The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea uni entry requirements cs

Hey guys,
So I really ****ed up my maths paper 2 and feeling depressed. I still have a paper 3 maths to go. My subjects are maths physics and computer science.

I applied to Swansea for computer sciences and got a BBB offer. However right now I'm looking more towards like a CCD. Does anyone have any idea regarding the entry requirements for Swansea. I really wanna go there. :frown:

Much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

If you get CCD you will not get accepted. They offered you BBB, going one to two grades below is pushing it.
If you do get bad grades, you can go into clearing. Or even re-sit yr13 again.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
can't they give me alternative courses like with foundation
Original post by Ahmadbajwa
Hey guys,
So I really ****ed up my maths paper 2 and feeling depressed. I still have a paper 3 maths to go. My subjects are maths physics and computer science.

I applied to Swansea for computer sciences and got a BBB offer. However right now I'm looking more towards like a CCD. Does anyone have any idea regarding the entry requirements for Swansea. I really wanna go there. :frown:

Much appreciated

Hi @Ahmadbajwa,

While we can't really confirm anything at this stage in terms of specifics, what I can say is that if you don't meet your offer we will look again at your application before making any further decision. We will also automatically consider you for the course with a foundation year too if we can't maintain your offer for the three-year course. Due to you having essentially the 'perfect' A Level selection for the course (i.e. any one of those A Levels alone would allow us to make somebody a conditional offer regardless of the subject area of the other two), you have put yourself in the best possible position for us to try to find reasons to maintain your offer if you don't hit BBB come results day.

In short, don't panic! Best of luck with your remaining exams :smile:

Jamie
Reply 4
Thanks, Jamie. I first visited Swansea when I was visiting England back in 2014. It had something that just gravitated me. I went to Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester however still Swansea appealed to me the most. Perhaps its because a lot of my Pakistani friends went there and said how wonderful the experience was. Or perhaps it's just the fact that it is a fantastic campus a beautiful location. Nonetheless ever since then, I have just really wanted to go there, thus making it my first choice. How has your experience been? :smile:

Hoping for the best,

Ahmad.
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi @Ahmadbajwa,

While we can't really confirm anything at this stage in terms of specifics, what I can say is that if you don't meet your offer we will look again at your application before making any further decision. We will also automatically consider you for the course with a foundation year too if we can't maintain your offer for the three-year course. Due to you having essentially the 'perfect' A Level selection for the course (i.e. any one of those A Levels alone would allow us to make somebody a conditional offer regardless of the subject area of the other two), you have put yourself in the best possible position for us to try to find reasons to maintain your offer if you don't hit BBB come results day.

In short, don't panic! Best of luck with your remaining exams :smile:

Jamie
Just a word of advice. Computer science has moved to the new campus last September.
Thanks, Jamie. I first visited Swansea when I was visiting England back in 2014. It had something that just gravitated me. I went to Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester however still Swansea appealed to me the most. Perhaps its because a lot of my Pakistani friends went there and said how wonderful the experience was. Or perhaps it's just the fact that it is a fantastic campus a beautiful location. Nonetheless ever since then, I have just really wanted to go there, thus making it my first choice. How has your experience been? :smile:

Hoping for the best,

Ahmad.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your visit!

I'm born and raised Swansea, studied here at the university between 2009 and 2013 (with a year abroad in Salamanca, Spain), and have now been working here since 2017 - and I'm also studying for a masters part time currently. Within a year or so of leaving university after my undergraduate, I decided that I saw my future with the university as I missed the campus atmosphere, so I worked towards building the experience needed to secure a good job here.

That hopefully gives you an idea of how my experience has been - I always want to be here in some capacity, be it as a career and as a student! Beyond the academic requirement side of things, as someone with strong personal links to the university and city of Swansea, I'm more than happy to talk about any aspects about living and studying in Swansea that you may wish to ask :smile:

Jamie
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
Just a word of advice. Computer science has moved to the new campus last September.

Excellent point - the new campus you can see here.

You'll be glad to know however that this campus is even closer to the beach than the one you may have already seen in Singleton.

The big advantage to this of course is that the facilities for our Computer Sciences courses are all brand new and state of the art!

Jamie
Reply 8
How long is Singleton from Bay? I applied for housing over there cause it was cheaper and plus there were better reviews for the social aspect on every forum. Thanks
How long is Singleton from Bay? I applied for housing over there cause it was cheaper and plus there were better reviews for the social aspect on every forum. Thanks

I've just taken a look - it's just over 4.5miles (about 7.5km) by road between both campuses, following along the coast. There is a 24 hour bus service that travels between the two campuses (with the city centre in between), which you can find out a bit more about here.

I will say in regards to the social aspect of the Bay campus that opinions have been getting more and more positive year on year since the campus opened. I think in the first few years, the smaller number of students made it feel a bit more quiet. However, as time has gone on the number of students has expanded and the campus has found its identity, and now people seem to enjoy it a lot more. It's of course totally up to you where you want to live, but if you've got any doubts at all about the decisions you have made please do get in touch with the team by emailing [email protected]. They can talk about the specifics of the two campuses as a place to live with you, and should you decide to change your mind on where to live I'm sure they can discuss your options :smile:

Let me know if there's anything else!

Jamie
You never know I got BCD.
Original post by kurro
If you get CCD you will not get accepted. They offered you BBB, going one to two grades below is pushing it.
If you do get bad grades, you can go into clearing. Or even re-sit yr13 again.

Although we can't say for sure based on data from previous years you still have a chance. If not they do a foundation year. For some reason the below link redirects to the foundation year unistats. The correct entry information can be found on Swansea's website at the bottom.
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/computer-science/bsc-computer-science-g400/
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entry/10007855FT-BSHS3XXXCSCS/ReturnTo/

According to Which the average entrant to the course at Swansea has BCC which is below their entry requirements.
https://university.which.co.uk/swansea-university-s93/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-2019-0acb0b1c20a7
Hey guys,

Much appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Singleton has the Students Union night club on its doorstep which runs every Friday. However, due to the night buses you can get to Wind Street (Where most of the clubs are) via the number 8 buses from Bay Campus/Singleton which run through the night. I lived on Bay Campus when it was first created and the commute to town was not bad at all.

The bus ride from Singleton to Bay is not bad, around 30 minutes.
(edited 4 years ago)
So some universities still accept you even if you get 2-3 grades below? I STILL HAVE A CHANCE?!?! :biggrin:
Original post by Themysticalegg
You never know I got BCD.

Although we can't say for sure based on data from previous years you still have a chance. If not they do a foundation year. For some reason the below link redirects to the foundation year unistats. The correct entry information can be found on Swansea's website at the bottom.
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/computer-science/bsc-computer-science-g400/
https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entry/10007855FT-BSHS3XXXCSCS/ReturnTo/

According to Which the average entrant to the course at Swansea has BCC which is below their entry requirements.
https://university.which.co.uk/swansea-university-s93/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-2019-0acb0b1c20a7
Depends on the university, weren't you applying to Cardiff from recollection? The universities with the highest entry standards are the least lenient and the further down you go the more lenient they get generally. I would say it's worth looking at Unistats on the entry information column to see how realistic your university's entry requirements are. :tongue: But I would focus on doing the best you can. :tongue:
Original post by kurro
So some universities still accept you even if you get 2-3 grades below? I STILL HAVE A CHANCE?!?! :biggrin:
Good memory
finished exams yesterday, im a free man for now :cool:
And thanks for the suggestion, imma check it
Original post by Themysticalegg
Depends on the university, weren't you applying to Cardiff from recollection? The universities with the highest entry standards are the least lenient and the further down you go the more lenient they get generally. I would say it's worth looking at Unistats on the entry information column to see how realistic your university's entry requirements are. :tongue: But I would focus on doing the best you can. :tongue:
Reply 15
Kuro I gotta say you made me a bit depressed with your first comment ngl, gotta stay more positive bro :smile:. anything can happen
(edited 4 years ago)

You would get the number 8 bus, and its just over half an hour :-) Depending on how many lectures you have a week should influence how close to campus you want to live - as for time away from uni you really want to be close to the city centre :-)
It's good and all to think positive.

But going from BBB to CCD is a big stretch, no?
Kuro I gotta say you made me a bit depressed with your first comment ngl, gotta stay more positive bro :smile:. anything can happen
Original post by kurro
It's good and all to think positive.

But going from BBB to CCD is a big stretch, no?

Hi @kurro,

I take it you've applied for BSc Comp Sci too? If so, of course the same advice as above applies.

Don't forget that potential offer adjustment to our foundation year for the course. Yes, it will mean an extra year in university... but many people take those opportunities by the horns, excel in that foundation year and go on to do extremely well in the course proper.

In short, don't count yourself out of university just yet. You may do better than expected, and if your grades aren't what you'd hoped for there are still a number of opportunities that may quickly present themselves after, even if it ends up being different from your current plans.

Either way, I'm wishing everyone the best of luck in remaining exams!

Jamie
To be honest I'd say regardless of the results try to enjoy your summer holidays as there is nothing you can do about this until results day and you have no idea what the outcome is until that point anyway. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest