The Student Room Group

Habitual liar, lazy con artist and sex pest about to be made PM

You couldn't make it up.

boris.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Seems to tick all the usual boxes for those who have achieved high office.
It’s an iffy situation, I don’t know anyone else that’s really better in past matters or able to actually lead that’s also not absolutely hated
Original post by ThunderBeard
It’s an iffy situation, I don’t know anyone else that’s really better in past matters or able to actually lead that’s also not absolutely hated

So the argument is that Boris is the best of a bad lot? Or just that we don't care any more, so he can slither into the highest office in the land without a murmur because we just expect the PM to be a complete ****?
Best of a bad lot, he’s got more experience than most, having led London before. Honestly, I feel most of the country will be fine as soon as Brexit is sorted out and as long as he can do that he’ll be ok (as the general consensus)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
So the argument is that Boris is the best of a bad lot? Or just that we don't care any more, so he can slither into the highest office in the land without a murmur because we just expect the PM to be a complete ****?
It is such a breath of fresh air, though, to hear a prominent Conservative, who has any kind of realistic shot of leading the party and becoming PM, talk openly about cutting taxes, other than at the lowest levels of income.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It is such a breath of fresh air, though, to hear a prominent Conservative, who has any kind of realistic shot of leading the party and becoming PM, talk openly about cutting taxes, other than at the lowest levels of income.

We are already at the lower end of income tax rates in the developed world and we have huge public sector funding problems - not least caused by an ageing and undertaxed middle class and increasing older population - in the NHS, in social care, policing - all are in crisis, as well as education.

It's a completely rubbish idea to propose further tax cuts and calculated purely to appeal to the overwhelming stupidity of Tory members in the Home Counties and their self-absorbed clueless indifference to the realities of this country and their Daily Mail-driven false beliefs about the use of public money.
Original post by ThunderBeard
Best of a bad lot, he’s got more experience than most, having led London before. Honestly, I feel most of the country will be fine as soon as Brexit is sorted out and as long as he can do that he’ll be ok (as the general consensus)

He was an absolutely dreadful Mayor of London. He wasted hideous amounts of public money on pointless schemes and things that simply don't work. He was shamelessly uninterested in being accountable and to top all that, was lazy and uninterested. His main preoccupation as Mayor was trying to sell high-end property to China, presumably to boost the value of his own house.
I tried to make the best out of a bad situation before boris’s past hopelessly crushed me
He was an absolutely dreadful Mayor of London. He wasted hideous amounts of public money on pointless schemes and things that simply don't work. He was shamelessly uninterested in being accountable and to top all that, was lazy and uninterested. His main preoccupation as Mayor was trying to sell high-end property to China, presumably to boost the value of his own house.
We are already at the lower end of income tax rates in the developed world and we have huge public sector funding problems - not least caused by an ageing and undertaxed middle class and increasing older population - in the NHS, in social care, policing - all are in crisis, as well as education.

It's a completely rubbish idea to propose further tax cuts and calculated purely to appeal to the overwhelming stupidity of Tory members in the Home Counties and their self-absorbed clueless indifference to the realities of this country and their Daily Mail-driven false beliefs about the use of public money.

It's very strange to apply the word 'rubbish' to what you must know is a value judgement. There are plenty of us who have a perfectly realistic understanding of public spending, for example, and would still quite like the state to play a smaller role in our lives and take less of our income.

It's fine, albeit fundamentally uniniteresting, that you disagree with that. I'm just glad that you're not up for the Tory leadership.
Original post by londonmyst
Seems to tick all the usual boxes for those who have achieved high office.

That is very unfair to all the holders since David Lloyd George, the last sex pest and serial adulterer to be PM. You would never call Margaret Thatcher lazy, nor Winston Churchill. Tony Blair' only lies were about Iraq and WMD.

The Tories have other candidates determined to leave the EU on 31 October. So no need to choose Mr Johnson. Jacob Rees-Mogg and Iain Duncan-Smith as committed Christians cannot be true to their faith to support a man with no morals.
It's very strange to apply the word 'rubbish' to what you must know is a value judgement. There are plenty of us who have a perfectly realistic understanding of public spending, for example, and would still quite like the state to play a smaller role in our lives and take less of our income.

It's fine, albeit fundamentally uniniteresting, that you disagree with that. I'm just glad that you're not up for the Tory leadership.

It's morally indefensible to demand further tax cuts (and therefore, inevitably, further public spending cuts) after a decade of austerity and crisis levels in many areas that those same middle class voters Johnson is appealing to would want to be maintained properly, such as the police (who are now in crisis everywhere, police are leaving because of the conditions with single crewing and a tidal wave of violence as the underclass are systematically deprived of state help), the NHS (declining services, staff leaving, hideous pressures on those remaining, wilful destruction of key services such as GPs) and education (most schools are hard pressed) - yet these purely political games, completely lacking either integrity or an objective rationale, are what passes for electioneering in the mad circus that is the Tory leadership selection process.
Original post by barnetlad
That is very unfair to all the holders since David Lloyd George, the last sex pest and serial adulterer to be PM. You would never call Margaret Thatcher lazy, nor Winston Churchill. Tony Blair' only lies were about Iraq and WMD.

The Tories have other candidates determined to leave the EU on 31 October. So no need to choose Mr Johnson. Jacob Rees-Mogg and Iain Duncan-Smith as committed Christians cannot be true to their faith to support a man with no morals.

They seem to be determined to pick the worst character possible, purely on the basis that Nigel Farage is even more unpleasant.
If the bloke from the Greens were in the same position, we could all call him a murderer and a contemporary of Farage at Dulwich.
It's morally indefensible to demand further tax cuts (and therefore, inevitably, further public spending cuts) after a decade of austerity and crisis levels in many areas that those same middle class voters Johnson is appealing to would want to be maintained properly, such as the police (who are now in crisis everywhere, police are leaving because of the conditions with single crewing and a tidal wave of violence as the underclass are systematically deprived of state help), the NHS (declining services, staff leaving, hideous pressures on those remaining, wilful destruction of key services such as GPs) and education (most schools are hard pressed)

Yeah, again, I already know that's your view. Obviously that's your view.

Do you think you have a shot at winning me over to the big government school of politics, or something? Otherwise, what are you getting at?

- yet these purely political games, completely lacking either integrity or an objective rationale, are what passes for electioneering in the mad circus that is the Tory leadership selection process.

Do you really think Boris doesn't like the idea of lower taxes? Because I think there's a good chance he does.

Even if he doesn't, I'll take it.
Original post by barnetlad

I know the history and am not restricting my comment to either the UK or past PMs.
I am commenting on secular politics and history.
Not Christianity or the religious beliefs of MP's.
If I had been old enough I would have voted for Tony Blair, Winston Churchill and Mrs Thatcher.

All my friends who are conservative party members are supporting Johnson or Raab.
I take it you have forgotten Tony Blair's "education, education, education" and "whiter than white, purer than pure" comments?
Original post by Notoriety
If the bloke from the Greens were in the same position, we could all call him a murderer and a contemporary of Farage at Dulwich.

Do you mean Jonathan Bartley?
If so- those two wouldn't even make my top 10 list of accusations and insults.
Original post by londonmyst
Do you mean Jonathan Bartley?
If so- those two wouldn't even make my top 10 list of accusations and insults.

Yeah. He is a bit on the periphery, so I don't really follow his career.
Even if he doesn't, I'll take it.

I just hope for your sake you never need the police, fire or ambulance, the NHS or some care in your old age.

Still a better mayor than Khan, and will no doubt be a better pm than May

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending