The Student Room Group

What other language would you most like to learn?

As the title says really, what other language would you most like to learn?
And why?

Scroll to see replies

French to pass my GCSE's, I know nothing and I have my GCSE's in 2020
Yoruba as I'm a receptive bilingual in it due to my family.
I do spanish and French in school/ college which are probably the ones I would do if I didn’t in school, I’ve also done welsh because you have to in Wales but I would have liked to be fluent in it :smile: other than that something like German Greek or Swedish
Id like to learn spanish because its the most common languages in the world.
I wouldnt mind learning welsh either.
Original post by Charlyleeds
I do spanish and French in school/ college which are probably the ones I would do if I didn’t in school, I’ve also done welsh because you have to in Wales but I would have liked to be fluent in it :smile: other than that something like German Greek or Swedish

Id like to learn welsh.
Is it hard?
Original post by Emma:-)
Id like to learn welsh.
Is it hard?

Well I have been learning it since primary and now I’m 16 and I know more in French and spanish than in welsh probably but I think it’s just the way it’s taught, my teacher was not fab and there probably aren’t a lot of resources to learn it + lots or rules and mutations so it definitely isn’t the easiest :frown:
Original post by mpaprika
year 11?

yep just finished :smile:
awh you're so lucky! I have 2 more :frown: What a levels are you doing?

Chemistry, biology, French and spanish I know it’s gonna be hard but we’ll see what happens good luck with GCSEs :smile:
Reply 8
German
I did Spanish for GCSE (I'm in Y11) so I'm gonna carry on learning that. Also, I've been trying to learn Japanese since I was 12/13 because I love the culture. I've got a huge summer after I finish my last exam on Tuesday, so I'll probably dedicate a lot of time to languages.
oh wow two languages! Thinking of doing a languages degree? I'm still torn between a stem and languages degree

I’m hoping zoology/marine biology possibly with a language but if not then maybe :smile: I want to travel do you have 2 years left or 2 GCSEs left?
I’d love to learn spanish and italian because honestly the languages are just beautiful. Saying them fluently would be a dream :smile:
i would love to learn how to speak spanish
2 gcses left haha - German and additional maths, that degree sounds really interesting!! Spanish will definitely be useful for zoology/marine biology

good luck with them what alevels are you doing ?:smile:
thank you!! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and German :smile:

oh wow those seem pretty difficult but I’m sure you’ll do great, is German fun?
Original post by runawaytrolley
I did Spanish for GCSE (I'm in Y11) so I'm gonna carry on learning that. Also, I've been trying to learn Japanese since I was 12/13 because I love the culture. I've got a huge summer after I finish my last exam on Tuesday, so I'll probably dedicate a lot of time to languages.

How are you teaching yourself Japanese please?
Original post by Hiro2468
How are you teaching yourself Japanese please?

It's quite a challenge, I'm learning kanji with a website (wanikani - I have to pay for subscription though), and I try to watch lots of Japanese lessons on youtube. I take notes, which makes all the difference, otherwise it goes straight out my head.
sign language
I currently learning Arabic, and then I hope to move onto Spanish or French.

Started with Arabic about 2 weeks ago but ive been trying to practice nearly everyday. Been so far learning the alphabet including how to write the letters (isolated atm) and the pronunciations
French -
Unfortunately, i wasn't given the chance to study languages for my GCSEs and despite french not being a completely universal language (i.e Spanish, English, Chinese)
I'd still love to learn it.

Quick Reply

Latest