The Student Room Group

Can boundaries actually go down.

So Edexcel Maths was okay, apart from paper 3. This set of papers were clearly harder than June 2018, so I feel as though the boundaries should go down, as many people struggled.

But I’ve never seen boundaries go down, they always seem to go up. So is it possible they’ll give down?

Scroll to see replies

Hopefully, but if they do - I think it'll be by a few marks (1,2 or 3)
Reply 2
But last year they went up by around 13 each, why can it only go down one or two?
Original post by EliteWhovian
Hopefully, but if they do - I think it'll be by a few marks (1,2 or 3)
Original post by moftw
So Edexcel Maths was okay, apart from paper 3. This set of papers were clearly harder than June 2018, so I feel as though the boundaries should go down, as many people struggled.

But I’ve never seen boundaries go down, they always seem to go up. So is it possible they’ll give down?

the boundaries dropped from June to November...
Well, from what I've seen, people's reactions are quite mixed. Paper 1 and 2 were great papers for the majority, but Paper 3 was bad for the majority, meaning that because the overall Maths papers were 'okay', the grade boundary won't lower substantially. This is what my teacher told me but I, again, hope it goes down significantly
Original post by moftw
But last year they went up by around 13 each, why can it only go down one or two?
Reply 5
Original post by TS33
the boundaries dropped from June to November...

But that always seems to happen because it’s usually resits. I mean Summer exams where the majority of students take their exams.
Reply 6
It’s because I’m on 167 and last year an 8 was 170 and I really need an 8 for Further Maths a Level.
Original post by EliteWhovian
Well, from what I've seen, people's reactions are quite mixed. Paper 1 and 2 were great papers for the majority, but Paper 3 was bad for the majority, meaning that because the overall Maths papers were 'okay', the grade boundary won't lower substantially. This is what my teacher told me but I, again, hope it goes down significantly
Reply 7
I thought this year's paper were wayyy easier than last year's. except for like 3 questions
Reply 8
You did Edexcel?
Original post by meipwrk
I thought this year's paper were wayyy easier than last year's. except for like 3 questions
Reply 9
That's his prediction, he never said it can't go down by 13 marks. Grade boundaries are adjusted based on the difficulty of papers so it would make no sense if the boundaries went up every year just for the sake of it. Here's what i predict for a 9:
68 or 69 for paper 1
68 or 69 for paper 2
62 for paper 3
so overall i predict 198-200
Original post by moftw
Original post by moftw
But that always seems to happen because it’s usually resits. I mean Summer exams where the majority of students take their exams.

Yeah true. I think that this year the boundaries will be low though because last year the exams were SUPER EASY so that's why they were high.
Original post by meipwrk

Same
Reply 12
you thought June 2019 papers were easier than 2018?
Original post by TS33
Same
Reply 13
no way i disagree
Reply 14
with what?
Original post by Jeff246
no way i disagree
Reply 15
that this years paper was easier than last years
Reply 16
me too, this years was horrific compared to last year, they were a breeze
Original post by Jeff246
that this years paper was easier than last years
Original post by moftw
you thought June 2019 papers were easier than 2018?

No 2018 was easier than 2019
Reply 18
ye
Reply 19
Yeah, I’ve got from 167-170, I’m praying for an 8

Quick Reply

Latest