The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Buddhism

Havent seen a proper thread for this so thought I'd start one- hopefully this can help if anyone wants to talk Buddhism, ask questions etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you!
Havent seen a proper thread for this so thought I'd start one- hopefully this can help if anyone wants to talk Buddhism, ask questions etc.
Reply 2
Original post by eyeyeyey
Thank you!

are you doing the a level on monday??
Reply 3
Nice to see young ones having an interest. Best of luck.
Any ideas for what might come up on Monday?
Last year it was on the life of the Buddha, nibbana, zen and social activism, so most likely none of those.
Reply 5
Original post by Silent_Spring_
Any ideas for what might come up on Monday?
Last year it was on the life of the Buddha, nibbana, zen and social activism, so most likely none of those.

Apparently some teachers have been guessing the historical context, but im thinking something from last year or specimen as metaethicscwas on both and it came up this year so there might be a similar pattern maybe- especially on areas people find harder so maybe something like madhyamaka but dont take my work for it, thats just a theory
Reply 6
People find Madhyamaka hard?
Reply 7
I understand that madhyamaka is the school of nagarjuna, so in essence would you just answer a question on Sunday’s, 2 levels of truth, nibbana in samsara etc?
Reply 8
Original post by lh2018
I understand that madhyamaka is the school of nagarjuna, so in essence would you just answer a question on Sunday’s, 2 levels of truth, nibbana in samsara etc?

yeah thats what i would do im guessing by 'sunday' it auto corrected and you meant sunyata- i guess it would depend on the question- i just find it hard because I end up running out of things to talk about
Reply 9
I’m finding it difficult to understand what they could specifically ask about madhymaka itself/nagarjuna itself. We’ve never done a question like that in school, do you have an example of a question so I could try an essay plan or something?
Original post by Zoe_H
yeah thats what i would do im guessing by 'sunday' it auto corrected and you meant sunyata- i guess it would depend on the question- i just find it hard because I end up running out of things to talk about
Reply 10
Original post by lh2018
I’m finding it difficult to understand what they could specifically ask about madhymaka itself/nagarjuna itself. We’ve never done a question like that in school, do you have an example of a question so I could try an essay plan or something?

yeah we didnt either! this website https://revisionworld.com/a2-level-level-revision/religious-studies-level-revision/rs-level-past-papers/ocr-level-rs-past-papers
has all the past papers on and the mark schemes so that might be useful- i think there was a madhyamaka/ nagasena question in the 2018 paper! hope this helps :smile:
does anyone think that gender is likely to come up?? hate that topic so much.
Reply 12
given that it want on the specimen paper or the paper last year, it seems likely. However, there is nothing to stop them repeating previous topics (as we discovered with ethics).
Original post by Kirstyhaynes
Reply 13

same i hate gender too! at we if it comes we can choose not to do it
Reply 14
Original post by lh2018

It depends how you have covered it and how deeply you have covered it. A lot of Madhyamaka philosophy is based in philosophy of language which I guess the board won't go at too heavily because you'd really need to read Sanskrit. The other options are maybe stuff like whether or not emptiness is a coherent concept, whether Nagarjuna is justified in total anti-foundationalism/anti-essentialism, how far Madhyamaka is a reassertion of or a departure from early Pali Buddhism.
same!! I hate most of y13 topics tbf.
Original post by Zoe_H
same i hate gender too! at we if it comes we can choose not to do it
very true, I hope they repeat Buddhism from the east thats a good topic
Original post by lh2018
given that it want on the specimen paper or the paper last year, it seems likely. However, there is nothing to stop them repeating previous topics (as we discovered with ethics).
Reply 17
same!! I hate most of y13 topics tbf.

same that and activism as we were running out of time and so we had to do most of it ourselves
omg same I hate activism! but it came up last year so fingers crossed it won't come up again.
Original post by Zoe_H
same that and activism as we were running out of time and so we had to do most of it ourselves
We did a couple in class: "To what extent can Madhyamaka philosophy be practically implicated in Buddhist life?" and "Nagarjuna is only interested in sunyata - Discuss". :smile:
Original post by lh2018

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending