The Student Room Group

Boris Johnson

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fallen_acorns
I still don't see your point? Your replying to me as if I denied he was racist?

You can be a white racist and get promoted to PM. Interesting. Politics gone mad. And what on earth is Chuka Umuna MP up too now? The country should never trust politicians.
Reply 21
You should try actually listening to them. I agree that both of them have said offensive things in the past, but if that's the majority of what your hearing, it would suggest to me that your not actually listening to them speak, or reading what they write.. but rather your just reading the quotes from them in various left-leaning outlets and on social media.

Its very easy to get the impression, when your getting your information second hand that all these people say is hate, because the only things that they get quoted saying are the hateful things.. in reality the hate is the minority for both of their political careers, and its a tiny part of their platform. I mean, recently I watched trumps interview on good morning britian.. 40 minutes long.. no hate as far as I could hear? Does that mean he never says hateful things, of course not.. but if all your hearing is hate, then you need to either listen more, or get your ears checked.

As for intelligence. To actually believe both are stupid, is a huge sign of bias. Its usually best to presume those you disagree with but are objectively successful are so out of capability, rather than luck.

For trump, he is clearly not academically gifted at all.. but he has the type of intelligence that a used-car-salesman has. Its not your traditional definition of intelligence, but it certainly is an ability that not everyone poseses.. being able to talk your way out of situations and around people, getting people to do what you want and follow you etc. Put an oxford grad in an american car-dealership and all the knowledge in the world won't help them, there is a cognative ability there, which trump-type people posses. I would argue its a form of intelligence (I would also argue that its not the form of intelligence we want in the american president...)

For boris, he clearly is very clever. Listen to him lecture on greek/roman history, or read his writing.. he is a very academically able and intelligent individual, but one who has built a career out of playing the bumbling buffoon. The reason for this is because if you are a tory, there are only two dirrections you can go to get yourself elected. Either you play the every-man tory like cameron and may.. just a regular person, sticking up for normal families etc. Or you play the bumbling rich buffoon like Mogg and Borris.. the alternative is that they actually show what they really are - which is so selfish and greedy that it will never get them elected. So they hide their true nature by either of the two main methods. If Boris presented himself as articulate, posh, well educated, rich etc. he would be despised by most of the voter base.. but if he cultivates an image of a loveable bumbling, cuddly tory, who says funny things and dresses a bit odd.. then a lot of the public who don't follow politics closely, will be tricked into overlooking his real intentions and ability.

But just looking at both of the mens histories shows clearly that they are both more successful then the vast vast majority of men alive, even accounting for their wealth/privileged upbringing. On the balance of things, to presume that its not down to competance, but rather luck or malicious forces beyond their control, is just naieve.

Dude, at this point I’m biased. I have long decided I don’t like either of them, based on listening to speeches they had then later the truth came out and they had either out right lied or misrepresented a topic.
And I said ‘appears’ unintelligent, not that I thought they were. Obviously children raised in money get good educations, despite how idiotic they chose to portray themselves. Which is a weird tactic,
“how do I get the job of ruling the country?”
“I dunno... act stupid?”
really not a fan of Boris dodging the first debate.

Did he not learn the lesson from May? It doesn't make you look like a better leader, or authoratitive at all. There is no excuse for a leader or potential leader dodging the debate.

Its cowardice and nothing more. To scared of making a big mistake, that they would rather take the small loss of reputation incured by not showing up, then risk a bigger mistake. Pathetic.
What Eton thought about Boris.

Eton.jpg
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What Eton thought about Boris.

Eton.jpg

clearly the prospect of Boris is terrifying you. the failure of Mrs May is not ushering in the era of the dismal vindictive Corbyn but of the proud talented patriot BJ.
resorting to his school reports smacks of desperation

:h:
No however he's the most likely one to get the job so there's nothing we can do except getting the popcorn ready and watching this country fall
Reply 26
It makes him look authoritative without the author_ive

Its cowardice and nothing more. To scared of making a big mistake, that they would rather take the small loss of reputation incured by not showing up, then risk a bigger mistake. Pathetic.
Original post by the bear
clearly the prospect of Boris is terrifying you. the failure of Mrs May is not ushering in the era of the dismal vindictive Corbyn but of the proud talented patriot BJ.

Not really, it just casts an amusing light on the fact that Johnson has not changed.

I'm sure he is election-worthy, but that just illustrates how little the media have really exposed him. He really is a horrible man. He didn't give a flying **** about that poor woman locked up in Iran that he could have probably saved had he cared a little more and was a little less lazy. In London he was a terrible Mayor, absolutely indifferent to the social problems of the city and hell bent on feathering the nests of various pals.
The first debate is over.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/jun/16/channel-4-debate-tory-leadership-candidates-take-part-in-first-tv-hustings-without-boris-johnson-live-news

No Boris of course. We await developments. At the moment, he is being held incommunicado on a prison island by his handlers, in case he says something.
Original post by the bear

Can't tell if parody or not....
Reply 30
Original post by anarchism101
Can't tell if parody or not....

The Tories gave gone mad. Boris Johnson is the front runner for being leader of the Tory party and therefore, by default, Prime Minister. This is the same racist who refers to black people as pickerninnies with water melons smiles, Muslims who look like letterboxes.... etc. etc. How is this happening?The Tory party has long had issues with diversity and racism.
Reply 31
really not a fan of Boris dodging the first debate.

Did he not learn the lesson from May? It doesn't make you look like a better leader, or authoratitive at all. There is no excuse for a leader or potential leader dodging the debate.

He will turn out to be worse than May because of the staggering level of his ignorance! Fortunately, the next general election is not that far away and then the general public will get to vote on this repeated tory Prime Minister by default merry go round and the collection of hapless House of Commons MPs from all parties who have failed the British public for years!
Original post by mgi
The Tories gave gone mad. Boris Johnson is the front runner for being leader of the Tory party and therefore, by default, Prime Minister. This is the same racist who refers to black people as pickerninnies with water melons smiles, Muslims who look like letterboxes.... etc. etc. How is this happening?The Tory party has long had issues with diversity and racism.

One word - Farage. They feel a need to lurch into the same gutter that Farage and his pond life buddies and biddies infest.
Reply 33
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One word - Farage. They feel a need to lurch into the same gutter that Farage and his pond life buddies and biddies infest.

Maybe, but before Farage there were divisions in the Tory party about Europe anyway. I suspect the truth is that Brexit has exposed how soulless, detached and disingenuous British politics has become. Chuka Umuna MP is just one example- in the space of a few months this year he changed from being a Labour MP to a Change Uk MP and now he's a Liberal Democrat MP! And all without consulting a single constituent! Then we have navel gazing Tory Party who are making a habit of appointing unelected Prime Ministers.
Reply 34
Anyone dare to predict what's going to happen by the end of the year regarding Brexit?

I predict Boris will be PM, he won't be able to change the deal enough to get it through Parliament, so we'll have to have another election, pro brexit MPs will get in and will leave on WTO.
Reply 35
He will go to the EU all friendly, bombastic, positive and energetic in the unlikely event that they find an agreement he will be a hero, in the more likely event that they will reject his suggestions he will blame them go to the Country, in fact his opening speech was already a campaign speech and his cabinet, especially Dominic Cummings (Director of vote leave) is an election team.
Then It will be Labour to Remain, Lib Dem for second ref or Tory is to leave on wto.
Original post by NJA
Anyone dare to predict what's going to happen by the end of the year regarding Brexit?

I predict Boris will be PM, he won't be able to change the deal enough to get it through Parliament, so we'll have to have another election, pro brexit MPs will get in and will leave on WTO.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by NJA

Yes. And the Boris for PM was predictable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending