The Student Room Group

Does anyone here have selective mutism or social phobia?

Hey guys, I’ve always known there was something wrong with me since I was around 9 and now I’m 18 and I still haven’t changed :frown: I was unable to talk to people in my class and I still can’t - I don’t want to self diagnose and be stupid about this but the symptoms really match what I’ve gone through and been through so I was wondering if anyone here could share their experience on it and how you got help / changed ...
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I’ve always known there was something wrong with me since I was around 9 and now I’m 18 and I still haven’t changed :frown: I was unable to talk to people in my class and I still can’t - I don’t want to self diagnose and be stupid about this but the symptoms really match what I’ve gone through and been through so I was wondering if anyone here could share their experience on it and how you got help / changed ...

I'm 17 and I've got social anxiety ('social phobia'). I did consider for a while if I might have selective mutism but after researching it more I don't think I have. After seeing CAMHS for a while (for that and other issues), my therapist said she thinks I might have high-functioning autism (ASD) - previously known as Asperger's. I'm in the process of getting an assessment for that but that seems to explain a lot of my symptoms, especially socially. It also can cause severe social anxiety and lead to things similar to selective mutism.

Self-diagnosing isn't always a bad thing. Obviously it isn't a formal diagnosis but there's a lot of shaming online for people who self-diagnose but in reality all it is is identifying your issues and symptoms and trying to understand what might be causing it.

I suggest you ask your GP about it. They'll be able to give you more guidence and maybe refer you to the mental health service - although I don't know much about the process for 18+ since it won't be CAMHS. Maybe also get a counsellor at school/uni/college or a separate organisation?

Also perhaps research ASD and see if you match any of the criteria. I didn't realise how much it linked to social anxiety and 'selective mutism' before. I'm not saying you're autistic but it's something to bear in mind.

I have selective mutism caused by my ASD and anxiety disorders. I had counselling to combat my issues for a few months and it really helped me break out of my mutism a bit more. I still struggle but it's getting better. It's good to let people around you know what's going on because then you feel less pressure when the issue arrises :h:
I’ve had Sm since I was 3/4 years old and now also have social anxiety disorder, I can’t remember not being to scared to speak to adults (especially teachers). I went to CAHMS for help but they just said there was nothing they could do, but I am slowly improving by myself.
Calling it social phobia is not cool. Please call it by it's proper modern name which is social anxiety.

Yes, many people have social anxiety, it is a common anxiety disorder and now the most understood and acceptable to society.

Social anxiety has huge overlaps with othe anxiety disorders - panic disorder, general anxiety disorder, agoraphobia and other conditions.
Reply 5
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I'm 17 and I've got social anxiety ('social phobia'). I did consider for a while if I might have selective mutism but after researching it more I don't think I have. After seeing CAMHS for a while (for that and other issues), my therapist said she thinks I might have high-functioning autism (ASD) - previously known as Asperger's. I'm in the process of getting an assessment for that but that seems to explain a lot of my symptoms, especially socially. It also can cause severe social anxiety and lead to things similar to selective mutism.

Self-diagnosing isn't always a bad thing. Obviously it isn't a formal diagnosis but there's a lot of shaming online for people who self-diagnose but in reality all it is is identifying your issues and symptoms and trying to understand what might be causing it.

I suggest you ask your GP about it. They'll be able to give you more guidence and maybe refer you to the mental health service - although I don't know much about the process for 18+ since it won't be CAMHS. Maybe also get a counsellor at school/uni/college or a separate organisation?

Also perhaps research ASD and see if you match any of the criteria. I didn't realise how much it linked to social anxiety and 'selective mutism' before. I'm not saying you're autistic but it's something to bear in mind.

Thanks for responding, I just checked a little about ASD and the symptoms do seem quiet similar - I’ve been to the doctor about my low moods and feel like maybe they could sort that out first I guess
Reply 6
Calling it social phobia is not cool. Please call it by it's proper modern name which is social anxiety.

Yes, many people have social anxiety, it is a common anxiety disorder and now the most understood and acceptable to society.

Social anxiety has huge overlaps with othe anxiety disorders - panic disorder, general anxiety disorder, agoraphobia and other conditions.

I’ve had Sm since I was 3/4 years old and now also have social anxiety disorder, I can’t remember not being to scared to speak to adults (especially teachers). I went to CAHMS for help but they just said there was nothing they could do, but I am slowly improving by myself.

I’m glad you are I’ve been for an assessment but they only sent me to talking therapy which haven’t even got back to me . This was for a different issue but I told them about me not being able to talk and they kind of ignored me I guess

I have selective mutism (self diagnosed because doctors are lazy and couldn't care less)
Reply 8
Original post by Coconutloverxx
I have selective mutism (self diagnosed because doctors are lazy and couldn't care less)

Same here, self diagnosed bc the docs don’t recognise it or understand when i Tell them I can’t speak in certain situations and I go silent
My step brother had the same for around 5 years! I don’t know much about it because we aren’t that close, but I just wanted to say that with therapy and help he managed to overcome it! He’s now a uni and is having a lovely time. Just wanted to let you know that you’ll get there, and people overcome it!
🔼 By “had the same” I mean he had such bad social anxiety that he didn’t speak for 5 years, not even to his family
My step brother had the same for around 5 years! I don’t know much about it because we aren’t that close, but I just wanted to say that with therapy and help he managed to overcome it! He’s now a uni and is having a lovely time. Just wanted to let you know that you’ll get there, and people overcome it!

Thankyou for the reassurance, I wish both you and your stepbrother the best
Thankyou for the reassurance, I wish both you and your stepbrother the best

Thank you, you’ll get there in the end, it takes time 😊
Same here, self diagnosed bc the docs don’t recognise it or understand when i Tell them I can’t speak in certain situations and I go silent

So embarrassing when that happens tho :eek:
I was diagnosed when I was younger but I've been discharged from the speech and language
Original post by Obolinda
I was diagnosed when I was younger but I've been discharged from the speech and language

Has the speech and language helped you

Quick Reply

Latest