The Student Room Group

Which BTEC shall I study?

I just searched distinctions on BTEC's as I know nothing about them.

I've not studied past secondary school and I have been out since 2014. I went back last September and was studying whatever was available without needing any special references because my grades were not high enough and they were Literature, History and Psychology. That was wrong as I only really liked Psychology but within the first two weeks I felt different and became unwell again and missed many days and the school said that it would be wrong to force me to come into school. A lot more detail can be said if you want.

My friends were telling me that it would be better if I just studied a BTEC course but I don't know what to do at all for so long. Some universities like Edge Hill and Keele I have searched accept just BTEC extended diplomas without combining A levels and that sounds nice because Keele is massive and it's just so nice with all the trees surrounding it. I also emailed Keele and they confirmed that too.

I've emailed many universities such as Edge Hill and Loughborough and Edinburgh and Cambridge and Exeter etc. And I even went towards Agriculture and all land based studies because everything is so blurry.

Which University would be best that take BTEC's on its own?

I've always loved the sciences and maths and especially Literature but I won't be able to do Literature studying a BTEC and it's been forever since I've done any work on the sciences.

What would be the best BTEC to pick in terms of most worthwhile and maybe a lot of options just open to pick a degree course from and it could be random too.

It's June and I haven't applied anywhere to do a level 3 course because it's been 5 years now since school and I really don't know what to pick. I guess I could do something and then pick something completely different at university if they allow it?

Any help is appreciated. Any help at all. It's so hard to pick. Just a way is needed and do you think it would be better if I went to a university that also did level 3 qualifications such as Nottingham Trent?
Original post by necessaryevil41

I've not studied past secondary school and I have been out since 2014. I went back last September and was studying whatever was available without needing any special references because my grades were not high enough and they were Literature, History and Psychology. That was wrong as I only really liked Psychology but within the first two weeks I felt different and became unwell again and missed many days and the school said that it would be wrong to force me to come into school. A lot more detail can be said if you want.

My friends were telling me that it would be better if I just studied a BTEC course but I don't know what to do at all for so long. Some universities like Edge Hill and Keele I have searched accept just BTEC extended diplomas without combining A levels and that sounds nice because Keele is massive and it's just so nice with all the trees surrounding it. I also emailed Keele and they confirmed that too.

I've emailed many universities such as Edge Hill and Loughborough and Edinburgh and Cambridge and Exeter etc. And I even went towards Agriculture and all land based studies because everything is so blurry.

I've always loved the sciences and maths and especially Literature but I won't be able to do Literature studying a BTEC and it's been forever since I've done any work on the sciences.

What would be the best BTEC to pick in terms of most worthwhile and maybe a lot of options just open to pick a degree course from and it could be random too.

It's June and I haven't applied anywhere to do a level 3 course because it's been 5 years now since school and I really don't know what to pick. I guess I could do something and then pick something completely different at university if they allow it?

Any help is appreciated. Any help at all. It's so hard to pick. Just a way is needed and do you think it would be better if I went to a university that also did level 3 qualifications such as Nottingham Trent?

An access course could be more appropriate for you, sounds like a joint degree or a liberal arts degree would be a way to fit your interests.
I think you need to take a step back. Forget btecs/level 3 qualifications for now. Get prospectuses, go to university open days, talk to a careers advisor and work out what you want to do long term.

When you have a clearer idea of what you want your destination to be then you can plan out a route of how to get there (an access to he diploma would probably be a better option).
Thank you for messaging but what access course would I want to take though? I don't think I mind taking two years of studying to get into university as I would want to be doing something you know as I have pretty much somehow remained at home for 5 years now. Are joint degree like some I've seen that are called 'Computer Science with Mathematics?'
Original post by claireestelle
An access course could be more appropriate for you, sounds like a joint degree or a liberal arts degree would be a way to fit your interests.
Thank you for messaging but what access course would I want to take though? I don't think I mind taking two years of studying to get into university as I would want to be doing something you know as I have pretty much somehow remained at home for 5 years now. Are joint degree like some I've seen that are called 'Computer Science with Mathematics?'

As pq says figure out a degree you want to do then do the appropriate access course, yes thats an example of a joint degree.
Thank you for messaging. I've been told about access courses but I wouldn't know what to pick. I've spoken to careers advisors and I have my principal from my secondary school in contact with me too but I just don't know what to pick. I wouldn't mind taking a 2 year course if that is better as I am in no hurry to get into university. I would just like to be doing something after being out for so long. I would like to be in the surroundings of a university though as soon as I can to just experience it
Original post by PQ
I think you need to take a step back. Forget btecs/level 3 qualifications for now. Get prospectuses, go to university open days, talk to a careers advisor and work out what you want to do long term.

When you have a clearer idea of what you want your destination to be then you can plan out a route of how to get there (an access to he diploma would probably be a better option).
Are there access courses for all types of degrees? I think at the college I was directed to, City of Westminster, has only one in Business and one in Science. Would I be able to study something completely different for a degree at a university with an access course?
Original post by claireestelle
As pq says figure out a degree you want to do then do the appropriate access course, yes thats an example of a joint degree.
Are there access courses for all types of degrees? I think at the college I was directed to, City of Westminster, has only one in Business and one in Science. Would I be able to study something completely different for a degree at a university with an access course?

Yes but you couldn't do a completely different degree with it.
Thank you for messaging. I've been told about access courses but I wouldn't know what to pick. I've spoken to careers advisors and I have my principal from my secondary school in contact with me too but I just don't know what to pick. I wouldn't mind taking a 2 year course if that is better as I am in no hurry to get into university. I would just like to be doing something after being out for so long. I would like to be in the surroundings of a university though as soon as I can to just experience it

It’s important to do your research now to figure out what you want to study longer term. It’s better to spend a year researching, studying moocs online, visiting universities and colleges (and working to save some money) and then take the right access diploma for the degree you want rather than rushing into a btec extended diploma and finding out after a year that it wasn’t the right choice.

Hi,
Pretty much every uni will take someone with an extended diploma btec. It’s a 2 year course that’s essentially the equivalent of 3 a levels. I’ve just finished mine in business and came out with d*d*d* after a really bad set of as results (a,b,c,u) due to other circumstances. I got offers from all of my unis to study management including Loughborough (my firm) and two Russell groups (Brum and Liverpool). On the course page, it should have the entry requirements for an extended diploma. Some only take them with a combined a level but this was quite rare when I was looking at courses. 😊
You could perhaps look at doing a hnc/hnd which is essentially the first two years of uni set out in a similar format to the btec where they are predominately coursework based. If you want to then go for the full degree, you just simply do a top up year which is your final year. Quite a few unis local to me do these like staffs and derby, local colleges tend to offer these. You may have to do a short course to get onto it but I reckon if you’re wanting to study in a more uni based environment that would be the way to go 😁
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey Gemma : ) - thank you so much for messaging. I've just talked to someone else from another university through unibuddy and she made me feel so much better about taking a BTEC course. And she studies at Lancaster. I guess I'll be picking a BTEC but it's which one really now. What's business like? She got D*D*D* and said it was quite relaxed and not difficult at all as long as you manage the time and keep the criteria in mind. I really love Loughborough after searching for so many universities. It just looks so beautiful. You have so many offers but it must be your firm, Loguhborough right? :smile: What does management include roughly? And thank you Gemma :smile: I didn't think anyone else would message on here. It really helps to hear others that have done a BTEC and will get to go somewhere as wonderful as Loughborough :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by gemmastewart
Hi,
Pretty much every uni will take someone with an extended diploma btec. It’s a 2 year course that’s essentially the equivalent of 3 a levels. I’ve just finished mine in business and came out with d*d*d* after a really bad set of as results (a,b,c,u) due to other circumstances. I got offers from all of my unis to study management including Loughborough (my firm) and two Russell groups (Brum and Liverpool). On the course page, it should have the entry requirements for an extended diploma. Some only take them with a combined a level but this was quite rare when I was looking at courses. 😊
You could perhaps look at doing a hnc/hnd which is essentially the first two years of uni set out in a similar format to the btec where they are predominately coursework based. If you want to then go for the full degree, you just simply do a top up year which is your final year. Quite a few unis local to me do these like staffs and derby, local colleges tend to offer these. You may have to do a short course to get onto it but I reckon if you’re wanting to study in a more uni based environment that would be the way to go 😁
That’s essentially the case with the btec, it’s all about managing your time appropriately. Although sometimes we would have no assignment for a month then suddenly get 4 in a week 😅 In my opinion, business is a great course, there’s lots of different modules (some that I’ve done include retailing, visual merchandising, accounting, hr and starting a small business). Probably 80% of the coursework is essay or presentation based but some include writing your own business plan and pitching it to an external panel or producing a visual merchandising display. If you’re looking to go into anything business related I would definitely recommend it. I would say it’s probably the best first step if you’ve been out of education for a while, if you enjoy a specific module then you could look at studying that further. There’s so many different courses out there, i would definitely look at going to an open day at your local college to look around in case you see another that catches your attention. My friends did courses like photography, video game design and carpentry.
Loughborough has an amazing business school but their courses are heavily exam based, so I would say to look at the module specifications if you were looking for something more coursework based, de montfort in Leicester is a lovely uni that does mainly coursework 😊
In terms of management, there’s a number of management courses with the main two being management sciences and retailing marketing and management (my course, but this changes to just marketing and management next year).
It is possible to get into some amazing unis with a btec, places that people on my course are off to this year are like, uni of Manchester, uni of Leeds and uni of Bristol to study everything from maths to hr!
Good luck on what you decide to do 😊
Hey Gemma : ) - thank you so much for messaging. I've just talked to someone else from another university through unibuddy and she made me feel so much better about taking a BTEC course. And she studies at Lancaster. I guess I'll be picking a BTEC but it's which one really now. What's business like? She got D*D*D* and said it was quite relaxed and not difficult at all as long as you manage the time and keep the criteria in mind. I really love Loughborough after searching for so many universities. It just looks so beautiful. You have so many offers but it must be your firm, Loguhborough right? :smile: What does management include roughly? And thank you Gemma :smile: I didn't think anyone else would message on here. It really helps to hear others that have done a BTEC and will get to go somewhere as wonderful as Loughborough :smile: :smile: :smile:

Are you sure that you’re ready to commit to studying business for 5 years?

Quick Reply

Latest