The Student Room Group

Solicitor

Is being a solicitor very stressful?
Dumb question I guess but I want to know from peoples points of view.
Reply 1
Original post by Jasmine.bx
Is being a solicitor very stressful?
Dumb question I guess but I want to know from peoples points of view.

From most that i've seen/heard, it requires 100% commitment, long hours, LOTS of reading. If you're working for a major city law firm, many of them will work you like an office slave and may make it seem quite boring.
The short answer is "yes".

The long answer is that working as a solicitor encompasses an enormous range of different types of work - ranging from residential property conveyancing to working in the city.

In general, working as a solicitor is stressful because you are involved at crucial times in the lives or businesses of your clients. Solicitors don't do a lot of "day-to-day" or "business-as-usual" stuff.

For example, if you are acting for members of the public doing conveyancing, buying a house is a stressful time for them. Likewise, if you are doing personal injury claims, that's stressful for your client too. Obviously it is stressful for your clients if you are a criminal solicitor and your client is facing jail.

If you are in the corporate world doing business transactions, you will be either doing litigation or you will be doing major transactions (such as mergers, acquisitions and corporate finance).

As solicitors tend to be helping clients with the most stressful times in their lives or for their business, solicitors do face pressure, and that can be stressful.

If you struggle to cope with a bit of pressure and stress, I would say being a solicitor is not a good career choice. Perhaps do something where you can work in a company doing more "day-to-day" type work.

That said, I do think some solicitors experience much less stress than others, it does depend what you are doing

I can think of other jobs that are more stressful than being a solicitor, I'm not suggesting that it is only solicitors who have stressful jobs.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes this is exactly what I've heard,thank you.
Original post by Adam1424
From most that i've seen/heard, it requires 100% commitment, long hours, LOTS of reading. If you're working for a major city law firm, many of them will work you like an office slave and may make it seem quite boring.
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply,Im definitely not good with stress.Don’t think it is the right job for me.
Original post by jacketpotato
The short answer is "yes".

The long answer is that working as a solicitor encompasses an enormous range of different types of work - ranging from residential property conveyancing to working in the city.

In general, working as a solicitor is stressful because you are involved at crucial times in the lives or businesses of your clients. Solicitors don't do a lot of "day-to-day" or "business-as-usual" stuff.

For example, if you are acting for members of the public doing conveyancing, buying a house is a stressful time for them. Likewise, if you are doing personal injury claims, that's stressful for your client too. Obviously it is stressful for your clients if you are a criminal solicitor and your client is facing jail.

If you are in the corporate world doing business transactions, you will be either doing litigation or you will be doing major transactions (such as mergers, acquisitions and corporate finance).

As solicitors tend to be helping clients with the most stressful times in their lives or for their business, solicitors do face pressure, and that can be stressful.

If you struggle to cope with a bit of pressure and stress, I would say being a solicitor is not a good career choice. Perhaps do something where you can work in a company doing more "day-to-day" type work.

That said, I do think some solicitors experience much less stress than others, it does depend what you are doing

I can think of other jobs that are more stressful than being a solicitor, I'm not suggesting that it is only solicitors who have stressful jobs.
Reply 5
Yes I am,its making me stressed
Yes I am,its making me stressed

Doesn't sound like Law is for you, Jasmine. What A levels are you doing and is there any other areas of work that interests you at the moment?
Thank you for your reply,Im definitely not good with stress.Don’t think it is the right job for me.

All jobs are stressful, I'm afraid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending