The Student Room Group

Habitual liar, lazy con artist and sex pest about to be made PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Boris the bell end
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They seem to be determined to pick the worst character possible, purely on the basis that Nigel Farage is even more unpleasant.

Nigel Farage's policies are more unpleasant, not his personal behaviour.
FoS doesn't like someone on the right? :rolleyes:

Guess you're running out of surprises to be full of, aren't you?
Original post by Drewski
FoS doesn't like someone on the right? :rolleyes:

Guess you're running out of surprises to be full of, aren't you?

Oh dear. One does hate to be predictable. :blush:

However, I'm not pointing out Boris's right wingery (which, like most things about him, is heavily faked up for the idiot Tory membership - he's really very centrist, in a typically daffy Boris sort of way) but his laziness, his total inability to ever speak the truth, the pathetic way he cons people with his not very funny humour and underneath all that, someone who Jeremy Paxman once pointed out is really not a very nice man.
I must admit, as a feminist I don't like the way he treats women. Trump's the same. Where have all the old fashioned gentlemen gone?
So the argument is that Boris is the best of a bad lot? Or just that we don't care any more, so he can slither into the highest office in the land without a murmur because we just expect the PM to be a complete ****?
Dominic Raab is the one.
Original post by ChrisW99
Dominic Raab is the one.

I don't think he's going to make it onto the final ballot - it will most likely be Johnson-vs-Hunt.
I don't think he's going to make it onto the final ballot - it will most likely be Johnson-vs-Hunt.

Fruitcake vs rice cake.
Reply 28
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It is such a breath of fresh air, though, to hear a prominent Conservative, who has any kind of realistic shot of leading the party and becoming PM, talk openly about cutting taxes, other than at the lowest levels of income.

What do you propose that we cut to fund such tax cuts? Genuine question. The perception of economic competence is hard won and easily lost. If the Tories start pledging unfunded tax cuts they will lose it. They can't, with any integrity, complain about Labour making unfunded pledges.

What is the justification for giving a tax cut to those who are financially well off, rather than to those struggling at the bottom?
(edited 4 years ago)
You couldn't make it up.

boris.jpg

Whatever you say about him, he is charismatic and has the personality to make tough decisions and fight hard for a fair Brexit. Completely different to May who was frankly boring, servile, submissive, passive etc etc.

I think he has a job to finish Brexit negotiations on a flourish and then **** off.
Johnson is a shoe-in now. I suspect this contest won't go to a general membership vote.

Given Conservative MPs demonstrated back in 2016 how good they are at identifying the most talented and suitable candidate to be the PM, I look forward to the continuing slow demise of the party.
There are plenty of us who have a perfectly realistic understanding of public spending, for example, and would still quite like the state to play a smaller role in our lives and take less of our income.

Johnson's track record as the mayor of London is quite clear. He squanders money on headline grabbing vanity projects (hugely overpriced buses, London garden bridge, water cannons, etc.). His track record isn't just big government, it's inefficient big government.

So we can only assume you've either naively bought into Johnson's rhetoric or your commitment to a smaller state is about as sincere as Jeremy Corbyn's.
I swear every time I hear about somebody being elected they're always described negatively. Are people just generally conflicted or is the entirety of parliament an actual circus?
BREAKING NEWS: Politicians is about to become PM.

All politicians are lying, unsavoury parasites. If you think Corbyn or Cable are any different, you're frankly deluded.

I'm voting Brexit party, because I want Brexit. They're a single-issue party and I don't have to agree with them on anything else besides Brexit. Voting for a party is not an endorsement of a candidate, by the way.
Original post by DSilva
What do you propose that we cut to fund such tax cuts? Genuine question. The perception of economic competence is hard won and easily lost. If the Tories start pledging unfunded tax cuts they will lose it. They can't, with any integrity, complain about Labour making unfunded pledges.

What is the justification for giving a tax cut to those who are financially well off, rather than to those struggling at the bottom?

I'm not too fussy, subject to some particular spending priorities I have. I'm sure any tax cuts will be spread widely around the government departments. Your point about the optics of the pledge could have some merit. I guess we'll see.

The justification is that taxes on people on that level of income are too high. As Boris rightly pointed out, huge numbers of people have been brought into that bracket by fiscal drag. It was never supposed to apply so widely, and it shouldn't now.

I don't think it has to be justified as against 'those struggling at the bottom'. The duty of those making £50 - 80k is not unlimited, and at the moment I agree with Boris that too much is asked of them. 40% is a very high proportion of one's income, set against all the other taxes one has to deal with.

I do not see it as a simple question, posed against a neutral moral backdrop, of to whom the state should gift its particular amount of resources. Taxation involves taking people's own money. My own view is that taking requires stronger justification than not giving.

Again, though, it's a bit of a pointless argument. Nobody is realistically going to change anyone's basic ideology here.
Original post by Kill3rCat
BREAKING NEWS: Politicians is about to become PM.

All politicians are lying, unsavoury parasites. If you think Corbyn or Cable are any different, you're frankly deluded.

I'm voting Brexit party, because I want Brexit. They're a single-issue party and I don't have to agree with them on anything else besides Brexit. Voting for a party is not an endorsement of a candidate, by the way.

Brexit Party isn't even a party, it has no membership or structures, no policies and no leadership team. It is a dodgy offshore corporation owned by Nigel's mates and purely designed to be a wrapper for whatever Nigel wants. The MEPs it has are total ciphers and nonentities, plus a few Tory has beens and some rather sinister hard right people. Absolutely horrible people supporting a loudmouth who is a stooge for foreign oligarchs.

I'd much prefer BJ to Hunt. At least we know what we're getting with BJ, Hunt is a slimy piece of work.
Reply 37
I'm not too fussy, subject to some particular spending priorities I have. I'm sure any tax cuts will be spread widely around the government departments. Your point about the optics of the pledge could have some merit. I guess we'll see.

The justification is that taxes on people on that level of income are too high. As Boris rightly pointed out, huge numbers of people have been brought into that bracket by fiscal drag. It was never supposed to apply so widely, and it shouldn't now.

I don't think it has to be justified as against 'those struggling at the bottom'. The duty of those making £50 - 80k is not unlimited, and at the moment I agree with Boris that too much is asked of them. 40% is a very high proportion of one's income, set against all the other taxes one has to deal with.

I do not see it as a simple question, posed against a neutral moral backdrop, of to whom the state should gift its particular amount of resources. Taxation involves taking people's own money. My own view is that taking requires stronger justification than not giving.

Again, though, it's a bit of a pointless argument. Nobody is realistically going to change anyone's basic ideology here.

The difficulty is that there aren't obvious areas to cut large chunks of spending from. Several government departments have already been subject to 40% cuts in their budgets. And these cuts do have substantial impacts. Think about how many courts have been closed, and how many police officers have been laid off, for example. Lots of public services are seriously struggling as they are and the ability for them to absorb a new wave of cuts is incredibly remote.

I think it's reasonable to ask those who are suggesting substantial tax cuts to explain what exactly should be cut to fund it. For the sake of honesty and transparency more than anything else. Just as the onus is on Labour to explain where they will get all the money they propose spending, from. Otherwise the Tories are just engaging in fantasy economics.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be justified against those at the bottom, but IF there is any surplus or any money to be distributed, I can't see why those already earning good salaries should be prioritised over those with far less.

On a separate note, what are your thoughts on Rory Stewart?
(edited 4 years ago)
Its by no means certain he will be able to command a majority.
Interesting to see our choice is between Corbyn. Johnson and possibly Farage.
Not very inspiring and you wonder where this country went wrong.

Its a shame there wasnt an election much sooner than this rather than the current government clinging on by feeding the DUP.
Reply 39
i didn't even know i was in the running

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending