The Student Room Group

A level choices for medicine?

My plan is to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I found the last maths paper quite hard. Would it still be okay for me to do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology instead?
Depends what you want to go into within the medicinal area :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by daeho14
My plan is to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths but I found the last maths paper quite hard. Would it still be okay for me to do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology instead?

No problem with those choices unless your heart is set on Cambridge/Oxford who prefer Maths/Physics.
Reply 3
Original post by blueberryba
Depends what you want to go into within the medicinal area :smile:

I want to eventually become a paediatrician
Reply 4
Original post by Laycity
No problem with those choices unless your heart is set on Cambridge/Oxford who prefer Maths/Physics.

Okay then!! I was hoping for some in London like imperial and ucl
Oh interesting! I was told to be a doctor you have to have maths, chemistry and biology A levels 😕
It must be recommended then if it’s not a necessary thing. I thought you had to have at least chemistry and biology though
Oh yeah I’m not debating just wondering out loud, sorry! :smile: That’s great then, didn’t know that
check uni websites.. some require bio chem + maths/science whereas others don’t
Reply 9
hey I'm in U6 and I applied to medicine (firm choice is st Andrews):

- most, if not all, uni will ask for chemistry and at least an A. I haven't come across a UK uni that doesn't ask for an A in chem
- Biology is incredibly useful, quite hard work but if you're into medicine it will give you some essential foundations
- most unis ask for chemistry plus one other science, this can be maths/physics/biology or some accept psychology as a science, they will specify if they do or don't. but if you're not sure email admissions
- if you're on the fence about maths, *don't do it*, just some personal advice. maths this year has been a bit of a disaster. I was really confident in GCSE maths and I did ad maths as well, yet U6 maths has just been very difficult. if you want to spare yourself, definitely take psychology instead.
- some uni like your third to be a humanities (e.g. Brighton and Sussex) but that's not necessary if it's not your thing

personally I am taking chem, bio, maths and PE. PE has been a godsend as it's biology but a bit simplified plus some basic movement physics and some history/politics which makes it interesting.
Original post by daeho14

not sure, i suspect it will be fine but you could always email some Uni admissions tutors and ask their opinion (just be careful how you word the message, and they will be honest and let you know exact implications).

I would say medical degrees aren't easy and i wouldn't recommend picking a levels just because you struggle now, pick the path for best preparation and put the extra work in, if you want it enough you can make it happen, push through adversity not side step it. good luck!
Original post by drprval
hey I'm in U6 and I applied to medicine (firm choice is st Andrews):

- most, if not all, uni will ask for chemistry and at least an A. I haven't come across a UK uni that doesn't ask for an A in chem
- Biology is incredibly useful, quite hard work but if you're into medicine it will give you some essential foundations
- most unis ask for chemistry plus one other science, this can be maths/physics/biology or some accept psychology as a science, they will specify if they do or don't. but if you're not sure email admissions
- if you're on the fence about maths, *don't do it*, just some personal advice. maths this year has been a bit of a disaster. I was really confident in GCSE maths and I did ad maths as well, yet U6 maths has just been very difficult. if you want to spare yourself, definitely take psychology instead.
- some uni like your third to be a humanities (e.g. Brighton and Sussex) but that's not necessary if it's not your thing

personally I am taking chem, bio, maths and PE. PE has been a godsend as it's biology but a bit simplified plus some basic movement physics and some history/politics which makes it interesting.

U6 maths? What’s that if you don’t mind me asking..? 🥺
upper sixth, last year of UK secondary education before university :smile:
U6 maths? What’s that if you don’t mind me asking..? 🥺
Original post by drprval
upper sixth, last year of UK secondary education before university :smile:

lol didn’t know it was called that, thanks! :smile:
haha that's ok, some schools call it year 13 if that helps
lol didn’t know it was called that, thanks! :smile:
Original post by drprval
haha that's ok, some schools call it year 13 if that helps

yeah that’s what i know it as, just generally called sixth form with year 12 and 13

Quick Reply

Latest