The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

What do I need in third year to get a first? In second year I got 69.31%

Hello,I’m a Business and Marketing student at Coventry University. I have finished my second year and going into my third year.

Second Year Results:
20 Credit - 73.25%
20 Credit - 70.40%
20 Credit - 70%
20 Credit - 68.40%
20 Credit - 64.50%

10 Credit - 85%
10 Credit - 61.50%
(85 + 61.50)/2 = 73.25%

(73.25 + 70.40 + 70 + 68.40 + 64.50)/5 = 69.31

What do I need in third year to get a first overall? Little annoyed about the 69.31 but it’s okay haha. Thanks! My lowest grade gets dropped and only 100 credits are taken forward for classification results.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Hello,I’m a Business and Marketing student at Coventry University. I have finished my second year and going into my third year.

Second Year Results:
20 Credit - 73.25%
20 Credit - 70.40%
20 Credit - 70%
20 Credit - 68.40%
20 Credit - 64.50%

10 Credit - 85%
10 Credit - 61.50%
(85 + 61.50)/2 = 73.25%

What do I need in third year to get a first overall? Little annoyed about the 69.31 but it’s okay haha. Thanks! My lowest grade gets dropped and only 100 credits are taken forward for classification results.

Have you looked up the rules on the website for how they calculate degrees?
Does Coventry uni have a website and have you checked those rules are on it?
Last time I looked Coventry had the most generous rules I have ever seen to boost your grade and where you only had to include part of your third year, but could ignore everything else. In that case just get 69.5 in your third year and you are golden.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Have you looked up the rules on the website for how they calculate degrees?
Does Coventry uni have a website and have you checked those rules are on it?
Last time I looked Coventry had the most generous rules I have ever seen to boost your grade and where you only had to include part of your third year, but could ignore everything else. In that case just get 69.5 in your third year and you are golden.

I’ve tried to but it’s not very formative. It doesn’t need say how much second year and third year is worth 😔 .. Hence why I’m confused.

I was hoping my getting first in second year it will be easier to get a first in third year.
Reply 3
Bump
Original post by Ishax

Second Year Results:
20 Credit - 73.25%
20 Credit - 70.40%
20 Credit - 70%
20 Credit - 68.40%
20 Credit - 64.50%

10 Credit - 85%
10 Credit - 61.50%
(85 + 61.50)/2 = 73.25%

Coventry Uni has a 2 methodologies:
Average of final year: 120 credits in level 3
or
average over best 220 Credits at levels 2 + 3 (minimum 120 level 3 credits), hence average 70% in final year and you'll achieve a first.

Yes Coventry's system is extremely generous, and tbh Cov standards are so low this is very attainable.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Coventry Uni has a 2 methodologies:
Average of final year: 120 credits in level 3
or
average over best 220 Credits at levels 2 + 3 (minimum 120 level 3 credits), hence average 70% in final year and you'll achieve a first.

Yes Coventry's system is extremely generous, and tbh Cov standards are so low this is very attainable.

Ah, that’s a shame.

I was hoping by getting first in second year it would be easier to attain first in third year.

Thanks anyway!
Original post by Ishax
Ah, that’s a shame.

I was hoping by getting first in second year it would be easier to attain first in third year.

Thanks anyway!

It is, there are 2 methods for calculating your final grade at Coventry (your final mark is whatever is higher) re-read my description...

Either way this would have very little effect as your second year results do not equate to a first, why would you think achieving a 2.1 (as 69.31% is a 2.1) would improve your odds of getting a first,?

the boundary for a first is 70% (if u assume assume by rounding to the nearest percentile integer, you would still need to achieve at least 69.5%)
Reply 7
It is, there are 2 methods for calculating your final grade at Coventry (your final mark is whatever is higher) re-read my description...

Either way this would have very little effect as your second year results do not equate to a first, why would you think achieving a 2.1 (as 69.31% is a 2.1) would improve your odds of getting a first,?

the boundary for a first is 70% (if u assume assume by rounding to the nearest percentile integer, you would still need to achieve at least 69.5%)

Because in third year grades are rounded up.. Apparently from 68% they class it as a first only if you have 60 credits at first.

Seems like no point doing well in second year, if you can do well in third year and get a first overall.. Ah well! Never mind.

If I got 69.31% it would have been rounded up to a first.

Why are you commenting anonymously?
Original post by Ishax
Because in third year grades are rounded up.. Apparently from 68% they class it as a first only if you have 60 credits at first.

Seems like no point doing well in second year, if you can do well in third year and get a first overall.. Ah well! Never mind.

If I got 69.31% it would have been rounded up to a first.

Why are you commenting anonymously?

Third year grades are not rounded up (when i graduated from Coventry, i had the exact opposite on my transcript, they rounded downwards).

Well if you do well in second year, you can still benefit from this in your final grade (using the weighted method over 220 credits, as outlined in my first post, this just isn't beneficial to you anymore...).

69.31% rounds to 69% a 2.1, the Uni can award a first class to students who are close to 70% but miss ie average 70-68% if a large number of credits normally 80/120 in your final year are above 70% and your dissertation is above 70%, but this is up to the discretion of the academic panel, and equally they can also choose not to award this.

I am writing anonymously as i don't want to be associated with Coventry, but as a former student do understand the system well...
Reply 9
Third year grades are not rounded up (when i graduated from Coventry, i had the exact opposite on my transcript, they rounded downwards).

Well if you do well in second year, you can still benefit from this in your final grade (using the weighted method over 220 credits, as outlined in my first post, this just isn't beneficial to you anymore...).

69.31% rounds to 69% a 2.1, the Uni can award a first class to students who are close to 70% but miss ie average 70-68% if a large number of credits normally 80/120 in your final year are above 70% and your dissertation is above 70%, but this is up to the discretion of the academic panel, and equally they can also choose not to award this.

I am writing anonymously as i don't want to be associated with Coventry, but as a former student do understand the system well...

That doesn’t make sense, why would they round down?

69.31% to 69? Surely they’d round up because there would be no point rounding down in the first place? Just seems a waste of time lol

Obviously if you get 1 first and 5 2:1 then that’s a 2:1. That’s what I said, depends on certain amount of credits but apparently Coventry have a generous grading system.

Depends on dissertation aswell..

Thanks anyway I suppose.
Using the top 5 100 credits, the policy is to round down before calculations so you would be working with 73, not 73.25, the total year average is 69.2 which is a 2.1, but the board can discretionally award a 1st which they won't as it is not your final year. However, to get the first overall, you would require a 70.4 to get you to a 69.9 which is usually awarded as a first. 53.7 should get you to a 2.1. This is working on a 40:60 ratio.
Original post by Ishax

Second Year Results:
20 Credit - 73.25%
20 Credit - 70.40%
20 Credit - 70%
20 Credit - 68.40%
20 Credit - 64.50%

10 Credit - 85%
10 Credit - 61.50%
(85 + 61.50)/2 = 73.25%

Reply 11
Original post by arira1523
Using the top 5 100 credits, the policy is to round down before calculations so you would be working with 73, not 73.25, the total year average is 69.2 which is a 2.1, but the board can discretionally award a 1st which they won't as it is not your final year. However, to get the first overall, you would require a 70.4 to get you to a 69.9 which is usually awarded as a first. 53.7 should get you to a 2.1. This is working on a 40:60 ratio.

Oh right, thank you!

Apparently Coventry round up from 67/68%, depending on if you have 60 credits. I guess I’ll find out next year!

Only need 2:2 to get a 2:1 so that seems good.

I would have got 4 firsts, but my group work bought the grade down. Hate group work so much!

It just seems strange to round down and not up! Ah well, thanks anyway!
Reply 12
Hey there,

You probably have your answers by now but I thought that I should add something.

From what I know and read from my course's student handbook, the university reserve the right to bump up your degree classification if you are within a small gap % from upper 2nd class to 1st class honour. (Can't remember what the % was, i think it was like 0.2%? Don't quote me on that though, make an appointment with your personal tutor and enquire about it).

Also, strangely enough, my course degree classification for a first is actually 69.5%. I think it varies from course to course?

Anyway, just do your best and get first for everything in your final year. Lesser things to worry about if you do that.

All the best!
Reply 13
Original post by Lyulf
Hey there,

You probably have your answers by now but I thought that I should add something.

From what I know and read from my course's student handbook, the university reserve the right to bump up your degree classification if you are within a small gap % from upper 2nd class to 1st class honour. (Can't remember what the % was, i think it was like 0.2%? Don't quote me on that though, make an appointment with your personal tutor and enquire about it).

Also, strangely enough, my course degree classification for a first is actually 69.5%. I think it varies from course to course?

Anyway, just do your best and get first for everything in your final year. Lesser things to worry about if you do that.

All the best!

Hello,

Thank you, I was just trying to find out how much my second year is worth and what I need for a first in final year!

I am aiming for first, thankfully everything is individual so group work can't bring me down. I got first in coursework component, but group work bought me down and I got 68.40% :frown: never mind.

I think it all varies and it's situational based because nothing is mentioned in course programme specification and I've been receiving mixed information..

Say if you get more than half credit firsts then you're awarded a first I think, but say if you get 1/2 first and 4 2:1 then obviously that is a 2:1.

I'm just glad no group work in final year, I only have myself to depend on and I'm ready to work hard! :smile:
Original post by Ishax
Hello,

Thank you, I was just trying to find out how much my second year is worth and what I need for a first in final year!

I am aiming for first, thankfully everything is individual so group work can't bring me down. I got first in coursework component, but group work bought me down and I got 68.40% :frown: never mind.

I think it all varies and it's situational based because nothing is mentioned in course programme specification and I've been receiving mixed information..

Say if you get more than half credit firsts then you're awarded a first I think, but say if you get 1/2 first and 4 2:1 then obviously that is a 2:1.

I'm just glad no group work in final year, I only have myself to depend on and I'm ready to work hard! :smile:

Every undergraduate course is the same (apart from integrated masters or level 4 undergraduate degrees), all grading information is provided in the undergraduate handbook available on the portal
Reply 15
Every undergraduate course is the same (apart from integrated masters or level 4 undergraduate degrees), all grading information is provided in the undergraduate handbook available on the portal

I’ve looked there, it’s not super helpful.
Original post by Ishax
I’ve looked there, it’s not super helpful.

No, its an awful 200 page booklet but it is in there, i went to my faculty representative for student experience to clarify my understanding & mentioned the poor detail. I think its should be made clear to students at the start of every year how your grade is calculated, but Coventry dont care...
Reply 17
No, its an awful 200 page booklet but it is in there, i went to my faculty representative for student experience to clarify my understanding & mentioned the poor detail. I think its should be made clear to students at the start of every year how your grade is calculated, but Coventry dont care...

I agree, it is totally awful. They do not explain what grade you are working on, what you need to get 1st/2:1 and so many group work! My average was bought down due to stupid group work :frown:

I even had to calculate my own grade average for second year, I got my results on solar but they don't tell me what grade I am on? Just "pass".

I could email but they say "Mark averages are not provided as the calculation of the final module mark will depend on a number of factors, including the weighting of individual components. To provide an average would therefore be misleading and give an inaccurate indication of a final mark in many cases." Like ?? Useless if you ask me!

It's a confusing system in itself, but honestly can't wait to graduate and be done with the uni. So super glad third year is all individual so group work can't bring my grade down.
Reply 18
The reason I was asking and made this post is because I read some other people posts and they say "second year counts and if you do badly in second year then you can't graduate with a 2:1 and 1st" etc. Hence, why I was asking what do I need to achieve in final year to get 1st.. But from the looks of the replies it's 70% and my second year didn't help me as much as I thought it would initially. But never mind, still happy with the grades I got.. No 2:2 etc's and resits.

Just going to knuckle down, work hard and aim for first in final year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending