The Student Room Group

To date or not to date

I am leaving the UK in two months for Masters. I would be gone for two years at the very least if not more.

Now, the problem is I met a guy through a mutual friend last night at a party. I told him I am leaving and he said he would still like to try but I would never do long-distance. So I don't know what to do anymore :sigh:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Didn't you ask out a gay guy like a month ago or something.

so what's changed?

and didn't you just say you are 17 in another thread?
how are you doing a masters
Reply 2
Original post by batter mix
I am leaving the UK in two months for Masters. I would be gone for two years at the very least if not more.

Now, the problem is I met a guy through a mutual friend last night at a party. I told him I am leaving and he said he would still like to try but I would never do long-distance. So I don't know what to do anymore :sigh:

Unless he wants to go with you, then I say it’s not worth it. It will only be frustrating for both of you. Wait to be settled in where you are going and then worry about dating
All this drama because you met someone at a party last night.

You fall in love fast.
Reply 4
Original post by Notoriety

You fall in love fast.

Some people do though. If they didn’t, love at first sight wouldn’t be a thing
You've literally just met this guy and you don't want to do long distance. The obvious solution is to walk away while it's still easy.
Original post by mazenod
Some people do though. If they didn’t, love at first sight wouldn’t be a thing

It isn't a thing. Hope that helps.
Reply 7
It isn't a thing. Hope that helps.

You can’t express opinion as fact
Original post by mazenod
You can’t express opinion as fact

You did when you said love at first sight exists?
Reply 9
You did when you said love at first sight exists?

It does. Whether it be a false concept or a real thing. I never said I believed it.
Original post by ANM775
Didn't you ask out a gay guy like a month ago or something.

so what's changed?

and didn't you just say you are 17 in another thread?
how are you doing a masters

I asked that guy out in April. I am a straight female so nothing’s changed.

I never said I am 17 :hmmmm: I am 20, going to be 21 soon.

You fall in love fast.

Hey!

I have no excuse except that he is really fit and I have been single for too long :sad:

Original post by sinfonietta
You've literally just met this guy and you don't want to do long distance. The obvious solution is to walk away while it's still easy.

That’s what I am going to do sadly. I already knew this. I just needed some reassurance I guess.
Reply 11
I asked that guy out in April. I am a straight female so nothing’s changed.

I never said I am 17 :hmmmm: I am 20, going to be 21 soon.

Hey!

I have no excuse except that he is really fit and I have been single for too long :sad:

That’s what I am going to do sadly. I already knew this. I just needed some reassurance I guess.

whoops, just checked .. it was camyrn who said she was 17.....

and i said what's changed because in april you must have known you were going oversee's, yet you still asked out a guy [so presumably was willing to do the long distance]

so what's changed?
Reply 12
and as for what i'd do in your situation. Personally I don't like to sh*t where I eat, so if this guy is a friend of a friends I would just tell him that I don't want a relationship as i'm going oversee's soon and not mess him around, and then once oversee's look for someone there.

If this guy was just a random guy [meaning sh*t won't hit the fan in my friendship group if he feels hard done by], i'd probably take a different route and try and put my eggs in multiple baskets by dating him long distance and then keep an eye out for someone oversee's and If I find such a person then dump the first guy [as obviously you won't be seeing him much]
(edited 4 years ago)
I would probably have fun with him instead rather than get involved with him in a serious way or just move on. Can’t be that hard to do as you’ve only just met him
Original post by ANM775
whoops, just checked .. it was camyrn who said she was 17.....

and i said what's changed because in april you must have known you were going oversee's, yet you still asked out a guy [so presumably was willing to do the long distance]

so what's changed?

Well, 4-5 months at that time seemed like a decent amount of time to figure out a relationship and PG seemed far away.

Also, something sort of happened in the middle, which put me off guys completely but this guy is kinda making we wanna try again. But I already know nothing’s gonna happen. It’s too much trouble. I guess I am just lonely lol.
Original post by Fermion.
I would probably have fun with him instead rather than get involved with him in a serious way or just move on. Can’t be that hard to do as you’ve only just met him

This is probably my best bet if he agrees to cleanly break it off in August. I don’t catch feelings easy so it shouldn’t be a problem but if he does, it will be messy and that’s the last thing I want.

I’ll just speak with him.
Original post by ANM775
and as for what i'd do in your situation. Personally I don't like to sh*t where I eat, so if this guy is a friend of a friends I would just tell him that I don't want a relationship as i'm going oversee's soon and not mess him around, and then once oversee's look for someone there.

If this guy was just a random guy [meaning sh*t won't hit the fan in my friendship group if he feels hard done by], i'd probably take a different route and try and put my eggs in multiple baskets by dating him long distance and then keep an eye out for someone oversee's and If I find such a person then dump the first guy [as obviously you won't be seeing him much]

That shouldn’t be a problem. I mean all of us are adults are here. If my friend gets pissed because of this, then better to ditch lol

But I would never do the latter. Don’t ask me why. It just doesn’t feel right.

Thanks though :h:
If the guy knows you are leaving and still wants to give it a go, then sorry to break it to you, he sounds like a ****boi. And tbh, you seem quite desperate as well.
Original post by Anonymous
If the guy knows you are leaving and still wants to give it a go, then sorry to break it to you, he sounds like a ****boi. And tbh, you seem quite desperate as well.

Why are you reviving this lmao

tbf he probably is and I definitely am.

If I could post a photo of his without breaching his privacy and betraying his trust, I totally would. You only need to see him to drop on your knees :coma:
Why are you reviving this lmao

tbf he probably is and I definitely am.

If I could post a photo of his without breaching his privacy and betraying his trust, I totally would. You only need to see him to drop on your knees :coma:

I am a straight male :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending