The Student Room Group

Rejected from Bristol PGDip...What are my chances like for a Masters?

I know this is probably a pointless question. I've asked for feedback and nobody will know until then.

I applied to the Graduate Diploma of Economics at Bristol and got rejected. I really thought I'd have a good shot. I have the A in Maths and the 2:1 they asked for. I did a lot of independent reading and an online course before applying. I know what my career goal is. I had good references. I thought it wouldn't be extremely popular due to the fact it's so hard to get funding (I still hadn't) and isn't an actual Masters. So I was pretty surprised I didn't get in.

My second choice might actually be harder to get in. International Development MSc or MRes. I don't have any actual work experience in IntDev yet (some volunteering with NGOs but not in the field). And I've never studied a social science formally (only short online courses). And it's not a conversion course so I figured that would count against me.

Reckon it's worth a shot? It's late in the application cycle but apparently there are still places. Or should I not get my hopes up seeing as they wouldn't even accept me for the conversion.....?
Original post by IzzyAnne

Ring them and ask - what have you got to lose? From what you've said, it seems hopeless, so what you need is either to take a chance regardless, or get some more information.
Reply 2
They're not picking up at the moment but I'll keep trying.

I guess all I can do is go for it in the meantime. Maybe get another year of work experience and some more online courses then try again. I do have an offer for an Econ Masters in France but I'm a little worried about the reputation and the lack of opportunities to work/intern alongside studying (compared to Bristol).
Original post by threeportdrift
Ring them and ask - what have you got to lose? From what you've said, it seems hopeless, so what you need is either to take a chance regardless, or get some more information.
Reply 3
"Thank you for your email regarding the outcome of your application.

Please note that, as per the Admissions Statement, for entry to the Economics Graduate Diploma programme, applicants "entrance qualifications must include a significant mathematical/statistical component, either at degree level or a minimum of grade A in A-level Mathematics (or equivalent)".

The decision to reject your application is final.

We appreciate your interest in studying at the University of Bristol and wish you every success in your future plans.

Kind regards"

..............................b...but....I HAVE AN A AT MATHS A LEVEL, I ATTACHED MY CERTIFICATE AND EVERYTHING! Maybe they mean that was a minimum and in reality they prefer quantitative degrees?
"Thank you for your email regarding the outcome of your application.

Please note that, as per the Admissions Statement, for entry to the Economics Graduate Diploma programme, applicants "entrance qualifications must include a significant mathematical/statistical component, either at degree level or a minimum of grade A in A-level Mathematics (or equivalent)".

The decision to reject your application is final.

We appreciate your interest in studying at the University of Bristol and wish you every success in your future plans.

Kind regards"

..............................b...but....I HAVE AN A AT MATHS A LEVEL, I ATTACHED MY CERTIFICATE AND EVERYTHING! Maybe they mean that was a minimum and in reality they prefer quantitative degrees?

The only thing I can think of is that your A level in Maths didn't contain enough focus on statistics. Also, if your degree didn't contain much research methods/numerical content, it may not have mattered that you got a 2:1. What was your first degree in?
Reply 5
Well, it says 'either at degree level or...'. So it wouldn't matter what my first degree was in (languages, lol) . I'd also read mathematical/statistical as meaning 'mathematical or statistical'. I had some stats as part of Core modules but we did M1 and M2 at my school and not S1 or S2. But my certificate doesn't say the modules anyway, just the final grade.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
The only thing I can think of is that your A level in Maths didn't contain enough focus on statistics. Also, if your degree didn't contain much research methods/numerical content, it may not have mattered that you got a 2:1. What was your first degree in?
(edited 4 years ago)
Well, it says 'either at degree level or...'. So it wouldn't matter what my first degree was in (languages, lol) . I'd also read mathematical/statistical as meaning 'mathematical or statistical'. I had some stats as part of Core modules but we did M1 and M2 at my school and not S1 or S2. But my certificate doesn't say the modules anyway, just the final grade.

In that case, I would presume that there were simply more competitive candidates than you - they may have had a mathematics-related degree at a 2:1 or higher, or had more transferable skills/modules from their first degree. These would obviously be highly desirable for an economics course, and Bristol aren't obliged to accept everyone who meets the minimum entry requirements, particularly if they have a cap on places.
Reply 7
Yeah, I guess I'd assume that. I'll see what they reply. They didn't say that, though, and they could have. Maybe it was just a generic response.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
In that case, I would presume that there were simply more competitive candidates than you - they may have had a mathematics-related degree at a 2:1 or higher, or had more transferable skills/modules from their first degree. These would obviously be highly desirable for an economics course, and Bristol aren't obliged to accept everyone who meets the minimum entry requirements, particularly if they have a cap on places.
Reply 8
'Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that all information provided in an application is taken into consideration by the Admissions Tutor when making decisions.'

Frustrating. I guess they don't consult with the admissions tutor when giving feedback, then. I don't wanna pester but I feel like with all the time and effort needed to create an application it would be nice to at least get one line of personalised feedback.
(edited 4 years ago)
'Thank you for your email.

We can confirm that all information provided in an application is taken into consideration by the Admissions Tutor when making decisions.'

Frustrating. I guess they don't consult with the admissions tutor when giving feedback, then. I don't wanna pester but I feel like with all the time and effort needed to create an application it would be nice to at least get one line of personalised feedback.

The only other way I can think of is to call them. Phone calls are harder to avoid/ignore, so you may get more straight answers that way.
Reply 10
I know this is probably a pointless question. I've asked for feedback and nobody will know until then.

I applied to the Graduate Diploma of Economics at Bristol and got rejected. I really thought I'd have a good shot. I have the A in Maths and the 2:1 they asked for. I did a lot of independent reading and an online course before applying. I know what my career goal is. I had good references. I thought it wouldn't be extremely popular due to the fact it's so hard to get funding (I still hadn't) and isn't an actual Masters. So I was pretty surprised I didn't get in.

My second choice might actually be harder to get in. International Development MSc or MRes. I don't have any actual work experience in IntDev yet (some volunteering with NGOs but not in the field). And I've never studied a social science formally (only short online courses). And it's not a conversion course so I figured that would count against me.

Reckon it's worth a shot? It's late in the application cycle but apparently there are still places. Or should I not get my hopes up seeing as they wouldn't even accept me for the conversion.....?

Does it have to be Bristol?
Reply 11
Nope, I've made another thread with 2 options I've thought of :wink: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5998018&p=83909884#post83909884
I love Bristol city and obviously it's got a good reputation so yeah, it is my top choice. I've also reached out to Nottingham and checked the requirements of a few others - most do need more of a mathematical background than I have.
Original post by mgi
Does it have to be Bristol?
Have you considered Birkbeck's Graduate Diploma in Economics? It' a conversion course you can do full time, part time, or even by distance learning? (I haven't done anything in this field myself, I've just previously studied at BBK at undergrad level and know they have a fair few City types studying there as its an evening university).

Cambridge run an 'advanced' diploma in econ

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending