The Student Room Group

2019 Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Hello, I’m thinking of doing the Chemistry Challenge this year and was hoping for some tips and guidance of those who have previously completed the challenge. What topics should I go over, and should I go over some Y13 organic topics even though it’s for Y12 (and I’m in Y12 too)? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you 😊

Scroll to see replies

Bump 😁
Reply 2
There isn't really much in common between the previous papers to predict what will come up this year.
What strategies should I adopt in regards to answering the questions? Thank you 😊
Cambridge Chemistry challenge is more about your Chemistry problem solving skills rather than rote learning stuff before the challenge. Don't see it as an exam and see it as something you can have fun practicing some difficult problems for etc!
My recommendations would be doing some of the past questions and discussing them with your teacher or posting them on to here.
If you want to prepare by looking at something/revising something, it is slightly beyond A-level but a great resource for organic, especially if you are also considering Chemistry beyond school at a top university: check out https://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/organic-1/#genchem

Good luck!
Original post by Turtlebunny
Cambridge Chemistry challenge is more about your Chemistry problem solving skills rather than rote learning stuff before the challenge. Don't see it as an exam and see it as something you can have fun practicing some difficult problems for etc!
My recommendations would be doing some of the past questions and discussing them with your teacher or posting them on to here.
If you want to prepare by looking at something/revising something, it is slightly beyond A-level but a great resource for organic, especially if you are also considering Chemistry beyond school at a top university: check out https://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/organic-1/#genchem

Good luck!

Thank you for your help, and thanks for the website! Will definitely take a good look at it. I tried to create an account on the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge website, but the email link is not sending and you need an account to look at the question bank. Any ideas why?
Hey, I haven’t done the challenge yet, I’m doing it on Wednesday. I’ve just been looking through the past papers and practising them, as well as noting down my areas I need to work on before the challenge. How’s your preparation going? We can help each other if you like?
Would you say it was at a similar level of difficulty as the prior years (2016, 2017 etc) and do you think it was more organic than physical or split evenly?
I’ll update once I’ve done it, fingers crossed it goes okay...I really don’t like organic 😤
Reply 9
Any tips for preparation? I have the paper on Friday and I really want to do well.
I’m just going through past papers and identifying my weakest topics or areas I trip up on.
Deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
How did people find the questions
(edited 4 years ago)
Anybody who’s already done the challenge as well , dm me privately to compare answers with each other I’m curious to how well I did now
Probably gonna be a bit too much to ask for, but did it follow the trend of majority new content as opposed to previous years? Doing it on Wednesday and hoping to get gold/be the first Rg of my college, good luck everyone.
Reply 15
For those who have done the challenge, please DM me. I just did mine yesterday and aiming for an Rg, really wanna compare some answers cuz not sure for some qs especially for the last couple. (By the way found this year’s is slightly more challenging than the last year’s.)
Original post by Silviru
For those who have done the challenge, please DM me. I just did mine yesterday and aiming for an Rg, really wanna compare some answers cuz not sure for some qs especially for the last couple. (By the way found this year’s is slightly more challenging than the last year’s.)

Do you think the boundaries will go down? I reckon I MAY have got high 40s
Reply 17
Original post by thekidwhogames
Do you think the boundaries will go down? I reckon I MAY have got high 40s

Don't think boundaries will go down but hope so..
That means you score a Au/Rg, well done!
Original post by Silviru
Don't think boundaries will go down but hope so..
That means you score a Au/Rg, well done!

Thanks but idk man I hope
Hey for everyone who feels they got high marks, what kind of preparation did you do? I’ve got mine tommorow and would appreciate some last minute tips!

Quick Reply

Latest