The Student Room Group

i dont know what to do with my life

Im currently coming up to my year 12 exams, studying maths, physics and product design. i chose these subjects as they go hand in hand and i thought they'd be very helpful to have when trying to become an engineer of some kind. i love hands on work and im very passionate about designing and fabricating things. my father has been working for 20 years in his own company, throughout the years hes been through his up and downs, but lately we really think we can push the business to a next level. i currently work with him 12 hours a week and really love it, however in school i have been really unmotivated to do any work. i dont feel like its going to help me at all. im really not enjoying it. i have a guaranteed job with my dad and good gcse results in case all goes bad. what should i do?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

sorry that this has nothing to do with you but, I'm currently sitting my GCSEs and I am planning on taking product design, maths and physics - the same as you. I was just wondering how difficult it is and how u think u would be doing if it wasnt for the work you do with your dad. and also is there any advice you would give me?
bro let me tell u a story from my experience. Ur dad has a company, i hope it all goes well for a long term. But education, once the age goes u cant take ur a-levels again. U only have a year left my advice is do the best my brother and inshallah u get good grades, in the end, GCSE doesnt help with getting the job. In case everything goes wrong, with ur A-levels u will be able to apply for at least a decent trianing programme or job, and u could even join UNI, whereas with gcse u probably gonna have to work no offence at tesco for the rest of ur life and claim benefits
Reply 3
Great, you got a back-up plan. What if that fails? What are you going to do next?

Imagine, if you smashed your A-Levels and if you still decide to work for your father great. If that fails, you can move on and do what you want to do in life further down the line, whether that's university to get into a new career path or working elsewhere.

Why not work hard now, so you don't suffer in the future?
or he could just get married
Original post by Xarao
Great, you got a back-up plan. What if that fails? What are you going to do next?

Imagine, if you smashed your A-Levels and if you still decide to work for your father great. If that fails, you can move on and do what you want to do in life further down the line, whether that's university to get into a new career path or working elsewhere.

Original post by charlie hawes 17
Im currently coming up to my year 12 exams, studying maths, physics and product design. i chose these subjects as they go hand in hand and i thought they'd be very helpful to have when trying to become an engineer of some kind. i love hands on work and im very passionate about designing and fabricating things. my father has been working for 20 years in his own company, throughout the years hes been through his up and downs, but lately we really think we can push the business to a next level. i currently work with him 12 hours a week and really love it, however in school i have been really unmotivated to do any work. i dont feel like its going to help me at all. im really not enjoying it. i have a guaranteed job with my dad and good gcse results in case all goes bad. what should i do?

Hey! So, I can empathise with you. You may already know, but I just want to reassure you that what you're feeling is completely normal and although it is scary, whatever decision you make you will be okay regardless. The only difference is, one decision may be more easier and the other may be more challenging, but you will still be ok. It may be helpful to problem solve, so for example:
1. Think about all solutions (even bad ones)
2. Advantages and disadvantages of each solution
3. Choose best or most practical solution or combination
4. Plan how to carry out solution/how will you achieve your goal?
Like you said, it is good to have your results. If you choose to not pursue higher education and work with your dad, that's fine, you can always go back into education later in life anyway. Do what you are interested in, I wouldn't force things - these don't often end well. You could try studying further, but think about this as there may be financial issues if you decide you want to drop out. You could also ask and research about further education and see if it is for you? Hope this helps!
hey could u comment on my advice
Original post by psych_mcmxcviii
Hey! So, I can empathise with you. You may already know, but I just want to reassure you that what you're feeling is completely normal and although it is scary, whatever decision you make you will be okay regardless. The only difference is, one decision may be more easier and the other may be more challenging, but you will still be ok. It may be helpful to problem solve, so for example:
1. Think about all solutions (even bad ones)
2. Advantages and disadvantages of each solution
3. Choose best or most practical solution or combination
4. Plan how to carry out solution/how will you achieve your goal?
Like you said, it is good to have your results. If you choose to not pursue higher education and work with your dad, that's fine, you can always go back into education later in life anyway. Do what you are interested in, I wouldn't force things - these don't often end well. You could try studying further, but think about this as there may be financial issues if you decide you want to drop out. You could also ask and research about further education and see if it is for you? Hope this helps!
Original post by Hugh.Jazz
bro let me tell u a story from my experience. Ur dad has a company, i hope it all goes well for a long term. But education, once the age goes u cant take ur a-levels again. U only have a year left my advice is do the best my brother and inshallah u get good grades, in the end, GCSE doesnt help with getting the job. In case everything goes wrong, with ur A-levels u will be able to apply for at least a decent trianing programme or job, and u could even join UNI, whereas with gcse u probably gonna have to work no offence at tesco for the rest of ur life and claim benefits

Ah, yeah. I think I missed that the original post meant that they did not want to do their A-levels. Yes, I would agree with Hugh.Jazz that doing your A-levels are the most important in my opinion. After that, you don't need to go into university or any other education, and with A-levels you can use this later in life to get back into education if you need to. I HATED college/sixth form, but I firmed it because GCSE's are the first entry, but A-level, I would say would set you 'free' and give you more options. It will allow you to gain more academic qualifications later on in life (if you decide to work for your dad), whereas GCSE's are the basics of the basic, in my opinion anyway!
Original post by jack.winterss_
sorry that this has nothing to do with you but, I'm currently sitting my GCSEs and I am planning on taking product design, maths and physics - the same as you. I was just wondering how difficult it is and how u think u would be doing if it wasnt for the work you do with your dad. and also is there any advice you would give me?

i think if you enjoy the confusing yet undertsandble aspects of science in general, and re good at maths you will enjoy physics a lot, maths takes a lot of work and product design is a bit iffy, it takes dedication to do the coursework but in way is interesting, hope this helped.
ye and if he completes a-level at least he wont have to claim benefits so then we can pay less taxes
Original post by psych_mcmxcviii
Ah, yeah. I think I missed that the original post meant that they did not want to do their A-levels. Yes, I would agree with Hugh.Jazz that doing your A-levels are the most important in my opinion. After that, you don't need to go into university or any other education, and with A-levels you can use this later in life to get back into education if you need to. I HATED college/sixth form, but I firmed it because GCSE's are the first entry, but A-level, I would say would set you 'free' and give you more options. It will allow you to gain more academic qualifications later on in life (if you decide to work for your dad), whereas GCSE's are the basics of the basic, in my opinion anyway!
Reply 10
Definitely make sure you get your a levels as a safety

not to be rude but a levels can be taken whenever, you just have to pay for it haha, they can be done online which helps with flexability with ya life. i think im going to do what psych_mcmxcviii suggested and just take a step back for moment, hopefully over summer i will be able to make my mind up, im going to get some adive from others and see if that helps. i only referenced my gcse grades as i know personally two guys who are cnc machinists full time for redbull f1 team, mking the steering wheels buttons, who have little to no education from secondry school, just goes to show some things do work out.
i agree with working hard now rather than later but im just finding it hard with absolutely no motivation for the subjects atm.
Original post by Xarao

cant tell if your trying to give advice or make this laugh, whichever way it turns out im not going to feed off the system, my familt have taught me wel to earn stuff instead of being handed it.
ye and if he completes a-level at least he wont have to claim benefits so then we can pay less taxes
Original post by username4813048

what subject did you do and what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking, also how are doing now?
Original post by Fsofoxy
Definitely make sure you get your a levels as a safety

did you do a levels, if so which ones and how did you do? just trying to get some general advice thanks.
Reply 16
did you do a levels, if so which ones and how did you do? just trying to get some general advice thanks.

Ye I’m currently in y12 doing chemistry biology maths and psychology and in my mocks I got AAA*A*
yeah i guess, thank you anyway did u take D&T at GCSE and what about physics and maths like did you do well in them at GCSE?
i think if you enjoy the confusing yet undertsandble aspects of science in general, and re good at maths you will enjoy physics a lot, maths takes a lot of work and product design is a bit iffy, it takes dedication to do the coursework but in way is interesting, hope this helped.
got an 8 in physics and 7 in maths at gcse, and took double engineering and got BB.
okay wow and would u say ur struggling in physics and maths still? or is it more the fact that it doesn't interest u and u have no motivation?
got an 8 in physics and 7 in maths at gcse, and took double engineering and got BB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending