The Student Room Group

my parents are forcing me to do 4 a levels...

i dont want to do 4 alevels, i'd rather do 3 and do well in them then spend my time on 4! :frown: what should i do? do unis care if you do 4 instead of 3?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stand your ground and tell them why you should only do three.
Don't. If you are not fully committed yourself, you most likely will not be interested in achieving the best grades. Take it from someone who has been in your position. Take only 3, you can always take an AS in year 13 if you find that you have too much time on your hands (you won't).
The 6th form I moved to for a-levels made students take 4 and more than a half of the students did an As in the 4th subject. I was a clueless, naiive soul who 'loved' all my subjects equally and did not do an AS; in reality I was too scared to do an AS because I didn't want to do exams I did not feel prepared for. You might end up feeling the same way. If you want to get grades and not cry yourself to bed every other night, take 3. If you are smart and can manage time, you will be fine with 4 but without interest you wont want to put in the effort. Do yourself a favour and like some other person said, STAND YOUR GROUND. x
(edited 4 years ago)
Smart. Quality > Quantity. Tell your parents to shove it up their a**. In a more respectful manner of course. :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah i'd rather get 3a*s then be someone with an a* and UUU prediction, i can manage my time, but i would like to learn something i LIKE, rather then force myself to do physics or futher maths :frown: plus i really like not studying
Original post by Deggs_14
Stand your ground and tell them why you should only do three.

sorry but whats an epq? :frown: ive heard the name but our school cant explain it
Original post by mpaprika
maybe tell them that an EPQ can replace one of the a levels?
if i do 4 alevels at the beginning, and then drop it in year 13, will my workload drop immensely compared to year 12?
Original post by TheLostLion
Don't. If you are not fully committed yourself, you most likely will not be interested in achieving the best grades. Take it from someone who has been in your position. Take only 3, you can always take an AS in year 13 if you find that you have too much time on your hands (you won't).

thanks for the experience :smile:

they were like to me 'are you a dumb ass? look at your friends? what are they going to think about us?'
Original post by Themysticalegg
Smart. Quality > Quantity. Tell your parents to shove it up their a**. In a more respectful manner of course. :tongue:
Do you have Asian parents by any chance? When my dad came back from his abandonment of me he started boasting about me to all his cousins/brothers etc. Literal smh I hate competitive families who just play a game of who has the bigger d*** even though it doesn't bring the person involved any enjoyment in life.

Do what brings you enjoyment in life your parents' immature game can go do one. Having one more A-level will bring you minimal benefit for university entry.
Original post by Coolkitkat23
if i do 4 alevels at the beginning, and then drop it in year 13, will my workload drop immensely compared to year 12?

thanks for the experience :smile:

they were like to me 'are you a dumb ass? look at your friends? what are they going to think about us?'
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Everyone I know doing 4 subjects got offers for 3 A-levels, not 4. That includes Oxford and Cambridge offers.

They'd think you're a normal person who isn't overburdening themselves lmao
indeed, like 1/2 asian (arabian) lmao all asian parents abandon their children, when you get a '7' 'WeLL yOU cOUld'Ve gOT a 9'
Original post by Themysticalegg
Do you have Asian parents by any chance? When my dad came back from his abandonment of me he started boasting about me to all his cousins/brothers etc. Literal smh.
i dont want to burden myself because im ultra lazy, like snorlax, thank you for telling me this! also if i get like 5 a*s for gcse they will probably be like 'you wont be accepted to any good university'
Original post by Sinnoh
Everyone I know doing 4 subjects got offers for 3 A-levels, not 4. That includes Oxford and Cambridge offers.

They'd think you're a normal person who isn't overburdening themselves lmao
this is honestly a really bad call, it’s better to stick to 3 and maximise your chance of getting 3As rather than trying to balance 4 a levels and ending up struggling - honestly most universities only give offers for 3 a levels anyway, you will be fine without the additional one!!
i dont want to do 4 alevels, i'd rather do 3 and do well in them then spend my time on 4! :frown: what should i do? do unis care if you do 4 instead of 3?
It's much better to do well in 3 than not quite so well in 4 but how to convince your parents? Maybe email a university you might like to attend (and that your parents would respect), and ask their opinion? They are bound to say they don't mind if applicants have 3 or 4 A levels, which may help to convince them.
just beat your parents
I'm in the exact same position as you! my parents said that '3 is too less', but I'm not smart enough to do 4
My dad's views are so stupid and outdated talking about things which were true about 50 years ago, I could go on about all the things I've corrected him about in regards to university and the job market as I have recent experience of both. He went onto this exact topic incidentally of having 4 A-levels vs three and I was like are you f****** stupid even Oxbridge only needs 3 A-levels and on Cambridge's ask admissions thread someone asked this question and they were like we prefer quality over quantity. So now I am advising my younger cousin on university entry as she wants to go to Cambridge cos my dad fed her a bunch of myths and outdated info. Anyway I'm triggered. :rofl:

The only reason why I got a job based on my situation was extra curriculars and work experience. He was like oh I didn't you know you worked for a few companies during university I thought you just did your degree. I was like no dad if I focused 100% on just education it would be harder for me to get a job with a business degree in this job market.

WELL MUMMY AND DADDY WHY DIDN'T U GET A 9 THEN IF UR SO SMART.

Ignore me I got tilted.
indeed, like 1/2 asian (arabian) lmao all asian parents abandon their children, when you get a '7' 'WeLL yOU cOUld'Ve gOT a 9'
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
i dont want to burden myself because im ultra lazy, like snorlax, thank you for telling me this! also if i get like 5 a*s for gcse they will probably be like 'you wont be accepted to any good university'

Well, even if you take 3 A-levels it's still hard work getting the top grades - more so than GCSE.

But that remark about GCSEs is false. Unless you're applying to medicine, chances are they won't even look at your GCSEs. When it comes to applying to university, if your predicted grades match the requirements, you're pretty much in. Offer rates for most courses at most unis hover around 80% - you can see this on university.which.co.uk
yeah i know alot of people who say that doing 4 alevels is basically doing the content of 15 gcses, is that true?
Original post by gretelhouseg
this is honestly a really bad call, it’s better to stick to 3 and maximise your chance of getting 3As rather than trying to balance 4 a levels and ending up struggling - honestly most universities only give offers for 3 a levels anyway, you will be fine without the additional one!!

thanks, but my parents are REALLY ignorant
Original post by harrysbar
It's much better to do well in 3 than not quite so well in 4 but how to convince your parents? Maybe email a university you might like to attend (and that your parents would respect), and ask their opinion? They are bound to say they don't mind if applicants have 3 or 4 A levels, which may help to convince them.

i'd try but then i'd also die
Original post by Jeff_Jeff
just beat your parents
LOOOOOOOOOL Ok I'm done. Get mummy and daddy on the phone i'm on a warpath now! :angry:
Original post by danaaltajer
I'm in the exact same position as you! my parents said that '3 is too less', but I'm not smart enough to do 4

3 is the normal number to take these days.

It only used to be 4 when the exams were split into A/S at the end of Year 12 and then A levels at the end of Year 13 (with people often doing resits after A/S levels to improve the grades).

Could you get your school to phone your parents to explain it is normal to do 3?

Quick Reply

Latest