The Student Room Group

AQA A-level PSYCHOLOGY PAPER 3 2019 UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME

feel free to add any bits
1. Socially sensitive research -seiber and Stanley. Scientific justification to discrimination and challenges stereotypes.
2.paradigm shift- scientific revelation and newer research which is determinism will replace previous theories of free will
3.C and E
4. Nature nurture- debate. Rene decartes and Heredity/Heredity coefficient. Nurture -john Locke. Interactionist and deathesi stress model with Tienari et al with finish adopted. Epigentics.

1.explain Oedipus complex . Evaluation: unconscious concepts . And limited case study support little Hans
2.Kohlber theory.
Gender identity-2-3 years
Gender stability-4-6
Gender constancy 6-7+
Evaluation...

Schizophrenia
1.Avoilation -definistion and example Andreason
2.man whitney ..test of difference..ordinal data.. and also independent group design
3. Volunteer sample open to researcher bias ..unrepresentative sample cannot generalise. Use random sampling...names in a hat and draw names to allocate condition.
3.interationist approach to explaining and treatments. Meelhs model. Modern understanding of diathesis - Read et al neurodevelopmental model. Understanding of stress - cannabis use.
Treatments - Turkington..CBT and antipsychotics
Evaluation ...
That's all I can remember for this section

Forensic.
1. Ratings anger before and after shown picture then compare results.
May refer to content analysis
2.The dumb median question
40-23=17
23-17=6
Answers people got are like 6, 7, 9, 8 ,17
3. Differential association theory- pro-criminal through interaction. Proposed by Slutherland. Refer back to stem
Evaluation..
4. Official statistics. Explain and evaluate..dark figure of crime 75%
Victim survey. Explain and evaluate ..greater insight and also problem with telescoping.

Scroll to see replies

The median question was 7
Here's what I got for relationships and aggression:

Relationships -
1. Discuss sexual selection and reproductive behaviour. Anisogamy, difference between gametes, women more selective than men etc.. Evaluation could be Clark & Hatfield and relevance in modern life.
2. Discuss social exchange theory. Thibault and Kelley, judge satisfaction in terms of profit, comparison levels, 4 stages. Evaluation mostly weaknesses, measurements are vague, assumes cost/rewards are of equal value, economic metaphor unrealistic, ignores equity.

Aggression -
Q1 & 2 are the same.
3. Explain fixed action pattern. Automatic behavioural response, triggered by innate releasing mechanism, universal, inevitably runs to completion, used in ethology. Refer to siamese fish from scenario.
4. Discuss dispositional explanation for institutional aggression. Importation model by Irwin and Cressey. Evaluation: supported Camp and Gaes, refuted by Wilson.
Reply 3
What? Surely the median question was 7?
The median answer was 7. The sample was 15, the median was 23 so one score was 23 leaving 14 scores. In order for it to be the middle number there had to be an equal number above and below so that is 14/2 = 7 so 7 is the correct answer.
Reply 5
Hey, I forgot to mention the 4 stages of social exchange theory in my essay, will I loose a lot of marks?
Original post by getschwifty
Here's what I got for relationships and aggression:

Relationships -
1. Discuss sexual selection and reproductive behaviour. Anisogamy, difference between gametes, women more selective than men etc.. Evaluation could be Clark & Hatfield and relevance in modern life.
2. Discuss social exchange theory. Thibault and Kelley, judge satisfaction in terms of profit, comparison levels, 4 stages. Evaluation mostly weaknesses, measurements are vague, assumes cost/rewards are of equal value, economic metaphor unrealistic, ignores equity.

Aggression -
Q1 & 2 are the same.
3. Explain fixed action pattern. Automatic behavioural response, triggered by innate releasing mechanism, universal, inevitably runs to completion, used in ethology. Refer to siamese fish from scenario.
4. Discuss dispositional explanation for institutional aggression. Importation model by Irwin and Cressey. Evaluation: supported Camp and Gaes, refuted by Wilson.
Dont worry i ran out of time just scribbled anything i could remember. You wouldn't loose many marks as long as you had other points in a bit of depth.:smile:
Original post by Suttk001
Hey, I forgot to mention the 4 stages of social exchange theory in my essay, will I loose a lot of marks?
Reply 7
Thank you, I wrote about everything else but I completely forgot about that!
Original post by _reena.m_
Dont worry i ran out of time just scribbled anything i could remember. You wouldn't loose many marks as long as you had other points in a bit of depth.:smile:

I doubt it! Plus, you only get a maximum 6 marks for description and there were 4 things you could've talked about. I think it's better to get in depth about rewards, costs, comparison level and give plenty of examples to show deeper understanding than just state the stages!
I forgot to write about the heritability coefficiant when i was writing about the nativist debate! Do you think I’ll lose alot of marks over it? (I’m kicking myself cause I knew it as well)
Also, I was a little confused on the forensics bit about showing participants negative photos and then taking part in an anger management programme. What could I have put?
Hi not sure if this has already been discussed, but wasn't kohlbergs stages:
Gender Identity 2-3 years
Gender Stability 3-4 years
Gender Constancy 4 - 7.5 years ?
you could have said they'd know how they answered before so would just change their answer (social desirability bias/please-u effect)
Also, I was a little confused on the forensics bit about showing participants negative photos and then taking part in an anger management programme. What could I have put?
I said using two sets of photos would have reduce order effects and so using two sets of photos would prevent boredem or demand characteristics but the photos would have to be similar to control as many variables as possible
Original post by Hannab123
you could have said they'd know how they answered before so would just change their answer (social desirability bias/please-u effect)
But surely it would be if there had to be an equal number on either side, you would use the formula n/2 with n being 15 and so the 7.5th value as the median was 23, 7.5th value is the 7th and 8th added and divided by 2, which meant that the numbers before that would be 6 participants, so the answer is 6?
Original post by lunazellers
I forgot to write about the heritability coefficiant when i was writing about the nativist debate! Do you think I’ll lose alot of marks over it? (I’m kicking myself cause I knew it as well)

I did the same :frown: might just not get as many marks. I wouldn't worry because you can't change it now so don't stress :smile:
No because n =14 as one of the scores was 23 so the remaining scores are 14.
Original post by PurpleQueenie
But surely it would be if there had to be an equal number on either side, you would use the formula n/2 with n being 15 and so the 7.5th value as the median was 23, 7.5th value is the 7th and 8th added and divided by 2, which meant that the numbers before that would be 6 participants, so the answer is 6?
I think I wrote about if they had two pairs of photos then they could easily compare results and give a valid answer, would that be okay? I think I mentioned how I’d do it as well
Original post by Rosiepointon5
I said using two sets of photos would have reduce order effects and so using two sets of photos would prevent boredem or demand characteristics but the photos would have to be similar to control as many variables as possible
Reply 18
I dont think you will lose that many Mark's considering AO1 is only 6 marks. As long as you have said enough for AO1 that can be worth 6 Marks 👍
Original post by lunazellers
Reply 19
I've always learnt it at Gender stability being 4-6 and gender constancy as 6-7+ . This is wat is written in the psychology text book that I use so I stuck to those numbers.
Original post by __MeganLouise_
Hi not sure if this has already been discussed, but wasn't kohlbergs stages:
Gender Identity 2-3 years
Gender Stability 3-4 years
Gender Constancy 4 - 7.5 years ?

Latest