The Student Room Group

btec or alevel

hello,
i am really confused in what i want to do in college as my college wont let me do chemistry because i am doing foundation in maths(our teacher moved all of us to foundation without telling us). they gave me an option of btec applied sciences or extended diploma but i have no clue what that is. i wanted to go to biotechnology (preferably medicine idk) but i dont think the unis will accept me. what do i do?
Reply 1
Hi. If you are doing BTEC Applied Science after a 1 year you'll get a level 3 diploma and after another year you'll get an extended diploma. You'll spend 2 years in college just like A level students. Now BTEC has better reputation and you will be allowed to go to 98% of universities in the UK and abroad. You can even go to Russell Group Universities :smile:
BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science is a qualification for post-16 learners. The qualification is equivalent in size to two A Levels, and it has 6 mandatory units to do and another 2 which you choose. This totals to 8 units.
The six mandatory units are:
Unit 1: Principles and Application of Science I
Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills
Unit 4: Laboratory Techniques and their application
Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science II
Unit 6: Investigative Project.
The two units you choose have been designed to support progression to the range
of sector-related courses in higher education and to link with relevant occupational areas.
Optional units include:
Unit 8: Physiology of Human Body Systems
Unit 11: Genetics and Genetic Engineering
Unit 13: Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
Unit 15: Electrical Circuits and their Application
Unit 22: Materials Science
Unit 23: Forensic Evidence, Collection and Analysis

BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A-levels. It has 7 mandatory units and then you are given the opportunity to explore, through the optional units, a particular area of
science if you wish, to support progression to applied science courses in higher education, and to
link with relevant occupational areas. The particular scientific areas covered are:
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Biomedical Science)
optional units cover topics such as physiology, microbiology, and diseases and infections
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Analytical and Forensic
Science) optional units cover topics such as chemical analysis, applications of organic
chemistry, and forensic evidence collection and analysis
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Physical Science) optional
units cover topics such as materials science, astronomy and electrical circuits.
You can also choose options across the disciplines, rather than focus on a particular one.

Unis are starting to look at BTECs to be at the same level as an A-level so I wouldnt worry much about it.
Hope this helped you:smile:
Original post by Sidra.1
hello,
i am really confused in what i want to do in college as my college wont let me do chemistry because i am doing foundation in maths(our teacher moved all of us to foundation without telling us). they gave me an option of btec applied sciences or extended diploma but i have no clue what that is. i wanted to go to biotechnology (preferably medicine idk) but i dont think the unis will accept me. what do i do?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
thankyou so much, appreciate it.
Original post by Carbonx
Hi. If you are doing BTEC Applied Science after a 1 year you'll get a level 3 diploma and after another year you'll get an extended diploma. You'll spend 2 years in college just like A level students. Now BTEC has better reputation and you will be allowed to go to 98% of universities in the UK and abroad. You can even go to Russell Group Universities :smile:
Reply 4
thankyou so much, it really did help, i was just stressing out so much about btec and all. thankyou
Original post by KiranK2002
BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Applied Science is a qualification for post-16 learners. The qualification is equivalent in size to two A Levels, and it has 6 mandatory units to do and another 2 which you choose. This totals to 8 units.
The six mandatory units are:
Unit 1: Principles and Application of Science I
Unit 2: Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
Unit 3: Science Investigation Skills
Unit 4: Laboratory Techniques and their application
Unit 5: Principles and Applications of Science II
Unit 6: Investigative Project.
The two units you choose have been designed to support progression to the range
of sector-related courses in higher education and to link with relevant occupational areas.
Optional units include:
Unit 8: Physiology of Human Body Systems
Unit 11: Genetics and Genetic Engineering
Unit 13: Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
Unit 15: Electrical Circuits and their Application
Unit 22: Materials Science
Unit 23: Forensic Evidence, Collection and Analysis

BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A-levels. It has 7 mandatory units and then you are given the opportunity to explore, through the optional units, a particular area of
science if you wish, to support progression to applied science courses in higher education, and to
link with relevant occupational areas. The particular scientific areas covered are:
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Biomedical Science)
optional units cover topics such as physiology, microbiology, and diseases and infections
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Analytical and Forensic
Science) optional units cover topics such as chemical analysis, applications of organic
chemistry, and forensic evidence collection and analysis
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Physical Science) optional
units cover topics such as materials science, astronomy and electrical circuits.
You can also choose options across the disciplines, rather than focus on a particular one.

Unis are starting to look at BTECs to be at the same level as an A-level so I wouldnt worry much about it.
Hope this helped you:smile:
DOn't do a level pls just do yourself a favour and don't, worst thing you'll ever do. Unfortunately A levels require loads of effort and additionally an amazing amount of natural talent. If you dont feel you have these then dont pls
Original post by Sidra.1
hello,
I done a BTEC best choice of my life so far. no exam stress I'm just relaxed everyone else is doing exams and trying to remember things they probably wont ever need while im waiting for the Call of Duty to release.
Reply 7
Do a BTEC Extended Diploma, that's equivalent to 3 A-Levels and you'll have a far more enjoyable time as well.
Original post by Sidra.1
hello,

Depends what you want to do post-A-levels, if u want to go to into STEM at a top tier Uni then don't do BTEC, its not accepted Oxbridge, Imp, UCL, Durham....Warwick, Bristol, Notts, Manchester etc do not accept BTEC for most STEM degrees (although please don't take this the wrong way, if you are doing foundation GCSE's these might be out of reach realistically)
Non-STEM and and mid/lower tier Unis dont really care, they might require higher grades at BTEC than they would at A-level but thats about it
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Xarao
Do a BTEC Extended Diploma, that's equivalent to 3 A-Levels and you'll have a far more enjoyable time as well.

And work experience as well:smile: BTEC is much better than A level :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by mnot
Depends what you want to do post-A-levels, if u want to go to into STEM at a top tier Uni then don't do BTEC, its not accepted Oxbridge, Imp, UCL, Durham....Warwick, Bristol, Notts, Manchester etc do not accept BTEC for most STEM degrees (although please don't take this the wrong way, if you are doing foundation GCSE's these might be out of reach realistically)
Non-STEM and and mid/lower tier Unis dont really care, they might require higher grades at BTEC than they would at A-level but thats about it

Just came across this but Durham, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham all accept btecs.e.g even for Biology at Durham btecs are accepted , it says that on there website.
Original post by Rimjim
Just came across this but Durham, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham all accept btecs.e.g even for Biology at Durham btecs are accepted , it says that on there website.

hence most stem degrees, i go to one of the 4 unis mentioned there, and for my course BTEC is not accepted. Some courses might be but not all
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
hence most stem degrees, i go to one of the 4 unis mentioned there, and for my course BTEC is not accepted. Some courses might be but not all

Yes that’s true, but my point is you can still get into good unis with btecs. People who tend to do btecs, don’t necessarily go for medicine or something more demanding academically where a levels are needed.
Reply 13
I'm sure doing a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in science stops you from getting better degrees and jobs I am doing it and I am so stressed like it's a dead end
Original post by Mr2020c
I'm sure doing a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in science stops you from getting better degrees and jobs I am doing it and I am so stressed like it's a dead end

It's the equivalent of 3 A Levels and is becoming more widely accepted. If you want to do medicine or law maybe take some a-levels along side it but for other degrees it will be fine if you work toward distinctions.
Original post by Mr2020c

If you have any tips for someone just starting the course let me know please :colondollar:
Reply 16
same I am about to do it too
lol

Quick Reply