The Student Room Group

How do I prepare for maths a level during the summer after GCSEs?

I will obviously relax but I do think at least doing some sort of studying would be beneficial.
What can I do to familiarise myself with A level Maths?
Any websites?
Advice?
Any regrets/tips from current/ex students?

Thanks any help would be appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by Chemist123
I will obviously relax but I do think at least doing some sort of studying would be beneficial.
What can I do to familiarise myself with it?
Any websites?
Advice?

Snap.
Do you want to prepare for maths as well?
Original post by moftw
Snap.
Reply 3
Yeah, everything you said, I wanted to know too.
Do you want to prepare for maths as well?
Reply 4
What exam board are you on?
Edexcel

You?
Original post by moftw
What exam board are you on?
Reply 6
https://www.examsolutions.net/
Start learning the spec I guess?
Hi, I'm a year 12 student doing both Maths and further.

The thing people always say about Alevel maths is it's a huge jump up. That's not really true. In fact I found it rather gentle (and a bit boring tbh) at first. If you're doing further the jump is a bit more there, as you dive straight in with maths that's nothing like you've ever seen before.

When you start, you'll be doing a set of topics that basically goes over the gcse stuff you'll need in the rest of the course. This is the grade 9 GCSE stuff, and there is a slight change in emphasis (for example in GCSE you're often given simple questions up to 5 marks with lots of help involving one area of maths- at Alevel you might have a 10 mark question with very little guidance on how to solve it, and it might draw on multiple seemingly unrelated things you've studied). Also you'll need to get used to more long form proof style answers.

This contains things like quadratics (using the discriminant to solve problems and show things, quadratic inequalities, etc), coordinate geometry (equations of lines, tangents, normals, circles), simultaneous equations, surds and exponent rules.

This gives you a good way to get used to the new question style with familiar content. It's also slightly more rigorous, and the emphasis is on using these things as ways to solve other problems rather than for the sake of it.

What this means here basically then, is that you don't have to worry too much about prepping- and don't feel at all like you need to memorize content from gcse over the summer.

However, doing maths is always good- you need to make sure your intuition and problem solving skills don't suffer. So to prepare I would focus on the following areas:
1. Algebra. You're going to be doing a lot of it. Be happy solving big scary looking stuff- this will help you get used to Alevel where things don't always look nice.
2. Trig- Having a good understanding of trig will be vital to the Alevel course. Don't worry about memorising everything- you'll go over everything the start of the topic, but being comfortable with trig will be vital. Maybe sit and look at the graphs for a bit- see what your intuition tells you, you might be able to work out some things you'll be taught.
3. Graphs- Alevel is 90% about functions. Thinking about graphs is therefore vital and being comfortable with sketching quadratics, trig graphs and being able to think about graphs will be so useful. You don't have to do much- just make sure you're not intimidated by seeing a graph.

Finally though and most importantly- do some maths that interests you. Read about maths, find things you think look cool and learn them. Everything's easier if you're interested.

Hope this helps- if you have any questions DM me or reply I'll be happy to help
What can I do to familiarise myself with A level Maths?
Any websites?
Advice?

Just make sure your grade 7-9 algebra/trig/coordinate geometry is strong. If you don't want to, you don't have to do much work over the summer, but if you're interested you can start reading ahead.
How did you put what I took an essay to write above in a few sentences. Computer science has unearthed the waffler in me it seems.
Original post by _gcx
Just make sure your grade 7-9 algebra/trig/coordinate geometry is strong. If you don't want to, you don't have to do much work over the summer, but if you're interested you can start reading ahead.

Quick Reply

Latest