The Student Room Group

my parents are forcing me to do 4 a levels...

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I believe I spoke to you before about medicine at Oxford. My son did 4 as levels, which he didn’t need to do. He found that quite tough , so for a2 he just went down to three subjects, chemistry, maths and biology. Oxford says quality matters over quantity. Your time would be better spent doing reading for an epq etc. Stick to 3 good a levels.
k guys i went up to my mom and she was like 'are you retarded? we've spoken about this before! *scream*' (less rude of course)
thank you so much for the experience :smile:, yeah i still remember what we spoke about
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi,

I believe I spoke to you before about medicine at Oxford. My son did 4 as levels, which he didn’t need to do. He found that quite tough , so for a2 he just went down to three subjects, chemistry, maths and biology. Oxford says quality matters over quantity. Your time would be better spent doing reading for an epq etc. Stick to 3 good a levels.
Reply 43
What makes them so knowledgable about a-levels that they think their opinion on how you should do YOUR a-levels is better than yours?
My son is living, breathing proof that you only need three a levels for Oxford medicine.
Do you want me to come round and knock on your door? Will bring my son’s Oxford acceptance letter and his matriculation photos....😉😉😉😉
@Coolkitkat23
I am at work looking at my computer so can’t send you the link but google will my application be more competitive if I study more than three a levels

This answer is from Oxford university itself and this is what they said

Three a levels is absolutely sufficient to make a competitive application and offers will normally only be made for three a levels regardless of how many you are taking.

We also advise candidates not to spread themselves too thinly across too many subjects where they may risk dropping a grade or two in their results

So there you have the definitive answer. Just imagine if you got an offer from Oxford for medicine but dropped a grade or two in chemistry because you were busy concentrating on that fourth a level . In my son’s’ colleges, if you didn’t meet you offer you got a rejection letter on results day ( not applicable at some Colleges but still. Please show this post to your Mum
LOOOOOOL :console: Did she use expletives in different languages? :rofl:
Original post by Coolkitkat23
k guys i went up to my mom and she was like 'are you retarded? we've spoken about this before! *scream*' (less rude of course)
no offense, your parents are just doing you more harm in this way.
and no, unis don't care.
tell ur parents to do some research before they try and force you to do anything.
Is it your parents who want you to apply to Oxford medicine, or you? This is a very important question.
Best question of the lot if you're not doing something you want to you will only bring misery to yourself in the long run.
Is it your parents who want you to apply to Oxford medicine, or you? This is a very important question.
My son is living, breathing proof that you only need three a levels for Oxford medicine.

thanks alot @Oxford Mum i have spoken with my mother, however, she wants me to do 4 alevels because, she wants our family to be more 'academically prestigious' compared to other people, and she wants me to stand out, as she herself is a doctor, i also want to become a doctor like her, so im not sure anymore, tysm, i tried and im too afraid to say anything without the fear of getting shouted at, i will discuss this with her during the holidays :smile:
Original post by Themysticalegg
LOOOOOOL :console: Did she use expletives in different languages? :rofl:

:/ she will stare into your soul if you don't listen to her...
Would she stare into oxford’s soul? They are the ones giving advice. You need to do the extra medical reading and research. That is what gets you into Oxford.
Frankly it is not the prestige that matters it is your happiness. You must do what makes your heart sing. The best guide is that the course is king. If the Oxford course is not what you want don’t apply. Look at some med school websites after your GCSEs
OH MY GOD SHE'S BASICALLY MY DAD SHE ONLY CARES ABOUT ONE UPPING OTHER PEOPLE FOR NO REASON BUT TO BOOST HER EGO AND BOAST ABOUT YOU. :angry: This is clearly not good for you as she is forcing her personal beliefs on you. At this rate you're gonna be living her life not your own if she keeps this up... At the end of the day you're the one whose gonna have to live your life and the consequences of doing what you want/what your mother wants for the next potentially 80+ years I don't believe it's right that she's forcing her beliefs on you for a decision which will effect you in the long term!

This is like the cold war but instead of nuclear weapons we have the race of egos between your family and your aunts/uncles!

You're smart and I know you'll make the right decision but this is the one point in your life where you'll well within your rights to be completely self-serving as you live with the consequences of your decisions on A-levels and University. Your mother won't.

@harrysbar I have too much charisma for this topic.... :colondollar:
thanks alot @Oxford Mum i have spoken with my mother, however, she wants me to do 4 alevels because, she wants our family to be more 'academically prestigious' compared to other people, and she wants me to stand out, as she herself is a doctor, i also want to become a doctor like her, so im not sure anymore, tysm, i tried and im too afraid to say anything without the fear of getting shouted at, i will discuss this with her during the holidays :smile:

:/ she will stare into your soul if you don't listen to her...
(edited 4 years ago)
@nexttime
Give us your thoughts on four a levels for Oxford medicine, please. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated
3 is DEFINITELY the way to go. Like everyone said, quality over quantity any day. We're here for you! :hugs:
thanks alot :smile: i will do my research on more medical schools after gcse, and i will also talk about my own dreams, but its also because she knows this guy who got 13 a*s at gcse and wants to apply to cambridge :/ she compares me to him, saying, 'how can you even get into university with those grades?' my mother isnt an evil person but sometimes i think she cares more about my education then she does about me.
Frankly it is not the prestige that matters it is your happiness. You must do what makes your heart sing. The best guide is that the course is king. If the Oxford course is not what you want don’t apply. Look at some med school websites after your GCSEs

Lol aren't all asian parents like this? :biggrin: boasting about their childs,grades,university, perhaps purposely trying to downgrade your child, our culture sucks. Luckily, she doesnt want me to lock myself up and study for 5+ hours, shes also really caring, and shes not forcing me to become a doctor. However she would like to see me somewhere 'happy' and 'educated', to do this she believes i should do 4 a-levels.
Original post by Themysticalegg
OH MY GOD SHE'S BASICALLY MY DAD SHE ONLY CARES ABOUT ONE UPPING OTHER PEOPLE FOR NO REASON BUT TO BOOST HER EGO AND BOAST ABOUT YOU. :angry: This is clearly not good for you as she is forcing her personal beliefs on you. At this rate you're gonna be living her life not your own if she keeps this up... At the end of the day you're the one whose gonna have to live your life and the consequences of doing what you want/what your mother wants for the next potentially 80+ years I don't believe it's right that she's forcing her beliefs on you for a decision which will effect you in the long term!

This is like the cold war but instead of nuclear weapons we have the race of egos between your family and your aunts/uncles!

You're smart and I know you'll make the right decision but this is the one point in your life where you'll well within your rights to be completely self-serving as you live with the consequences of your decisions on A-levels and University. Your mother won't.

@harrysbar I have too much charisma for this topic.... :colondollar:
thank you so much :smile: i would rather quality over quantity, any time.
Original post by barror1
3 is DEFINITELY the way to go. Like everyone said, quality over quantity any day. We're here for you! :hugs:
We know she's not evil but I'm not a fan of 'Asian' parenting. :tongue: My mum doesn't care but the rest of my family are like how much do you earn? What grade did you get at university? One of my family said in the middle of a meal rather rudely my wage is f*** all... I was like are u dizzy blud, I don't need your approval, I'm not that insecure that all I think about is money.

Yeah they mainly do it to downgrade other family's kids basically saying look at what I made, my kids are better than yours! Not all Asian parents are like this but your mum and my dad fuel this stereotype...
That's good at least you get spare time, it's important you'll just burn out if all you did was read books and do work....
Yeah 4 A-levels for no reason doesn't really lead to the accumulation of happiness. Education is great and all but I think Asian parents especially put too much emphasis on Russell Group and Oxbridge...

thanks alot :smile: i will do my research on more medical schools after gcse, and i will also talk about my own dreams, but its also because she knows this guy who got 13 a*s at gcse and wants to apply to cambridge :/ she compares me to him, saying, 'how can you even get into university with those grades?' my mother isnt an evil person but sometimes i think she cares more about my education then she does about me.

Lol aren't all asian parents like this? :biggrin: boasting about their childs,grades,university, perhaps purposely trying to downgrade your child, our culture sucks. Luckily, she doesnt want me to lock myself up and study for 5+ hours, shes also really caring, and shes not forcing me to become a doctor. However she would like to see me somewhere 'happy' and 'educated', to do this she believes i should do 4 a-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest