The Student Room Group

Uni Choices

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm 21 and have been working for a couple years since college. I'm now looking to apply to uni and am coming here because advice is hard to find when you no longer have a college to help you!

I'm looking at doing English. My grades are BBC and B in EPQ. My choices so far are Nottingham Trent, Sheffield and Leicester.

My issue is that Sheffield and Leicester both ask for higher grades than I've got. I'm hoping with a good personal statement/references I could get an offer from one of them.

Is it too risky to only put 1 uni that I am likely to get an offer from? If Nottingham Trent is full or whatever, I might be scuppered. What do you think my chances of an offer from Sheffield/Leicester are? Is it worth the risk?

Thank you for your help.
It’s always best to apply to as many uni’s to keep your options open so I’d apply for them all then just chose which one you want to go to when you have received your offers
Original post by Matt.avf98
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm 21 and have been working for a couple years since college. I'm now looking to apply to uni and am coming here because advice is hard to find when you no longer have a college to help you!

I'm looking at doing English. My grades are BBC and B in EPQ. My choices so far are Nottingham Trent, Sheffield and Leicester.

My issue is that Sheffield and Leicester both ask for higher grades than I've got. I'm hoping with a good personal statement/references I could get an offer from one of them.

Is it too risky to only put 1 uni that I am likely to get an offer from? If Nottingham Trent is full or whatever, I might be scuppered. What do you think my chances of an offer from Sheffield/Leicester are? Is it worth the risk?

Thank you for your help.

you only really need 1 offer as you can only go to 1 university. How about adding Sheffield Hallam or maybe Leicester De Montford. I assume you are only looking in that area. There are 2 things in your favour. You are classed as a mature student so universities might accept lower grades and secondly in the current climate universities are tendering to make offers to and accept prospective students with grades slightly below their normal offer.
Hi @Matt.avf98

I recommend applying for as many universities as you can, to increase your chances of getting into university, even if the grade boundaries are higher than your predicted grades. For English at Hallam these are the entry requirements:

UCAS points - 112
This must include at least 2 A Levels or equivalent BTEC qualifications. For example:

- BBC at A Level. (it looks like your grades match this?)
- DMM in BTEC Extended Diploma.
- A combination of qualifications, which may include AS levels, EPQ and general studies.

If you want more details on this give admissions a ring and they can go into more details on it. 0114 225 5555 and then ask to be put through to admissions.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Bridget

Original post by Matt.avf98
Hi,

Thank you for your help.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending