The Student Room Group

I dont want sex/to be turned on? Help!

Recently for some reason i haven't been wanting sex or to be turned on in general. My boyfriend and i used to do it all the time but now i dont want it at all and i dont know why. Its making him think that im no longer interested in him. Whats wrong with me and what do i do?
Talk to him, reassure him.

One's libido naturally fluctuates. You are not a machine and can't simply switch it on, even if you want to. It may just be a matter of giving it time and not forcing it. For the vast vast majority of people it will simply return of its own accord.

This said poor mental health, poor lifestyle choices, stress, illness or relationship issues can also lower ones libido. Would any of there be a factor for you? If so I'd try to address them, some of them will get better by themselves others will require you to actively engage them, perhaps with help from others.

Again I'd talk to your boyfriend about how you are feeling. Being pressure into sex or sexual activity is unlikely to make you feel better and potentially could compound the issues - so I'd be very careful. This said, in a relationship I think most of us have engaged in sexual activity for the sake of our partner when we don't feel horny at some point - there is a difference between not feeling horny and not wanting to engage in sexual activity.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/loss-of-libido/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Recently for some reason i haven't been wanting sex or to be turned on in general. My boyfriend and i used to do it all the time but now i dont want it at all and i dont know why. Its making him think that im no longer interested in him. Whats wrong with me and what do i do?

Something has changed in the sense that you may be tired, feeling down, hormonal problems, stress , depressed, boyfriend issue etc. Find out what it is first.
Original post by JTfoxlove
Being pressure into sex or sexual activity is unlikely to make you feel better and potentially could compound the issues - so I'd be very careful. This said, in a relationship I think most of us have engaged in sexual activity for the sake of our partner when we don't feel horny at some point - there is a difference between not feeling horny and not wanting to engage in sexual activity.

This is very good, and very carefully worded advice. I think most of us can 'get into it' even if not the initiator.
Reply 4
Original post by JTfoxlove
Talk to him, reassure him.

One's libido naturally fluctuates. You are not a machine and can't simply switch it on, even if you want to. It may just be a matter of giving it time and not forcing it. For the vast vast majority of people it will simply return of its own accord.

This said poor mental health, poor lifestyle choices, stress, illness or relationship issues can also lower ones libido. Would any of there be a factor for you? If so I'd try to address them, some of them will get better by themselves others will require you to actively engage them, perhaps with help from others.

Again I'd talk to your boyfriend about how you are feeling. Being pressure into sex or sexual activity is unlikely to make you feel better and potentially could compound the issues - so I'd be very careful. This said, in a relationship I think most of us have engaged in sexual activity for the sake of our partner when we don't feel horny at some point - there is a difference between not feeling horny and not wanting to engage in sexual activity.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/loss-of-libido/

Thank you so much! This actually makes me feel much better and I'll look into it! x
Reply 5
Original post by mgi
Something has changed in the sense that you may be tired, feeling down, hormonal problems, stress , depressed, boyfriend issue etc. Find out what it is first.

Thank you :smile: I'll try and figure it out x

Quick Reply

Latest