The Student Room Group

Model scam?

Scroll to see replies

So it is better stay far from them, isn't it? :O
Please report it to action fraud so they receive as many complains as possible
Original post by Ruddin13
I've been emailing them non stop they ar refusing but they are actually so stupid because they are not consistent at all with their lies.
I’ve literally just been scammed by the same people. Luckily I haven’t had the shoot yet and only paid the £50 deposit. Called my bank and they’ve said that because I voluntarily gave my bank details, there’s nothing they can do unless I contact them and ask for it, so I’ve done that but just waiting on a reply. Anyone had any success with getting their deposit back? I got the call today, paid the deposit today and requested it back today so I’m hoping that counts for something. Feel so stupid😓
I’ve literally just been scammed by the same people. Luckily I haven’t had the shoot yet and only paid the £50 deposit.

Called my bank and they’ve said that because I voluntarily gave my bank details, there’s nothing they can do unless I contact them and ask for it, so I’ve done that but just waiting on a reply.

Anyone had any success with getting their deposit back? I got the call today, paid the deposit today and requested it back today so I’m hoping that counts for something.

Feel so stupid😓
Original post by Mopatop92
Does anyone know if model network or ur models are legit? And if a fully refundable deposit is legit?
They sent an email to me about the 2nd installment cause I changed my card and they can't deduct that from my account . And I ignore it.
Original post by BGArianna
I tried also negotiating and telling them to keep my £550 deposit and they still refused to. The only other option they gave me was to pay instead of £1945, £1425 which I went again to sign in case I do have any problems as it’s a bit cheaper. My next payment is due 19th may.
When your 2nd instalment is due please could you let me know what they do/tell you if they see you don’t pay it? Thank you!
Reply 45
I had a call from a guy called Muse at UR Model... he asked me to pay £75 refundable deposit, which I haven’t done yet... and now after reading all the posts here, don’t think I will!!He also wants me to go to London for a test shoot (I stay in scotland)
Reply 46
The same happened with my sister... They called us asking my father's credit card information including the CV of the card... They asked for a £50 deposit, promising a refund on the booked day. The agency is Xenon Models London.
Does anyone knows if we can trust? Please answer with urgency because my sister is so excited thinking that she just got the job of her life...
Original post by Pumpkineater93
I’ve literally just been scammed by the same people. Luckily I haven’t had the shoot yet and only paid the £50 deposit. Called my bank and they’ve said that because I voluntarily gave my bank details, there’s nothing they can do unless I contact them and ask for it, so I’ve done that but just waiting on a reply. Anyone had any success with getting their deposit back? I got the call today, paid the deposit today and requested it back today so I’m hoping that counts for something. Feel so stupid😓
Did you approach UK models or New York fashion.
Have they explained to you what the shoot is. (Beware they might ask you for money for the shoot)
Did either of the companies supply you with a card and papers.
I am guessing they ask for money upfront for you to be told you will get a refund.

No company should ask you to pay an upfront cost to model,The bare fact is, if they do ask for an upfront cost decline to pay it as companies have the privilege of recruiting you, not the other around
Original post by Mopatop92
Thanks for replying!
I have read bad things about uk models, but this ur models and New York fashion, they have booked me a shoot and have sent me emails with details and said I should ring my card and paper work with me on the day to receive a refund and now I am second guessing ysekf and maybe to late 😬
Did he explain what the £75 is for.
Is he covering the cost of you travelling to London for this shoot.

There are companies like mine in Scotland that are looking for new recruits.
Original post by sxchan
I had a call from a guy called Muse at UR Model... he asked me to pay £75 refundable deposit, which I haven’t done yet... and now after reading all the posts here, don’t think I will!!He also wants me to go to London for a test shoot (I stay in scotland)
I dont know why people think that you have to pay to start modeling.
Reputable companies have the resources there so that they don't need to ask for start up costs.
Any company asking for a start up cost isn't reputable enough or they don't have the work there to sustain ta king on a new model.

I recruit every 3 months as half of my models are only looking to model temporary jobs because of life style ie. College,Uni.

I can't emphasis enough the fact that, if companies ask for upfront costs they are generally what I call pop up companies. They take your money and then disappear
Original post by .Ana.
The same happened with my sister... They called us asking my father's credit card information including the CV of the card... They asked for a £50 deposit, promising a refund on the booked day. The agency is Xenon Models London.
Does anyone knows if we can trust? Please answer with urgency because my sister is so excited thinking that she just got the job of her life...
A legit agency will pay for your portfolio. Not the other way around.
You are right.
If the company is keen for you to be one of their models, they will cover start up costs.
Original post by Like That
A legit agency will pay for your portfolio. Not the other way around.
Original post by Model_Image
You are right.
If the company is keen for you to be one of their models, they will cover start up costs.

I sent my pic to a real agancy and a fake one as an expirement.
Really need help with this I've signed to the £900 portfolio with Newyork Studios and they have said when I pay the full amount they will send me the photos within 22 days. Is this a big scam this UR models ?
Reply 54
Original post by Dennis25
Really need help with this I've signed to the £900 portfolio with Newyork Studios and they have said when I pay the full amount they will send me the photos within 22 days. Is this a big scam this UR models ?

Yes, they're the same. Don't pay, report to Action Fraud if you like, contact bank, cancel any direct debits/any other way they could get the money.
A standard portfolio is £300 and should be covered by the modeling agency, For £900 god knows what they are trying to sell you.
Yes its a big scam as it doesnt take 3 weeks to create a portfolio,The most it will take is 7 days and definately not at a cost of £900.

DO NOT PAY THE MONEY AND CERTAINLY DONT MAKE ANYMORE CONTACT WITH THE COMPANY
I am Gobsmacked at the way they've manipulated me my photos were really strong and have good potential I was going to pay the £900 and hope for the best but I've been advised not to do this as its a huge scam. How can i retain my £200 back from them and prevent them from taking further money from me I'm gutted as really enjoyed the day and still would like to work in the modelling career?
Original post by Model_Image
A standard portfolio is £300 and should be covered by the modeling agency, For £900 god knows what they are trying to sell you.
Yes its a big scam as it doesnt take 3 weeks to create a portfolio,The most it will take is 7 days and definately not at a cost of £900.

DO NOT PAY THE MONEY AND CERTAINLY DONT MAKE ANYMORE CONTACT WITH THE COMPANY
You just answered your own question. Bceause you say potential in your pictures,that it what they will have used against you.
If you haven't signed a contract,you have a cooling off period of 14 days. You are entitled to any monies you unfortunately paid as you haven't signed anything,even if you have, the contract will have a clause stating that you are entitled to a refund if you decide to back out within 14 days.
I am Gobsmacked at the way they've manipulated me my photos were really strong and have good potential I was going to pay the £900 and hope for the best but I've been advised not to do this as its a huge scam. How can i retain my £200 back from them and prevent them from taking further money from me I'm gutted as really enjoyed the day and still would like to work in the modelling career?
Original post by sxchan

Seems like they increase the amount of their fake deposit from £50 to £75. Don't accept the offer and don't even paid for that
I've received this reply and I'm furious.
Screenshot_20190624-153902.jpgScreenshot_20190624-153902.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending