The Student Room Group

How long will it take to get to grade 8 on the piano?

I'm 13 (almost 14) and I have been desperate to learn the piano for ages. My dad finally let me get piano lessons and I'm going to start next week when we start going to school again. I want to know how long it takes to get to grade 8 and roughly how hard it is to go through all of the grades.
Original post by 123amie
I'm 13 (almost 14) and I have been desperate to learn the piano for ages. My dad finally let me get piano lessons and I'm going to start next week when we start going to school again. I want to know how long it takes to get to grade 8 and roughly how hard it is to go through all of the grades.

I started roughly the same age as you! I will say that it mostly depends on who's teaching you. Some will start teaching you Grade 1 straight away and some will teach you the basics first. I spent about a year and a half doing beginner books, learning theory, learning the letter names on the piano and playing simple songs. Because of that I only did my Grade 1 exam last year (doing my Grade 2 at the moment) and I'm 17. Theoretically, if you learn a grade a year, then it would take 8 years. But it all depends on how well you do in the exams. Let's say you failed your Grade 1 exam, you might want to decide to wait until the next exam, which will push you back until you get the score that you want.

So in short:
1. Depending on the teaching it could take a long time
2. Depends on how committed you are- if you don't regularly practice then it will take longer to learn the pieces and enter the exam for that year.
3. The success of the actual exam- you might want to do the exam again if you've failed.

Hope this gives a rough guide. Enjoy learning the piano, it's fun and yes, it does get hard, so get practising! :smile:

If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi! Just got a merit in my grade 8... Took me about 12 years but I was doing 2 instruments at once :smile: If you really try and aren't afraid to skip grades you can do it in about 7/8 years. Good luck!
Original post by Shaunie3
I started roughly the same age as you! I will say that it mostly depends on who's teaching you. Some will start teaching you Grade 1 straight away and some will teach you the basics first. I spent about a year and a half doing beginner books, learning theory, learning the letter names on the piano and playing simple songs. Because of that I only did my Grade 1 exam last year (doing my Grade 2 at the moment) and I'm 17. Theoretically, if you learn a grade a year, then it would take 8 years. But it all depends on how well you do in the exams. Let's say you failed your Grade 1 exam, you might want to decide to wait until the next exam, which will push you back until you get the score that you want.

So in short:
1. Depending on the teaching it could take a long time
2. Depends on how committed you are- if you don't regularly practice then it will take longer to learn the pieces and enter the exam for that year.
3. The success of the actual exam- you might want to do the exam again if you've failed.

Hope this gives a rough guide. Enjoy learning the piano, it's fun and yes, it does get hard, so get practising! :smile:

If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TomSmith12345
Hi! Just got a merit in my grade 8... Took me about 12 years but I was doing 2 instruments at once :smile: If you really try and aren't afraid to skip grades you can do it in about 7/8 years. Good luck!

Thanks, I've already learnt a few basics in music lessons at school but I really want to advance in playing the piano :smile:
Reply 5
I actually started about a year and a half ago, and I'm currently level 8. I'm 15 so we are basically the same age. If you want to be level 8, you go do that. Lots of people say it's impossible but like umm I did it so? If you are motivated and willing to sacrifice a bit of time you can get good really really quick.
Original post by username2916290
Reply 6
Are there like different grading systems? I've been taking for a year and a half and I'm level 8. Like I mean granted I practice for like hours every day I was just wondering.
Original post by TomSmith12345
Original post by 73207
Are there like different grading systems? I've been taking for a year and a half and I'm level 8. Like I mean granted I practice for like hours every day I was just wondering.

There's no way you can be GRADE 8 after a year... I think there are genuine walls in place so you have to play for a number of years before you can take the exam- what instrument do you play? I'm not familiar with the levels vs grades thing

Hello, right now I'm 17 and started at the same age as you, at 14 and started doing grades at 15. I skipped most grades and only took grade 5 practical, grade 5 theory and grade 8 practical. I just got my merit last week in grade 8; so I think that anyone is well capable to do the same. If you don't really want to put the effort in then I would say it could take 4/5 years to get there nonetheless. Hope that this can motivate you! (Although I still didn't get distinction 😅)

It depends how well you pick it up. I’m doing grade 4 & 5 now, and have had lessons for about a year and a half. I play many other instruments too and so it’s hard to find time to practise at all but it just depends on how quickly you pick up techniques, reading music, etc.

took me 3 years

Hey! I know I’m opening a really old thread but I just want to ask how it went since this was six years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending