The Student Room Group

What is everyone's biggest achievement???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leviathan1611
I think I bought the kit from Amazon, you can get it from the website wonderlandmodels.com also.

image-1f3f8078-38c9-4e94-a674-266ec9e69b9a1638362118056279056-compressed.jpg.jpeg
image-fe4470f5-c050-479e-a04e-2f999f3a6f65589954100257660556-compressed.jpg.jpeg

How long did it take to build? :eek:
Original post by Pathway
How long did it take to build? :eek:

I think three months, but I'm sure I would have got it done within a month but I kinda gave up halfway for some reason and didn't touch it for a few weeks I think. I can't remember exactly what happened.
2-3 months I guess
I think I bought the kit from Amazon, you can get it from the website wonderlandmodels.com also.

image-1f3f8078-38c9-4e94-a674-266ec9e69b9a1638362118056279056-compressed.jpg.jpeg
image-fe4470f5-c050-479e-a04e-2f999f3a6f65589954100257660556-compressed.jpg.jpeg

looks cool I might build one
I think three months, but I'm sure I would have got it done within a month but I kinda gave up halfway for some reason and didn't touch it for a few weeks I think. I can't remember exactly what happened.
2-3 months I guess

That's pretty cool tbh, it looks super intricate, well done for not giving up entirely!
Original post by karl pilkington
looks cool I might build one

awesome 🙂 if you do, make sure to buy more paint since the amount they give you with the kit was barely enough for the hull and floors.👍
Original post by Pathway
That's pretty cool tbh, it looks super intricate, well done for not giving up entirely!

thank you, some parts were a bit crazy, for example, I had the glue parts together just to make a staircase the size of my small toe.🙃

I plan of building a bigger ship this summer once I finish my exams, I don't think I'll give up on this one either, but it is a lot more complicated.
thank you, some parts were a bit crazy, for example, I had the glue parts together just to make a staircase the size of my small toe.🙃

I plan of building a bigger ship this summer once I finish my exams, I don't think I'll give up on this one either, but it is a lot more complicated.

Oh wow, that's tiny, are there things on the inside too then? Or just the outside? What's the new ship you're gonna try and build? I hope you're able to build it. Looks like a cool hobby tbf.
Having 9A* and 8As in total. Think I probably peaked in school
Original post by Pathway
Oh wow, that's tiny, are there things on the inside too then? Or just the outside? What's the new ship you're gonna try and build? I hope you're able to build it. Looks like a cool hobby tbf.

no not really, just whatever can be seen, there's no design on the inside since it can't be seen anyway, so mainly just the outside.

I'm going to build the 1:350 scale German Battleship Bismarck, I'm gonna have a lot of fun painting that hull😍 if I get stuck, I'll just watch YouTube videos of someone building it also, that's what I did for Titanic when I didn't know how to put on the ropes.
yeah it's a very fun hobby, I love building things, but it's expensive too😁😭
no not really, just whatever can be seen, there's no design on the inside since it can't be seen anyway, so mainly just the outside.

I'm going to build the 1:350 scale German Battleship Bismarck, I'm gonna have a lot of fun painting that hull😍 if I get stuck, I'll just watch YouTube videos of someone building it also, that's what I did for Titanic when I didn't know how to put on the ropes.
yeah it's a very fun hobby, I love building things, but it's expensive too😁😭

Ohh, yeah, I can imagine. How did you get into this hobby? Don't come across it that often.

YouTube is great for everything to be honest. :rofl:
Original post by Pathway
Ohh, yeah, I can imagine. How did you get into this hobby? Don't come across it that often.

YouTube is great for everything to be honest. :rofl:

I was trying to find work experience to put on my personal statement for aerospace engineering, but I could only find ones for those in university, so I decided to build stuff to impress the admissions people. I initially started off with planes but I found it a bit boring so i moved on to building whatever looked cool. like a hydraulic robotic arm and the Titanic. I think I'm going to stick to building ships, maybe a few aircraft.
I was trying to find work experience to put on my personal statement for aerospace engineering, but I could only find ones for those in university, so I decided to build stuff to impress the admissions people. I initially started off with planes but I found it a bit boring so i moved on to building whatever looked cool. like a hydraulic robotic arm and the Titanic. I think I'm going to stick to building ships, maybe a few aircraft.

Keep it up. :yep: I hope university is going well/went well for you too.
Being the first in my family to go to university. Didn't even think I'd be able to do it either.
Original post by CoolCavy
Having 9A* and 8As in total. Think I probably peaked in school

cavy u academic beast that's awesome!!!
staying alive
Original post by Pathway
Keep it up. :yep: I hope university is going well/went well for you too.

still in year 13, I have yet to know if I'm going 😁 thanks anyway
Reply 56
Surviving. I think many people undermine that tbh. The fact that you are alive is an achievement in itself
Probably so far: being the team leader in winning "best engineering design" from Ford at the Engineering Education Scheme Wales 2018, which was in partnership with GE Aviation, GE are now modifying my groups tool to be used in their repair factories. I had to design and 3D print a working model and produce a 40 page report (obviously it was a team effort, but i pulled the strings) but this was probably the best thing I've achieved so far...It was fun and gave me an insight into how to design something according to a brief and make it into a actual thing considering all the maths and modeling of it to make sure it was within the required specification. It also trained me up into being pretty proficient with relatively basic 3D design.

And at my Imperial interview the interviewer said that "It is one of the best things they've seen on a personal statement". Which kinda put a smile on my face, and in the end I received a low offer, but rejected them as I wanted something a little different....getting that offer was also quite an achievement in fairness.

My life and grades are otherwise very mundane nothing really worth pointing out.
Original post by Palmyra
cavy u academic beast that's awesome!!!

Thank you :blushing: :hugs:
Wish I could say the same about uni :getmecoat:
Original post by CoolCavy
Thank you :blushing: :hugs:
Wish I could say the same about uni :getmecoat:

You're doing really well at university too though. :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending