all the four theories and the different types of Christian beliefs x
Original post by Sash44
so if the question didn't specifically ask about any of the four theories, do we still use them to form the basis of our essay or not? x
Reply 10
cool thank u :smile:
Original post by Kirstyhaynes
I think it depends what the question is but with regards to most topics (pre marital, extra martial and homosexuality) you can usually link in all the four theories and the different types of Christian beliefs x
Reply 11
4 topics and all three issues is too much to cover in one essay imo
If its an application question for sex ethics I'm going to use 3 topics and 2 issues.
Reply 12
just out of curiosity if the question is about natural law specifically like "natural law provides a good method for moral-decision making" would you still try and apply it to euthanasia/sexual ethics?
Original post by Ibi6
4 topics and all three issues is too much to cover in one essay imo
If its an application question for sex ethics I'm going to use 3 topics and 2 issues.
Reply 13
Yh I would.
Original post by hira.naz
just out of curiosity if the question is about natural law specifically like "natural law provides a good method for moral-decision making" would you still try and apply it to euthanasia/sexual ethics?
Reply 14
Okay cool thank thanks and good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Ibi6
Yh I would.
Reply 15
any predictions for tomorrow?
i structure mine as doing 5 paragraphs (3 really long ones) so in the intro say whether you agree or disagree with the Q & say WHY then i do 1 theorist for it & 1 theorist against then say overall whether you agree with the Q or not

then the 3 paragraphs are your arguments so what i like to do is depending on whether i’m arguing for or against so for example if i argues for i’d do 2 paragraphs where i first make a point, evaluate, make another point evaluate (including sources & theorists to back you up) then do a counter (can be like a sentence or so) then i counter the counter & then link back to the Q i do this twice if i’m arguing FOR then for ky against paragraphs i make one point evaluate against then argue against that counter then counter it again (so there’s 2 counter points against the against paragraph) so i’m balancing the counter out & saying actually why it’s not a good counter then link back to Q

then for the conclusion i’d first agree/disagree with the q, the most important factor...although it could be said...however...then agree/disagree with Q

i’ve learnt this structure which has helped me be getting A’s in my essays if i’ve confused you just dm me sorry
Original post by lh2018
I'm hoping for sexual ethics, and hopefully an easy theory like natural law.
Also guys, does anyone have any tips for essay structure? For some reason with ethics I find it so difficult to structure essays and have the clear argument you can with the other two. Particularly with meta-ethics and conscience, what particular things can they ask?
i have a feeling OCR will do sexual ethics this year as it’s then only applied ethics that didn’t come up last year also probably will repeat a topic so maybe do natural law? i’m hoping for the normative ethical theories 🤞🏼
Reply 18
is meta ethics likely to come up?
Reply 19
I PRAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY coscience or meta ethics desnt come up I PRAYYYYYY

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending