The Student Room Group

Copa america 2019

Hi guys,

I couldn't see another thread for the CA2019.

Should be a good one. Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay are the favourites for me.

Brazil got off to a great start yesterday but it was 0-0 at HT.
Coutinho got a couple and that will bump up his price, if he is to leave the Camp Nou this season.

I will try and watch the Argentina Colombia game tonight. KO at 11pm.CA2019.jpg
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, the time zones make it difficult to catch the games live.

Agreed, absolute snooze fest. Very little quality in the first half in particular. Both team struggling to keep hold of the ball for longer than a 4 passes. Argentina completely lacked shape and a midfield and Di Maria was awful. Colombia were pretty solid in defence and had two quality plays to get the goals.

Argentina look really poor but Messi papers over the cracks. The group contains Qatar (I know WTF?!) and Paraguay so they should get through barring a total disaster as 2 of the 3 best 3rd place teams will make it through.
Awful game last night.

Argentina show absolutely no improvement in years. A mystery given the players they have.
Reply 3
Exhibit A

Arg Midfield.png
Maybe Messi's last chance to win a tournament with Argentina. His problem: Argentina has good individual players , but not a good team.
Reply 5
Original post by Kallisto
Maybe Messi's last chance to win a tournament with Argentina. His problem: Argentina has good individual players , but not a good team.

Agreed, see Exhibit A above. They have so many flaws. 4 finals for Messi, including 3 in a row. He will feel aggrieved at the missed chances in the previous finals.
Reply 6
Uruguay v Ecuador on now. Should be a good game, Suarez has come back from a knee op so it will be interesting to if he hits the ground running as he seems the kind of player who needs a few games to getting up to speed. Gimenez and Godin should be comfortable.
Reply 7
Brazil 0-0 Venezuela. 3 "goals" all ruled out by VAR!

Venezuela have "conceded" 5 goals all ruled out by VAR.

Chile got off to a win as defending champions, first goal for Alexis since Jan.
Original post by Icecream1
Brazil 0-0 Venezuela. 3 "goals" all ruled out by VAR!

Venezuela have "conceded" 5 goals all ruled out by VAR.

Chile got off to a win as defending champions, first goal for Alexis since Jan.

VAR in general is a controversial thing since it came up in football. I don't think that it changed for better, it is rather the other way round.
Reply 9
VAR in general is a controversial thing since it came up in football. I don't think that it changed for better, it is rather the other way round.

I know what you mean but VAR isn't a magic bullet, that takes in the footage and spits out an answer. All it is, is a chance for the officials to see the incident again and from different angles.
Reply 10
Argentina are a total mess. The 1-1 result with Paraguay, could make it very difficult.
They will have to beat Qatar and hope to be a best placed 3rd place team to get through.
100%, I expected much better from Argentina.
Argentina are a total mess. The 1-1 result with Paraguay, could make it very difficult.
They will have to beat Qatar and hope to be a best placed 3rd place team to get through.
Reply 12
Brazil 3-0 up at HT, going to finish top of their group. Looking in good shape going into the KO rounds
Original post by t.r.a.c.e
100%, I expected much better from Argentina.

I personally didn't, as Argentina is not a good team in the sense of playing for each other and have a plan on the pitch. Great individual players both on the pitch and the substitutes bench, but no team spirit and that's for years.

Brazil 3-0 up at HT, going to finish top of their group. Looking in good shape going into the KO rounds

5-0 as final result, Brazil is the top favorite after this match.
Reply 14
I personally didn't, as Argentina is not a good team in the sense of playing for each other and have a plan on the pitch. Great individual players both on the pitch and the substitutes bench, but no team spirit and that's for years.

5-0 as final result, Brazil is the top favorite after this match.

Yeah, I agree. Argentina from the FA to first team are a complete mess. Unfortunately, people see the names of the team sheet but don't actually watch the games and see how truly awful they are. They lack cohesion. If they don't beat Qatar then they are eliminated and if you fail to beat Qatar you deserve the embarrassment that goes with it.

Brazil are the favourites, a home tournament and a great team. They are going to be the team to beat. Dani Alves is still going strong, what an athlete and baller.
Guys in my opinion Argentina's problem is the coaches they hire.
Such a mess, even their performance in this copa is worse than last year at the world cup. I feel like the manager is selecting the starting 11 and nothing more. There are no any tactics or an idea they are just passing to messi. Honestly messi doesnt deserve this
although i have a feeling that Argentina will win qatar and the Copa. I just have a feeling , lets see!
Yeah, I agree. Argentina from the FA to first team are a complete mess. Unfortunately, people see the names of the team sheet but don't actually watch the games and see how truly awful they are. They lack cohesion. If they don't beat Qatar then they are eliminated and if you fail to beat Qatar you deserve the embarrassment that goes with it.

Brazil are the favourites, a home tournament and a great team. They are going to be the team to beat. Dani Alves is still going strong, what an athlete and baller.

The managers are the main problem in my view. The whole play of Argentina depends on Messi, as it is constructed about this special player. Thus the entire team is so predictable for the opponents: eliminate Messi and Argentina is disturbed in playing forward. One man cannot win a tournament anylonger, as Maradona did it in 1986. It is not a team for years. But the managers didn't relize and still think he alone can do miracles. That is wrong, just wrong! even Barcelona would not be the best team in Spain, if everything is just around and works with him.

Brazil is the best team at the moment in South America, Uruguay the second best.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
The scoreline greatly flattered Argentina. Some diabolical finishing, Messi included with that balloon shot over the bar. That was the first time i have seen Qatar play and was pleasantly surprised, they are not too bad but can't finish. Dybala wasn't so bad off the bench.

Colombia top the group with a perfect 9/9 yet have to face Uruguay or Chile!
Argentina are through to face Venezuela in the Maracana. Venezuela humiliated them last time, so need to up their game now.
Reply 19
Original post by Adam1997777
Guys in my opinion Argentina's problem is the coaches they hire.
Such a mess, even their performance in this copa is worse than last year at the world cup. I feel like the manager is selecting the starting 11 and nothing more. There are no any tactics or an idea they are just passing to messi. Honestly messi doesnt deserve this

They have probably had one decent manager in the past 5, Sabella was good and Maradona was garbage. Fantastic player awful manager. You would have thought that he would have understood better than most at how an exceptional player needs a team building around him.
Messi could've picked to play for Spain....
Original post by Adam1997777
although i have a feeling that Argentina will win qatar and the Copa. I just have a feeling , lets see!

Very wishful thinking ....
The managers are the main problem in my view. The whole play of Argentina depends on Messi, as it is constructed about this special player. Thus the entire team is so predictable for the opponents: eliminate Messi and Argentina is disturbed in playing forward. One man cannot win a tournament anylonger, as Maradona did it in 1986. It is not a team for years. But the managers didn't relize and still think he alone can do miracles. That is wrong, just wrong! even Barcelona would not be the best team in Spain, if everything is just around and works with him.

Brazil is the best team at the moment in South America, Uruguay the second best.

See above Re: managers.

I agree that you need a team around a top player. Even Maradona, in '86 had Brown, Valdano and Burruchuga score in the final.
Brazil are a top team and are on home soil so have to be favourites. Uruguay are a dangerous side and Colombia are decent too.

Quick Reply

Latest