The Student Room Group

Strictly Come Dancing 2019 - Official Thread

Welcome back all Strictly fans. I ran the thread last year and it went well, so I'm starting a new one for this year.

There is a new producer this series so there may be some changes to the show.

Rylan is joining It Takes Two as a "co host".

Pasha has left the show - don't know if they will bring in a new pro or if either Neil or Johannes will get promoted. All other pros are returning.

Darcey has left - interested to see who will be the new judge. I vote Natalie Lowe or Erin Boag.

Rumours are that whilst Katya will be on the show, she might not be getting a partner. Won't be watching if that is the case - why on earth would they give Janette, Karen and Amy partners and bench Katya - one of the most talented female pros?

Anyone else got some news/commentary?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Joe2001

Not a huge fan of Rylan so this is a shame :frown: But certainly seems to play well into making the show more appealing to a younger audience.
Original post by 8472
Not a huge fan of Rylan so this is a shame :frown: But certainly seems to play well into making the show more appealing to a younger audience.

I think he could blend in well with It Takes Two and it's general vibe. But I can only take him in small doses, he does have the potential to be a bit annoying.
Which pros are due someone good this year?

I would say Oti (she needs to win) & Dianne (she's had two duds in a row) for the girls. I would also say Katya, but there may be some opposition due to kiss-gate.

For the guys, AJ (he's never had a proper chance) and Gorka (Alexandra was a great dancer but he's been unlucky that his partners have either been unpopular or struggled with the dances). Let Anton have someone OK this time after putting up with Susannah last year.

Janette, Aljaz, Kevin and Giovanni for the complete duds. Amy and Graziano to be benched, let some of the benched pros from last year have a celeb.
Original post by Joe2001
Welcome back all Strictly fans. I ran the thread last year and it went well, so I'm starting a new one for this year.

There is a new producer this series so there may be some changes to the show.

Pasha has left the show - don't know if they will bring in a new pro or if either Neil or Johannes will get promoted. All other pros are returning.

Darcey has left - interested to see who will be the new judge. I vote Natalie Lowe or Erin Boag.

Rumours are that whilst Katya will be on the show, she might not be getting a partner. Won't be watching if that is the case - why on earth would they give Janette, Karen and Amy partners and bench Katya - one of the most talented female pros?

Anyone else got some news/commentary?

I've read rumours that Katya won't get a contestant this year. It is a shame as I think she is one of the better choreographers and is more creative with her dances but she brought a lot of negative publicity last year, and I don't think the show bosses are too happy.

I think that they will hire someone new who wasn't a past judge to replace Darcey. If they did hire a former judge, I think Karen Hardy would be a good choice.

Is Graziano returning? I thought he was an awful partner. I didn't really take to him last year. I like Alijaz, Giovanni and Oti. I like Anton too, but he always seems to get the dud! Dianne reached the final last year - do we count Joe as a dud?
Original post by cheesecakelove
I've read rumours that Katya won't get a contestant this year. It is a shame as I think she is one of the better choreographers and is more creative with her dances but she brought a lot of negative publicity last year, and I don't think the show bosses are too happy.

I think that they will hire someone new who wasn't a past judge to replace Darcey. If they did hire a former judge, I think Karen Hardy would be a good choice.

Is Graziano returning? I thought he was an awful partner. I didn't really take to him last year. I like Alijaz, Giovanni and Oti. I like Anton too, but he always seems to get the dud! Dianne reached the final last year - do we count Joe as a dud?

I would say that Joe was a bit of a dud - didn't see much personality from him and his dancing was overrated and mediocre. He only got to the final because of his teenage fanbase, thankfully it wasn't enough for him to win.

Graziano is back but it is currently unknown if he will get a celeb. And please no to Karen Hardy as a judge - she's too full of herself on ITT. Someone more down to earth like Erin Boag or Natalie Lowe would fit better.

As for Katya - the show will be making a big mistake not giving her a partner. Aside from Oti, she's the only really strong female pro (although I do think Dianne will join them soon and whilst not the loudest of personalities, Nadiya always creates watchable routines). Karen is past her sell-by date and won't bring anything more to the table this year IMO, Janette is a great personality but her ballroom is weak. Not a fan of Amy either - whilst everyone blamed Danny for the way things turned out last year, nobody mentioned that she could have easily played a part in his downfall. You just have to watch some training footage from when she had Brian Conley: https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/915269638124171266
(edited 4 years ago)
Am I the only person that has a bad feeling about this year's SCD?
How are all of my fellow Strictly fans doing? Only 2 months until the first celebs are announced.

Question - if you were to do the show, who would you want to dance with? Because of my age and personality, I couldn't see myself being a good fit for any of the current pros. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Joe2001
How are all of my fellow Strictly fans doing? Only 2 months until the first celebs are announced.

Question - if you were to do the show, who would you want to dance with? Because of my age and personality, I couldn't see myself being a good fit for any of the current pros. :frown:

Would have to be Dianne Buswell :yep:
Full of energy and vigour! :laugh:
Original post by 8472
Would have to be Dianne Buswell :yep:
Full of energy and vigour! :laugh:

I do love Dianne! Would probably want her as my partner as well, although she just had a Joe last series and being 30, she's probably too old for the 17 year old me.

Hope that Dianne gets someone that can actually dance this time. We've seen what she can do with the bad and the OK - time for her to go full-throttle.
Reply 10
Original post by Joe2001
I do love Dianne! Would probably want her as my partner as well, although she just had a Joe last series and being 30, she's probably too old for the 17 year old me.

Hope that Dianne gets someone that can actually dance this time. We've seen what she can do with the bad and the OK - time for her to go full-throttle.

She may be. But she acts more so like that of a 24 year old based on her and Joe's vlogs :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if they give her someone slightly older this year. Maybe 50/60 years old.
Original post by 8472
I wouldn't be surprised if they give her someone slightly older this year. Maybe 50/60 years old.

She had an older partner before Joe with the Reverend Richard Coles. None of the other female pros have had more than one oldie (except for Amy and Karen but they are probably the weak links in the female pro lineup). Nadiya, Oti and Janette have always had younger partners. Katya had Ed, who wasn't really old but was the obvious dud in his year.

Logically, she will get a younger contestant because the show want to attract a younger demographic. Since her fans are younger and she's still attached to Joe, they'll give her someone that will stick around for a while to keep that audience interested. I'm fairly confident on that one.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Joe2001
She had an older partner before Joe with the Reverend Richard Coles. None of the other female pros have had more than one oldie (except for Amy and Karen but they are probably the weak links in the female pro lineup). Nadiya, Oti and Janette have always had younger partners. Katya had Ed, who wasn't really old but was the obvious dud in his year.

Logically, she will get a younger contestant because the show want to attract a younger demographic. Since her fans are younger and she's still attached to Joe, they'll give her someone that will stick around for a while to keep that audience interested. I'm fairly confident on that one.

Very true. I went on the fact they would swap their partner's "type" each year. But with the audience shift and changing landscape of the show another young dancer may be on the cards. Wonder when they'lll slip in a lot of even younger pro dancers?
Original post by 8472
Very true. I went on the fact they would swap their partner's "type" each year. But with the audience shift and changing landscape of the show another young dancer may be on the cards. Wonder when they'lll slip in a lot of even younger pro dancers?

All of the pros except for Pasha are coming back so I don't think that they will bring in any younger pros this year. Hopefully next year as by the 2020 series, most of the pros will be over 30. I've said for a while that they need a young female pro in case they sign on a really young male celeb. Dancing with the Stars in the USA may be getting axed soon - they have plenty of young pros, so we could try and get some of them.

At least we have AJ so we aren't completely void of young pros. He needs to make the final this year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Back from my holiday, not long until SCD cast is revealed.

Still not heard about the new judge.
New Judge is Motsi Mabuse! Motsi is Oti's older sister.

Good decision IMO. Motsi was a pro for 2 seasons in Germany and has been a judge for the past 9 seasons so she actually has plenty of TV experience unlike the other judges. I remember that Darcey took a while to adjust to live TV, as did Shirley so hopefully this won't be an issue.

Just to shut down any comments about this being unfair because she and Oti are sisters - note that Oti was a pro for 2 seasons in Germany and was judged by Motsi. There was no bias. In her 2nd season, she and her celeb did a Jive which was scored a 3 by Motsi and they were subsequently 1st eliminated.
We have a new female pro - Nancy Xu. Hope she gets a celeb, excited to see some fresh blood.

Tune into the One Show tonight - Stacey Dooley confirmed that the first 3 celebs will be announced. 7pm, BBC1, don't miss it.
FIRST 3 CELEBS (age as of Week 1):
David James, 49, Former Footballer
Chris Ramsey, 33, Comedian
Emma Barton, 42, EastEnders Actress

My guesses for pro pairings (subject to change):
David James & Nadiya Bychkova
Chris Ramsey & Amy Dowden
Emma Barton & Graziano di Prima (or Johannes Radebe if he gets a partner)
Noice - don't mind rylan :yes:
Hope as more celebs are announced I'll begin to recognise them :redface: :tongue:
Fingers crossed that I recognise some names as well. FWIW, these first 3 celebs came across well on the One Show and I get why they have been cast as they target a variety of demographics - football fans, EastEnders fans and a token comedian for the laughs (although I think he'll be a potential dark horse, seems like he'll take it more seriously than Seann Walsh, who gave me a dodgy vibe from the beginning).

Quick Reply

Latest