doing two math specifications at the same time?

Watch
Reyzoe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
can I do two math specs at the same time? I'm planning on resitting because honestly the new spec for edexcel isn't working out for me. this obv has to do with the first paper being awful and the fact that we feel like lab rats waiting for grades lower than we expected before these exams doesn't help. I'm taking a gap year anyway, but resits aren't till next summer, so i thought, since ive got so much time,i could do the IAL math along the spec im doing now and they're both edexcel. difference is the IAL will be combined w further math and the one im doing now has applied stats and mech so i get to do both in the end?? idk i need some advice or guidance please. i dont mind resitting but i also dont want to take a whole new spec, even tho its easier and similar to the old one, and realizing two years of hard work and stress went for nothing and that i wont get a good grade on this current qualification yk.

P.S. this is because i told my teacher about wanting to resit, but not wanting it to affect my application for top unis in any way, so he recommended i either do it w a new candidate number or ditch this and do another easier spec w same topics and just more papers and options. thought on this ?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reyzoe)
can I do two math specs at the same time? I'm planning on resitting because honestly the new spec for edexcel isn't working out for me. this obv has to do with the first paper being awful and the fact that we feel like lab rats waiting for grades lower than we expected before these exams doesn't help. I'm taking a gap year anyway, but resits aren't till next summer, so i thought, since ive got so much time,i could do the IAL math along the spec im doing now and they're both edexcel. difference is the IAL will be combined w further math and the one im doing now has applied stats and mech so i get to do both in the end?? idk i need some advice or guidance please. i dont mind resitting but i also dont want to take a whole new spec, even tho its easier and similar to the old one, and realizing two years of hard work and stress went for nothing and that i wont get a good grade on this current qualification yk.

P.S. this is because i told my teacher about wanting to resit, but not wanting it to affect my application for top unis in any way, so he recommended i either do it w a new candidate number or ditch this and do another easier spec w same topics and just more papers and options. thought on this ?
There's no point in doing two completely different exam board and specification when you will get the same qualification. It's a big waste of money and time, so just stick to Edexcel. Which subject exactly do you want to do at uni?
Reyzoe
Rep:
?
thank you for the help. I'm currently looking into computer science, human resource, electrical engineering or business analytics. thus, i thought that being able to have further maths and applied advance mech&stats, even tho they're diff specs but same board nevertheless, would help me more.
the thing is you cant take the new spec of core and further math along with the new spec of pure n applied math. therefore, id have to switch to IAL to do further. but i still want statsandmech to not go to waste too because ive worked hard for them. this is what I've been informed. plus i dont want to have a previous bad qualification in pure maths just laying there where unis could see and after earning an excellent but different one in further.
(Original post by kkboyk)
There's no point in doing two completely different exam board and specification when you will get the same qualification. It's a big waste of money and time, so just stick to Edexcel. Which subject exactly do you want to do at uni?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reyzoe)
thank you for the help. I'm currently looking into computer science, human resource, electrical engineering or business analytics. thus, i thought that being able to have further maths and applied advance mech&stats, even tho they're diff specs but same board nevertheless, would help me more.
the thing is you cant take the new spec of core and further math along with the new spec of pure n applied math. therefore, id have to switch to IAL to do further. but i still want statsandmech to not go to waste too because ive worked hard for them. this is what I've been informed. plus i dont want to have a previous bad qualification in pure maths just laying there where unis could see and after earning an excellent but different one in further.
Cant' really understand you properly, so you want to take FM only, but on a different exam board compared to your normal Maths A-level? You can indeed do FM with a different exam board, but its better to do it with the same exam board as your regular Maths A-level.
Reyzoe
Rep:
?
oh sorry! :'). I am taking Edexcel Pure math and applied statsnmech, the reformed ones that are compiled into three papers now, and those are just A level Maths qualification. The one with further math that im interested in is form Edexcel too but its International A level math. they dont differ much ig but i wanna know if i can do both and is it worth doing them together. im only looking to do the IAL one for its further math components btw.
(Original post by kkboyk)
Cant' really understand you properly, so you want to take FM only, but on a different exam board compared to your normal Maths A-level? You can indeed do FM with a different exam board, but its better to do it with the same exam board as your regular Maths A-level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.58%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.71%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed