The Student Room Group

Happy Bloomsday everyone!

Heya folks!
June 16th is Bloomsday! It is the day in which James Joyce's Ulysses was set. Debatably one of the most controversial books of the 20th Century (if not of all time).

What is it about?

Surrounding the death and funeral of Patrick Dignam, Ulysses goes pretty in-depth into the minds of Leopold Bloom (the namesake for Bloomsday) and Stephen Dedalus, who is first seen in the prequel A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. There are a couple of other narrators, but these are the main two.

The genre is almost completely unique to itself, with a better explanation in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

This book was banned in a number of countries (including America) due to its orgasmic, lewd language and banging on the Church a little bit, but is still held in extremely high regard by authors such as T.S Eliot.

What happens on Bloomsday?
Basically, people take to the streets (usually in the novels native Dublin) and read extracts aloud. There are many articles about it (especially today, just skim over google and there are SO. MANY. resources), but at its heart, it is just a day for nerds of Joyce's best-known work to... nerd out a bit.

Have a great Bloomsday everyone!
:borat:

i agree with you that TSR should celebrate. yes. yes i will.
yes i said.
Poor tremble TSR like the cows who popped into the street by my old pub and there we splattered and heaved against each body and bloodypapered our thunkings onto slabs of cold mice laid wastrels where each dog howled and howled bloody hell I need a fag and that was all I could say before old Malarkey came down and sung a song of heck oh heck there's a fumble with too many too many too many wordings words words wordings oh heck
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Poor tremble TSR like the cows who popped into the street by my old pub and there we splattered and heaved against each body and bloodypapered our thunkings onto slabs of cold mice laid wastrels where each dog howled and howled bloody hell I need a fag and that was all I could say before old Malarkey came down and sung a song of heck oh heck there's a fumble with too many too many too many wordings words words wordings oh heck

and she turned and said you know you want to so why don't you and i said i'm not sure that we are ready and it being almost the equinox and that so she said well if you don't then you won't get no rep off of me no sirree bob and she was a gin and wine eleven gemma which is quite advanced for an acne lass no respect intended like but a few more reps allus come in handy for a fellow and so i said why not i know a little place we can go it's round the back of the acne hemp hire that's where the young folk like to go for a little sheen nan again so drink up your gene and toe nick and let's get it over with charming she said roe manse is not dead i should cuckoo and so it came to pass that with much tremblement de genoux the deed was done and she wore a plastic rose behind her ear tray elly gong i said like the senior ritas and she said yes i will rep you yes i said yes
learnt something new today:smile:
damn this sounds good, now I just have to convince my dad, the literature major that no this book is completely pg to read on my family holiday
Original post by mpaprika
damn this sounds good, now I just have to convince my dad, the literature major that no this book is completely pg to read on my family holiday

Good luck with that one. There is a constant theme of sex and sexuality throughout the text 😂😂😂
Original post by barror1
Good luck with that one. There is a constant theme of sex and sexuality throughout the text 😂😂😂

and pooping
Original post by the bear
and pooping

And drinking. And drunks.
For anyone who is interested, Radio 4 has done a photographic tour of Dublin in the context of the novel to celebrate Bloomsday!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00tbdz5/p00tm546
It also includes a timescale, which proves vital to us pedants :scrooge:
Original post by barror1
For anyone who is interested, Radio 4 has done a photographic tour of Dublin in the context of the novel to celebrate Bloomsday!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00tbdz5/p00tm546
It also includes a timescale, which proves vital to us pedants :scrooge:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/976x549_b/p00tkzjs.jpg

i thought it was a cappuccino so i did

:emo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending