The Student Room Group

I'm 18 and want to stop my period

It's just so bloody annoying feeling it all the time. I usually have it for 4 days only but it's the second day and it's just too much. I want to stop it for good because it causes me discomfort and stops me carrying out everyday tasks. I can't be bothered changing my pad and tampons are forbidden in Islam. I just feel lazy and can't be bothered. I find it difficult to swallow pills so I can't go on birth control but what can I do to stop it permanently?
I got the implant and it was the best thing I ever did! I haven’t had a period for over 5 months. Just bare with the implant tho because it will initially make you bleed (very light bleeding) constantly for a couple of weeks, and if this doesn’t stop, taking the pill alongside it is the way to stop the bleeding.
Beware, this doesn’t work for everyone but I know a few people it has worked for so might be worth a try?
Original post by Anonymous
It's just so bloody annoying feeling it all the time. I usually have it for 4 days only but it's the second day and it's just too much. I want to stop it for good because it causes me discomfort and stops me carrying out everyday tasks. I can't be bothered changing my pad and tampons are forbidden in Islam. I just feel lazy and can't be bothered. I find it difficult to swallow pills so I can't go on birth control but what can I do to stop it permanently?

It sucks, but it is a part of life! Try to change your pad often (every few hours depending on the flow) so you will feel more comfortable. You can try things to lessen the pain or make you feel better during your period - light exercise, rest, primrose oil, tea, chocolate etc. If you find the pain is too unbearable, it might be worth going to see your GP to see if they can recommend anything or give you more advice.
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
It sucks, but it is a part of life! Try to change your pad often (every few hours depending on the flow) so you will feel more comfortable. You can try things to lessen the pain or make you feel better during your period - light exercise, rest, primrose oil, tea, chocolate etc. If you find the pain is too unbearable, it might be worth going to see your GP to see if they can recommend anything or give you more advice.

It doesnt cause pain, just the feeling of it coming out. When i sit down, i just want to sit down amd not get up but obviously you cant do that.
Reply 4
Original post by Xjabnrlv_saadx
I got the implant and it was the best thing I ever did! I haven’t had a period for over 5 months. Just bare with the implant tho because it will initially make you bleed (very light bleeding) constantly for a couple of weeks, and if this doesn’t stop, taking the pill alongside it is the way to stop the bleeding.
Beware, this doesn’t work for everyone but I know a few people it has worked for so might be worth a try?

Would it work on people with russell silver syndrome though? One of the symptoms of russell silver syndrome is low weight and height and my arms are like sticks so..
Would it work on people with russell silver syndrome though? One of the symptoms of russell silver syndrome is low weight and height and my arms are like sticks so..

Do you really think a bunch of students are going to know the answer to this question? You need to see your GP. In the meantime, consider trying tampons so you don't have to deal with the feeling of blood coming out.

I couldn’t tell you the exact answer to that, can’t remember the dr saying anything about weight concerns but progesterone only birth control can lead to osteoporosis. You need to talk to a doctor about that one tho.
I couldn’t tell you the exact answer to that, can’t remember the dr saying anything about weight concerns but progesterone only birth control can lead to osteoporosis. You need to talk to a doctor about that one tho.

Only the injection is associated with increased risk of osteoporosis.
Only the injection is associated with increased risk of osteoporosis.

My doctor told me if I used the implant for 2+ years there was a minor risk of developing osteoporosis.
My doctor told me if I used the implant for 2+ years there was a minor risk of developing osteoporosis.

Current guidelines say there is no evidence that it has a clinically significant adverse effect on bone mineral density.
Current guidelines say there is no evidence that it has a clinically significant adverse effect on bone mineral density.

Ok, that’s great! My doctor warned me it may have an effect on my bone density, thus leading to osteoporosis. I’m merely repeating the warning she gave me.
Ok, that’s great! My doctor warned me it may have an effect on my bone density, thus leading to osteoporosis. I’m merely repeating the warning she gave me.

She needs to do some reading to update her knowledge :wink:
She needs to do some reading to update her knowledge :wink:

I don’t know, she has had however many years worth of training. Also why are you so bothered? She said there was a very very small chance that if I had my implant for 2+ years I may be at an increased risk of developing osteoporosis. It’s not a matter of life or death! She didn’t tell me I’d definitely get it, just that they had research to suggest it was a possibility
I'm on the injection and 70% of women on it don't get their period. You need to get it every 12 weeks, but there aren't many side effects and it's quite easy, and you don't have to remember it.
Original post by Leoniehsr
I'm on the injection and 70% of women on it don't get their period. You need to get it every 12 weeks, but there aren't many side effects and it's quite easy, and you don't have to remember it.

actually, loads of people do have side effects with the injection. it also really screws up your periods for up to a year after stopping, and it increases your risk of getting osteoporosis (unlike other progesterone methods). but yeah, only having to get it every 12 weeks is a bonus.

Quick Reply

Latest