The Student Room Group

Gcse grades not good enough

I know that you have to get a grade 6 in biology to do psychology for A-level but i really messed up with my organisation and didn't do as much revision for biology as i should have. Basically i don't think i've got a good grade and i was wondering if you think you might be allowed to do a subject with some kind of appeal?
Apparently sociology is somewhat similar to psychology :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah i think so but i think it's more to do with society and psychology is more about an individual person
Original post by blueberryba
Apparently sociology is somewhat similar to psychology :smile:
Not really, I’ve done psychology for GCSE, it’s about behaviour and the mind
that's weird, in my school to do A level Psychology you only need a 4 in maths and english and a 5 in one of the humanities subject like history, geography or religious studies
Original post by Keke.n
I know that you have to get a grade 6 in biology to do psychology for A-level but i really messed up with my organisation and didn't do as much revision for biology as i should have. Basically i don't think i've got a good grade and i was wondering if you think you might be allowed to do a subject with some kind of appeal?
Reply 5
I don't know if it would be the reason but I go to a grammar school
Original post by Random_101
that's weird, in my school to do A level Psychology you only need a 4 in maths and english and a 5 in one of the humanities subject like history, geography or religious studies
that probably explains it then lol
Original post by Keke.n
Original post by Keke.n

if you put in a good enough argument as to why you will be able to cope with psychology a level (and i think high grades across other subjects would defo help) then i don't see why not. don't underestimate yourself, you probably did better than you think :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you so much but I definitely know I didn't perform well because I ended up not revising much but ill just hope for the best.

Original post by mez_merising
if you put in a good enough argument as to why you will be able to cope with psychology a level (and i think high grades across other subjects would defo help) then i don't see why not. don't underestimate yourself, you probably did better than you think :smile:
Original post by Keke.n

Nothing to lose from appealing if you get maybe a 5, but do you think you will appeal if you get a 4 or less?
You should have thought of this at least 6 months ago.

If you intend to do psych at uni, then they dont have any subject requirements normally. There may be some preference to showing some science or math ability. Ps you do know Psych as a subject is saturated with graduates and you are unlikely to get a job directly related to it?
Reply 10
The job I want to do is dependent 2 of my A-levels. Psychology will also help but I'm mostly doing it because I think I'd enjoy it. Also do the bit saying I should have thought about this 6 months ago, 6 months ago I never thought I'd have to think about this because everything was going well until some personal issues came up during and before my exams and unfortunately I struggled to keep on top of things.
Original post by 999tigger
Nothing to lose from appealing if you get maybe a 5, but do you think you will appeal if you get a 4 or less?
You should have thought of this at least 6 months ago.

If you intend to do psych at uni, then they dont have any subject requirements normally. There may be some preference to showing some science or math ability. Ps you do know Psych as a subject is saturated with graduates and you are unlikely to get a job directly related to it?
Original post by Keke.n
The job I want to do is dependent 2 of my A-levels. Psychology will also help but I'm mostly doing it because I think I'd enjoy it. Also do the bit saying I should have thought about this 6 months ago, 6 months ago I never thought I'd have to think about this because everything was going well until some personal issues came up during and before my exams and unfortunately I struggled to keep on top of things.

No idea what you mean by your first bit, but dont think its relevant to me.
What was the personal stuff? You could potentially use that as part of your appeal.
You also dont have your result yet, so I do suggest once you have figured out your course of action, chased it up with the school, then you put it to one side and dont fret about it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Oh lol. I could write about it but there are others that wouldn't want me to write about it :/
Original post by 999tigger
No idea what you mean by your first bit, but dont think its relevant to me.
What was the personal stuff? You could potentially use that as part of your appeal.
Original post by Keke.n
Oh lol. I could write about it but there are others that wouldn't want me to write about it :/

I dont think that moves me any further forward , so my advice stands.
Original post by Keke.n

If you have done psychology for GCSE then your school may allow you to do A-Level psychology. You could ask your teachers what the options are. I'm pretty sure you will be fine. Good luck in getting your results!:biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by GeekGirlsRule
If you have done psychology for GCSE then your school may allow you to do A-Level psychology. You could ask your teachers what the options are. I'm pretty sure you will be fine. Good luck in getting your results!:biggrin:

thank you I actually got the grades to do the a-levels I wanted!! I'm really shocked

Quick Reply

Latest