The Student Room Group

Does any employer actually care about university rankings?

I understand if you went to Oxbridge, it clearly demonstrates you are very intelligient but I just can't help thinking that not matter where you go, you are still getting the same degree.
Therefore, do you think employers actually care, or do they just want to get the job done?

Discuss below!
Reply 1
:colone: haha do you not think that people who went to Oxbridge aren't smart
Most employers won't much care. To them, unless you went to oxbridge, a degree is a degree.

However, there are still some types of jobs at the top of the pyramid (high paid financial sector for example) that definitely do care. Some recruit exclusively from a handful of top universities, others outwardly state that you need to be attending a top institution to even be considered. However, unless this is where you're headed, the answer to your question is no.
Some will have certain unis that they prefer (which usually correlates but isn't tied to rankings) but often it won't matter.
Original post by mvphoebe
I understand if you went to Oxbridge, it clearly demonstrates you are very intelligient but I just can't help thinking that not matter where you go, you are still getting the same degree.
Therefore, do you think employers actually care, or do they just want to get the job done?

Discuss below!

Even tho they are technically the same degree, a degree at oxbridge is alot different than say a 'low down' uni, its alot more vigorous making you better educated basically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending