The Student Room Group

'Speeding up' my studies, help?

Hey guys,

In terms of applying for university later on I see that many of them outside of the UK ask for at least 4-5 GCSE and 3 A-levels. I've currently been in a vicious cycle of re-sitting my Maths exam in every examination series available but have yet been able to pass. (I've given 4 maths re-sits so far.)
I also gave a Geography re-sit recently as I'm trying to procure certifications in subjects apart from Maths and English and Geo is the only one that is left along with Maths. I've completed 3 other GCSE subjects successfully.

This is delaying me from progressing on to my A-levels as I want to procure at least a C in my Maths at the GCSE level, as there is no way I'm going to take it at the AS/A-level, and if I end up re-sitting for maths again and again I'll get nowhere. :frown:
For A-levels I know it'll take a good 2 years at max or 1 if I'm able to complete my taken subjects at that level with dedication, which might be slightly difficult because my mental health bogs me down in revision sometimes.

My query was, does anyone have any suggestions/advice on how I could 'speed up' my current pace in terms of studying? Other students of my age are already starting to apply for uni and I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable at how I'm lagging behind.
One of the things in my mind was that this time around if I don't pass Geography, I'll re-sit for Maths and at least pass in that subject and then continue on to A-levels and get that done and over with anyway. Does this seem like the only option I have at the moment?

I know that this also boils down to individual universities and their entrance requirements where one uni may not need as many A-levels/GCSE's for entrance as another, so would my other option simply be researching about which universities I could gain entrance to with fewer qualifications?

I'm really stuck in this area of my studies right now and would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/advice from other students on here.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by Vib_A
Hey guys,

In terms of applying for university later on I see that many of them outside of the UK ask for at least 4-5 GCSE and 3 A-levels. I've currently been in a vicious cycle of re-sitting my Maths exam in every examination series available but have yet been able to pass. (I've given 4 maths re-sits so far.)
I also gave a Geography re-sit recently as I'm trying to procure certifications in subjects apart from Maths and English and Geo is the only one that is left along with Maths. I've completed 3 other GCSE subjects successfully.

This is delaying me from progressing on to my A-levels as I want to procure at least a C in my Maths at the GCSE level, as there is no way I'm going to take it at the AS/A-level, and if I end up re-sitting for maths again and again I'll get nowhere. :frown:
For A-levels I know it'll take a good 2 years at max or 1 if I'm able to complete my taken subjects at that level with dedication, which might be slightly difficult because my mental health bogs me down in revision sometimes.

My query was, does anyone have any suggestions/advice on how I could 'speed up' my current pace in terms of studying? Other students of my age are already starting to apply for uni and I'm really starting to feel uncomfortable at how I'm lagging behind.
One of the things in my mind was that this time around if I don't pass Geography, I'll re-sit for Maths and at least pass in that subject and then continue on to A-levels and get that done and over with anyway. Does this seem like the only option I have at the moment?

I know that this also boils down to individual universities and their entrance requirements where one uni may not need as many A-levels/GCSE's for entrance as another, so would my other option simply be researching about which universities I could gain entrance to with fewer qualifications?

I'm really stuck in this area of my studies right now and would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions/advice from other students on here.
Thanks in advance!

Look into doing an access course in september and do maths alongside and then perhaps a foundation year might be needed for the course you want to do. What do you want to study?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Look into doing an access course in september and do maths alongside and then perhaps a foundation year might be needed for the course you want to do. What do you want to study?

Isn't an access course and foundation year the same? i.e, both of them take an extra year or two to gain entrance in to the main bachelors course for students whose qualifications aren't the strongest?

I want to study business in aviation/aviation management outside of the UK.
Original post by Vib_A
Isn't an access course and foundation year the same? i.e, both of them take an extra year or two to gain entrance in to the main bachelors course for students whose qualifications aren't the strongest?

I want to study business in aviation/aviation management outside of the UK.

they are both level 3 courses but foundation years can need level 3 courses to get into whereas an access course isnt. As you want to study outside of the uk it's best to check with where you'd like to study exactly what you will need.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
they are both level 3 courses but foundation years can need level 3 courses to get into whereas an access course isnt. As you want to study outside of the uk it's best to check with where you'd like to study exactly what you will need.

Thank you for the information. Do you have any idea of whether I can progress on to A-level subjects such as Psychology and Sociology without having passed Maths at the GCSE level and then maybe complete my maths at GCSE level along side or at the end of my A-levels?
Original post by Vib_A
Thank you for the information. Do you have any idea of whether I can progress on to A-level subjects such as Psychology and Sociology without having passed Maths at the GCSE level and then maybe complete my maths at GCSE level along side or at the end of my A-levels?

its completely up to the school or college if they'd allow you to do it.
Reply 6
(Original post by claireestelle)
its completely up to the school or college if they'd allow you to do it.

I'm actually homeschooled so the question of a school or college allowing me isn't really an issue, haha.
I was just wondering whether private candidates can do this without having their applications look completely botched.
Reply 7
*bump*
Reply 8
*bump*

Any advice from anyone else?
Reply 9
*bump*

Anyone else have advice?
Reply 10
TI a on

Quick Reply

Latest