The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes or Surrey??

I have offers to study biomedical science at Oxford Brookes and at the University of Surrey. But, I cannot decide which to choose...
Original post by Embu01
I have offers to study biomedical science at Oxford Brookes and at the University of Surrey. But, I cannot decide which to choose...

What do you see as the pros and cons for each of them?
Reply 2
Well, University of Surrey is good for biomedical sciences, and its subject ranking is also high (top 10). They have good facilities, like the library and the labs. Their teaching quality seems to be good as well, considering I have been to one of their lectures during the applicant day, and the biochemistry professor seem to be very helpful and supportive. Although I haven't been to the town near Surrey, it seems to have many job opportunities, but I don't know. The cons: I guess the living expenses which is the same case for Oxford Brookes.

At Oxford Brookes, the students were very friendly, and the facilities are good there as well. They provide free bus passes, which reduces the cost of buying a bus card, and I don't think Surrey does this. I love the historical buildings that are there, and the accommodation is close to the main campus, likewise with Surrey. There is a lot of jobs available in the town, since it is a tourist place. The timetable for practicals vary a lot, and some have said that they didn't do any practicals for a month or so - which kind of puts me off, because I want to practice my laboratory skills a lot, and doing many practicals seem to be the answer. I don't know how the timetable for Surrey is though either.

To be honest I cannot think of any more cons for either of the universities. But, I do have a higher entry requirement from Surrey, and reduced offer from Oxford Brookes.
Original post by PQ
What do you see as the pros and cons for each of them?
Original post by Embu01

hey there!

i was just wondering if you’ve managed to make a decision?
Reply 4
Original post by chloenickole
hey there!

i was just wondering if you’ve managed to make a decision?

Hi, I have decided to firm Surrey and make Oxford Brookes as my insurance.
Original post by Embu01
Hi, I have decided to firm Surrey and make Oxford Brookes as my insurance.

ok, good for you!!
what are your entry requirements for bookes. i too cant decide
Hey!

If you are looking for biomedical science, the entry requirements are here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/biomedical-science

I am currently a student at Oxford Brookes, so please feel free to ask me anything about the course, the university or general uni life!

Issy :smile:
Original post by tesconyc
Reply 8
Original post by tesconyc

It was BCC if picked as an insurance. But CCC if firmed
Original post by Embu01

I'm doing biomedical science at the university of Surrey. Almost finished my first year. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to you. :smile:
Hey Embu01,

I'm a current Nursing Student at Oxford Brookes and sometimes cross paths with BioMedical Science students. My friends who are currently taking the course and graduating this year have loved it. they have spent lots of times in the labs and as Brookes is a modular university which means there is a list of modules which you can choose from (other than the core ones) allowing you to focus on areas you are more interested in which really helps when your writing lots of assignments on it! another great thing is the health and life science ball where we all get together each year from drinks a mini buffet and the chance to dress up also if there are any sports or evening activities you'd be interested the timetable works well with fitting in. If you'd like to find out a little more here's a link to the website. I hope this has helped a little-https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/biomedical-science also it is the 1st in the UK for teaching and research Times Higher Education Young University Rankings, 2018.

good luck whichever you choose!

Charlotte
Student Ambassador
Original post by Embu01
Original post by DECDOOMINATOR
I'm doing biomedical science at the university of Surrey. Almost finished my first year. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to you. :smile:

Will it be easy to find placement in yr 3? Can you share more about your University life in Surrey to me? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending