The Student Room Group

I will never pass my literacy and numeracy skill test

Dear all,
I'm Italian and I'm a teaching assistant who wants to become a teacher but unfortunately I don't think is going to happen.
I keep failing my literacy and numeracy test. I'm so demotivated and frustrated! I actually thinking to change career path.
I did my literacy twice now and I didn't pass by 2 marks. Last week I did my numeracy and again, I didn't pass by 4 marks. I also had a Maths tutor but nothing. It seems that my mind can't get there and it is frustrating because I failed by very small marks... What do you think I should do?...
My deadline is 8th of October.
My next test will be on the 29th of September and 4th of October.
If I don't pass them I need to re apply next year. I really want to pass them! Please help me with some advices :frown:
Reply 1
If one of your future students came to you with this, what would you say?
Original post by margherita.smith
Dear all,
I'm Italian and I'm a teaching assistant who wants to become a teacher but unfortunately I don't think is going to happen.
I keep failing my literacy and numeracy test. I'm so demotivated and frustrated! I actually thinking to change career path.
I did my literacy twice now and I didn't pass by 2 marks. Last week I did my numeracy and again, I didn't pass by 4 marks. I also had a Maths tutor but nothing. It seems that my mind can't get there and it is frustrating because I failed by very small marks... What do you think I should do?...
If I don't pass them I need to re apply next year. I really want to pass them! Please help me with some advices :frown:

If you are only failing by a few marks, you can pass.

For the literacy, it may help to find a list of the words and learn some spellings by rote. Which sections are you losing marks on?

For the maths, is it the mental maths or written maths you are struggling with?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you are only failing by a few marks, you can pass.

For the literacy, it may help to find a list of the words and learn some spellings by rote. Which sections are you losing marks on?

For the maths, is it the mental maths or written maths you are struggling with?

Hi!
I did my literacy twice now. First time I didn't pass by 4 marks and it was about spelling mistakes. The second time it was 1 mark for puntuaction and 1 mark for comprehension. I always struggled with numeracy to be honest.
Last time I didn't pass by 4 marks and it was about all three modules :frown:
Hi!
I did my literacy twice now. First time I didn't pass by 4 marks and it was about spelling mistakes. The second time it was 1 mark for puntuaction and 1 mark for comprehension. I always struggled with numeracy to be honest.
Last time I didn't pass by 4 marks and it was about all three modules :frown:

It sounds like you are getting closer to passing on the literacy, so keep trying!

With the maths, the more you practice, the quicker you will be. Is understanding the questions also an issue? I think you may be able to apply for extra time if English is not your first language.
Reply 5
Dear all,

Don't give up I keep failing the numearcy test I m going to try pass, it before this year ends it will be my 7 th attempt when I take it again. Take it easy it may be the pressure because I was in the same boat as you now have to wait next year. Keep trying.
Hi, don’t know if this may help but try using “Numeracy Ready” it costs £20 but you have 20 mock tests along with teaching the specific topics.
How did you get on?
Reply 8
everything's possible just keep trying
Where are you getting the results to know, where your failing? Daughter keeps missing out on Literacy. But doesn't know where she's going wrong. :frown:
Original post by Feduptotally
Where are you getting the results to know, where your failing? Daughter keeps missing out on Literacy. But doesn't know where she's going wrong. :frown:

I don't think you get itemized notes of which questions you got wrong in the real tests (you can in practice and that should give you information where to focus your effort).
I know, but others on hear seem to know, after taking the test ?
Original post by Sceptical_John
I don't think you get itemized notes of which questions you got wrong in the real tests (you can in practice and that should give you information where to focus your effort).
you can pass, just keep trying and working hard! look for revision materials and practise tests online and maybe try a new tutor!
Reply 13
Keep going! Don’t give up, it may be frustrating but you’ll get there eventually. Everyone has their weaknesses but you can’t let that stop you from getting your dream job. Try apps to help with spelling/grammar. There are lots of maths apps to help improve with that too. Just don’t give up and good luck! :smile:
Original post by Feduptotally

It’s on the results sheet they give you that states if you passed or failed. If you fail it will tell you the area/section you lost the most marks on for example spelling or comprehension.
It's all ok now as Passed. Still think it's a government money grabbing trick. Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending