The Student Room Group

Students may have to apply after A levels

Front page of today's Telegraph

""Students may soon have to apply for a university place after receiving their A-level grades.
Under plans to overhaul the admission system a watchdog for higher education is to launch a review later this year into the recruitment system after concerns from ministers that some universities were guilty of unethical practices.
It suspected many where pressure selling unconditional offers in order to maximize revenue by recruiting as many students as possible."

This has been the situation for a while and it was only a matter of time until something was done. In 2012 there were roughly 2500 unconditionals made, last year there were over 60,000. Students are now 30 times more likely to receive one than just five years ago.
It's a gravytrain that everyone involved is desperate to keep rolling.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In 2010 the government scrapped a project that was working towards this.
well maybe if they stopped making a levels so hard. Why cant we have a better education system. a few hours decide your fate
how was paper 2 maths?
Original post by lostplot
well maybe if they stopped making a levels so hard. Why cant we have a better education system. a few hours decide your fate
it was alright but I didn't finish
Original post by Shiver2319
how was paper 2 maths?
Universities are essentially businesses.
What are your views on...

1. Scrapping GCSES and having all exams in Year 13
2. Applying after results
3. Adjusting school hours (later starts)
Completely.
If you are in the process of deciding what to do, read 'The Great University Con' by David Craig to inform yourself and make sure you have all the facts.
Original post by PunjabiCookie

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

1. GCSEs should still be done, as some people don't go onto sixth form/college so kinda need to do things at the end of Y11
2. Makes a lot of sense, as then you don't need to rely on predictive grades. Also reduces the stress of Y12 Mocks, which are always hell.
3. Yes please. I know they will never do this because teachers are unwilling to work later hours, but it would be nicer to start even an hour later, as I might actually learn something in first lesson... would not mind having shorter lunch break to compensate this either.
1. What if the concept of sixth/form college wasn't there and it was mandatory to stay on until you are 18. Vocational courses and apprenticeships could be part of the school curriculum for students who don't wish to pursue A Levels.... Just a thought :smile:

Original post by DoNotMove
1. GCSEs should still be done, as some people don't go onto sixth form/college so kinda need to do things at the end of Y11
2. Makes a lot of sense, as then you don't need to rely on predictive grades. Also reduces the stress of Y12 Mocks, which are always hell.
3. Yes please. I know they will never do this because teachers are unwilling to work later hours, but it would be nicer to start even an hour later, as I might actually learn something in first lesson... would not mind having shorter lunch break to compensate this either.
What about oxbridge, I mean they could be considered exceptions because they have interviews.

But I think for oxbridge applications should be after results and interviews in early september since uni terms start in october anyway. They won't have to deal with the load of trash call predicted grades so they'll have less students to consider anyway.
(edited 4 years ago)

No GCSE's should remain as a prospective math undergrad would definitely not want to deal with history/english/other subject(s) they are likely to dislike in Y13 for example.

Applying after results by all means. Predicted grades shouldn't even be a thing. Plus leaves more time to choose what to study.

I'm not sure about later school starts. After all I never had any problems because I slept early enough, which I'm sure others are capable of doing. Anyway there's nothing to do at night except watching TV, which students can also do in daytime. However if it's excessive homework that forces students to stay up, then the problem is that: excessive homework.
Teachers have been complaining for some time that students in final A level year are taking their foot off the gas because of unconditional offers.
In times gone by it wasn't so much of a problem because they were offered to people who earned them and so were hard workers anyway.
Now unconditionals are like bum holes, everybody's got one. This impacts on many of the very people that can't afford to sit back in their final school year.
I mean ideally this is how it would work but only way this would happen is if it is a complete overhaul. Unis would likely have to start later but yes I think this is better as the way it works now means schools can make inflated grade predictions and with the new linear a levels the unis don't have much to differentiate between inflated grade predictions and normal grade predictions.
Reply 15
How about everywhere just had Nat 5’s in 4th year, Highers in 5th year and Advanced Highers in 6th year. More room for failing and trying again with 6th year and less pressure overall.

The unconditional offers can be made if you actually have the highers rather than applying in 6th year not having the results.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think this needs to happen.
This may prompt UCAS being totally reformed as well, which I think needs an overhaul.

Why do you think school should start later? After all, one part of going to school is to prepare you for work later in life where you will undoubtedly have early starts.
Original post by Jpw1097
Why do you think school should start later? After all, one part of going to school is to prepare you for work later in life where you will undoubtedly have early starts.

but school isn't the same as work. school is meant to help you find out who you wanna be, what you wanna learn, and also be a fun environment to be in in most cases.
I absolutely agree with this change because if you don't do as well in the first year and come out with poor predicted grades, you are very limited in what you can apply to and this really has a detrimental effect to one's confidence heading into the second year of A level study, which could cause some students to lack motivation and perform badly in exams.

Quick Reply

Latest