The Student Room Group

Detective Constable, DAY 2 Assessment. How can I prepare? What to expect?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
She posted above that she's starting in August.
Original post by Ewelina92
Hey Karolina are you working already as a TDC? Let me know.
Zaczynam w Sierpniu dopiero :frown:
Original post by Ewelina92
Hey Karolina are you working already as a TDC? Let me know.
Hi everyone, I have my Detective Constable Assessment in the next couple of days, so I thought I’d give an insight to my experience, and help answer some Qs I’ve seen pop up.
I will refer to Day 1 as the PC Assessment, Day 2 as the Officer Screening Day (Medical, Fitness Test, Drugs and DNA Test, Fingerprints) and Day 3 as the D.C. Assessment.

My Day 1 Assessment took place in mid-March this year. It took them a while to get back to me, but after around four weeks, I received an email telling me I’d passed, and that I had to complete a verbal reasoning test (VRT). I completed the VRT very soon after this email, and heard back within a week that I’d passed it. I was invited then to book onto my Day 2 Assessment.

My Day 2 Assessment took place in May; amongst all the other checks and tests, they asked for my current notice period, where I said that I finish my current job by July 31st. I was asked if I had any holidays in August, so I assume if I’m successful, they will want me to start then. (I’m kinda annoyed because I didn’t give them all the dates I’m busy in Aug, as I didn’t have my calendar to hand, so I’m hoping the vetting will take longer so I start in September or later).

After a couple of weeks, I received the good news that I’d passed my Day 2, and was invited to book onto Day 3. (I initially thought this also meant my vetting was complete, but from reading other threads, it seems this is ongoing, and lasts well after even the job offer, if successful)

I now have my Day 3 Assessment coming up in the next couple of days. I’m hoping that I’ll hear the outcome relatively soon after, however judging by previous experience, this will probably take a little longer than I expect.

In terms of hearing that the “D.C. workforce is full” I haven’t received or heard anything about this. All I assume is that I will be offered the job as a DC upon successful completion of Day 3, and PC if I am not successful on Day 3. I would honestly go by what the official emails tell you, and not what others are saying on the forums, as it will only worry you and cause you to speculate.

In terms of borough posting, I made a mistake in that I chose boroughs away from my home, and I have emailed twice about trying to change them but have heard nothing, so it is likely that I’ll have to bite the bullet and take what I’m given. After all, this is an incredible opportunity, and I will do anything for this role.

I think because of the competitive nature of this scheme, you’ll just have to sit tight until they get back to you, but they will do eventually. Perseverance is key, and waiting will pay off in the end :-)
Hello All, I recently got told their were no spaces either and that you get put on a waiting list. I passed my detective assessment but due to not having any spaces i have accepted the PC role. I was told that after 3 months if I sit the CID exam i can transfer over. Has anyone else been told this?Thanks for your help!
I was just told it's full and they won't progress my application any further at this point. No mention of a waiting list. Nor of transfers after 3 months. Just that I could do PC which I turned down.
Passed my detective assessment too.
I got an offer. There are no spaces for the coming months but im sure from september its all good.
Original post by Charlie1097
Hello All, I recently got told their were no spaces either and that you get put on a waiting list. I passed my detective assessment but due to not having any spaces i have accepted the PC role. I was told that after 3 months if I sit the CID exam i can transfer over. Has anyone else been told this?Thanks for your help!
Congrats! Did they tell you a likely time to pursue your application?
Original post by cyclomania
Passed my detective assessment too.
Oh really. i thought that if you didn't get in in this cohort you would have to wait until next year.
Original post by karolinaz96
I got an offer. There are no spaces for the coming months but im sure from september its all good.
Nope. Was a computer says no sort of answer. Vetting hasn't been sent yet (although they told me twice it had) so they won't take it further at this point. That was it. They don't know whether there will be spaces next year. So might have all been for nothing.
Ive got my detective assessment at the end of the month but now I'm wondering is it even worth it if I've got to do it all again next year!! It looks like there's only a few people getting offers?
Call the Met to find out, that would be the best option
Original post by Becky1707
Ive got my detective assessment at the end of the month but now I'm wondering is it even worth it if I've got to do it all again next year!! It looks like there's only a few people getting offers?
Has anyone recently been accepted and offered a DC role, just got my email saying I passed and after checks will get my start date, but assume they'll turn around and tell me it's full?
Hi All,

This has happened with me too, they sent me the day three confirmation email to book a date in but kept saying it was extremely full two days ago. Called today was told that they reached their maximum of candidates and will honour those who have been in the lengthy process but don’t know when that will be whether that is the end of the year or next year January. Feel very gutted and confused
Original post by WestHam1966
Hi everyone, I have my Detective Constable Assessment in the next couple of days, so I thought I’d give an insight to my experience, and help answer some Qs I’ve seen pop up.
I will refer to Day 1 as the PC Assessment, Day 2 as the Officer Screening Day (Medical, Fitness Test, Drugs and DNA Test, Fingerprints) and Day 3 as the D.C. Assessment.

My Day 1 Assessment took place in mid-March this year. It took them a while to get back to me, but after around four weeks, I received an email telling me I’d passed, and that I had to complete a verbal reasoning test (VRT). I completed the VRT very soon after this email, and heard back within a week that I’d passed it. I was invited then to book onto my Day 2 Assessment.

My Day 2 Assessment took place in May; amongst all the other checks and tests, they asked for my current notice period, where I said that I finish my current job by July 31st. I was asked if I had any holidays in August, so I assume if I’m successful, they will want me to start then. (I’m kinda annoyed because I didn’t give them all the dates I’m busy in Aug, as I didn’t have my calendar to hand, so I’m hoping the vetting will take longer so I start in September or later).

After a couple of weeks, I received the good news that I’d passed my Day 2, and was invited to book onto Day 3. (I initially thought this also meant my vetting was complete, but from reading other threads, it seems this is ongoing, and lasts well after even the job offer, if successful)

I now have my Day 3 Assessment coming up in the next couple of days. I’m hoping that I’ll hear the outcome relatively soon after, however judging by previous experience, this will probably take a little longer than I expect.

In terms of hearing that the “D.C. workforce is full” I haven’t received or heard anything about this. All I assume is that I will be offered the job as a DC upon successful completion of Day 3, and PC if I am not successful on Day 3. I would honestly go by what the official emails tell you, and not what others are saying on the forums, as it will only worry you and cause you to speculate.

In terms of borough posting, I made a mistake in that I chose boroughs away from my home, and I have emailed twice about trying to change them but have heard nothing, so it is likely that I’ll have to bite the bullet and take what I’m given. After all, this is an incredible opportunity, and I will do anything for this role.

I think because of the competitive nature of this scheme, you’ll just have to sit tight until they get back to you, but they will do eventually. Perseverance is key, and waiting will pay off in the end :-)
I am in the same position as you (well done!) - I highly doubt they'll say they're full. These things sadly take time, but I'm sure we'll both be offered a start date in due course. After monitoring other threads, it seems if they turn you away, it happens after the Day 1 assessment. But as I said, it's really unlikely they'll say you've passed the DC tests and explain they'll give you a start date (subject to vetting), then turn you away
Original post by spinky11
Has anyone recently been accepted and offered a DC role, just got my email saying I passed and after checks will get my start date, but assume they'll turn around and tell me it's full?
Presumably they wouldn't run the DC assessment if it was already full; as I mentioned, it looks like the people who are being turned down are those who have just taken the PC/Day 1 assessment. I'm at the stage where I'm waiting on my vetting to clear, and then I'll be offered a start date. My advice would be to go and take the assessment, and even if the unthinkable does happen, you'll know what to expect when you come to re-apply
Original post by Becky1707
Nope, definitely people who passed day 3 are being told it's full. I'm also only waiting for vetting and there are definitely no spaces for this year left so need to wait for more to come up next year. Fingers crossed.
Original post by WestHam1966
Presumably they wouldn't run the DC assessment if it was already full; as I mentioned, it looks like the people who are being turned down are those who have just taken the PC/Day 1 assessment. I'm at the stage where I'm waiting on my vetting to clear, and then I'll be offered a start date. My advice would be to go and take the assessment, and even if the unthinkable does happen, you'll know what to expect when you come to re-apply
Hi ! Anyone who is starting your training ! Do you know of any discounts for travel? Its really inconvenient the training is so far away..
Reply 58
Where are you training and where are you coming from?

Which borough have you been allocated?
I believe is colindale and traveling from Bromley. Allocated to Central South

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending