The Student Room Group

Pls help vectors

Can someone pls help me with section c
vectors.PNG
Reply 1
Couple of ways to approach it, but using the dot product = 0 is probably the easiest.
So D lies on the line and you want to determine the value of the line scalar multiplier which gives the dot product with the line direction as zero.
why do we use the product rule?
Original post by mqb2766
Couple of ways to approach it, but using the dot product = 0 is probably the easiest.
So D lies on the line and you want to determine the value of the line scalar multiplier which gives the dot product with the line direction as zero.
Reply 3
Just imagine a line which does not pass through the origin.
All points a constant distance from the origin lie on a circle (distance r from the origin).
The closest point of a line is therefore when the circle expands just enough so that the line is a tangent to a point on the circle.
That point represents the closest point D and OD is perpendicular to the line direction (zero dot product).
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
why do we use the product rule?
I'm sorry I didn't quite get that :confused:
Original post by mqb2766
Just imagine a line which does not pass through the origin.
All points a constant distance from the origin lie on a circle (distance r from the origin).
The closest point of a line is therefore when the circle expands just enough so that the line is a tangent to a point on the circle.
That point represents the closest point D and OD is perpendicular to the line direction (zero dot product).
Reply 5
Which part? The diagram in
https://www.siyavula.com/read/maths/grade-12/analytical-geometry/07-analytical-geometry-03
is ok, with C = origin in your case.

The line has to be tangential to the circle which represents the distance from the origin and D is the tangent point.

Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
I'm sorry I didn't quite get that :confused:
thanks I got it now

Quick Reply

Latest