The Student Room Group

Going to uni just because I want to learn the subject, not to get a job in that field

Is this a stupid idea? Here's my reasoning:
I want to be a primary school teacher but I'm not 100% certain teaching is right for me. Doing primary education at undergraduate means that I won't be able to do anything other than teaching. So I was thinking I should perhaps do a different unrelated subject at undergraduate, and then do a PGCE afterwards to become a primary school teacher. This means that I have more options if I decide teaching isn't for me. But then again, that means that I'll be doing a 4 year undergraduate course just because the subject is interesting to me (Japanese), not because I actually necessarily want a career in that field. Is this a stupid idea?
No, it's not a stupid idea.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I don’t think this is a bad idea at all. I’m planning to study modern languages and linguistics at uni for the sole reason that I absolutely love it. My main career options with that are interpreting, translation and teaching, but honesty I don’t want to do any of those (lmao) but I’ll think about that when the time comes. The degree will be so much easier if you enjoy it, and there will always be a way to incorporate your degree into your career :smile:
Reply 3
It’s a great idea! Study what you love!
Reply 4
Yes this!
Seems people have forgotten learning and exploring a subject is valuable in its own right!
Original post by Ftmshk
It’s a great idea! Study what you love!

Original post by YasudaSayo
I want to be a primary school teacher but I'm not 100% certain teaching is right for me. Doing primary education at undergraduate means that I won't be able to do anything other than teaching. So I was thinking I should perhaps do a different unrelated subject at undergraduate, and then do a PGCE afterwards to become a primary school teacher. This means that I have more options if I decide teaching isn't for me. But then again, that means that I'll be doing a 4 year undergraduate course just because the subject is interesting to me (Japanese), not because I actually necessarily want a career in that field. Is this a stupid idea?
(edited 4 years ago)

That sounds like a fantastic idea. More people should be doing this. It's bizarre that society expects people to decide their life-long profession as a teenager.

Just before university, I wanted to be a journalist. During my first year of university, I decided to be a translator or an interpreter. Having graduated university, I've decided now that I might want to work as a diplomat or even in academia.

Take your time. There's no rush in deciding. Just always try to have an open mind and allow yourself the opportunity to experience various things.

By the way, I studied Japanese at Edinburgh and had an absolutely wonderful time. My year abroad studying in Tokyo was the best year of my life (so far). :fluffy:

Feel free to ask any questions.

The vast majority of teachers I know studied for a degree in their chosen subject and then became a teacher. Keep in mind though that primary teaching is somewhat different from secondary teaching with a very broad range of teaching and academic skills required to teach pupils at that age. I'm sure you have done some research on the basic qualifications required for entry into primary teaching and will already meet those.
this is literally what I'm doing and it's worked out pretty decently so *shrugs* go wild.

caveat: please do research about career paths and prep accordingly (applying to insight programs, networking with people in the careers you find interesting, applying to internships, doing ECs and joining societies etc etc) to get onto a decent one.. don't be like everyone else and wait til final year because "herp derp, just came to uni to party and learn about esoteric ****".

most of the successful people I know, either did an exact degree that lead directly to an exact career which they prepped for even before uni or they went to uni to grow as a person and learn whilst making sure to build an employable profile along the way.

all the goosenoggles that scream "yer have a useless degree" are the ones who aren't doing that great themselves, probably.

edit: posted before reading the rest of the post. yep, pgce->teacher is a great and straightforward path.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think its a great idea!

I did Ancient History at Uni (then an MA for my sins haha) because I loved it and found in interesting. Im starting my primary PGCE this September. I'd say do something you love. If you're still set on teaching after your degree then you have the qualifications to do that whereas if you went into primary education now you'd probably end up wondering what your other course was like! If you decide teaching isn't for you at least you have experience in a subject you're passionate about which will come with a load of transferable skills in itself :smile:

Good Luck!
It is great to choose to study a subject that you are fascinated by.
Many people change their career paths and ambitions after undergrad.
Plenty of ways to use the skills, knowledge and other learning acquired from uni life.
Good luck with your studies!
Reply 10
Original post by staceylamb1992
I think its a great idea!

I did Ancient History at Uni (then an MA for my sins haha) because I loved it and found in interesting. Im starting my primary PGCE this September. I'd say do something you love. If you're still set on teaching after your degree then you have the qualifications to do that whereas if you went into primary education now you'd probably end up wondering what your other course was like! If you decide teaching isn't for you at least you have experience in a subject you're passionate about which will come with a load of transferable skills in itself :smile:

Good Luck!

My biggest worry is that I won't be accepted onto a primary PGCE because a lot of them say they want your undergraduate to be something related to the national curriculum. Ancient history isn't too closely related to the national curriculum so I was wondering if you found it difficult to get in? Or was your MA in something primary education related? Since you didn't specify what that was in.
Reply 11
I only wish more primary teachers would do this. Most secondary teachers do but primary teachers tend to be more vocational. Plus it’s far easier to convert to teaching than the other way around. Definitely this is the way forward for you.
Reply 12
Original post by Quick-use
That sounds like a fantastic idea. More people should be doing this. It's bizarre that society expects people to decide their life-long profession as a teenager.

Just before university, I wanted to be a journalist. During my first year of university, I decided to be a translator or an interpreter. Having graduated university, I've decided now that I might want to work as a diplomat or even in academia.

Take your time. There's no rush in deciding. Just always try to have an open mind and allow yourself the opportunity to experience various things.

By the way, I studied Japanese at Edinburgh and had an absolutely wonderful time. My year abroad studying in Tokyo was the best year of my life (so far). :fluffy:

Feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you for your reply. Just curious, how did applying for Japanese go? I presume you didn't do it at A Level as most people don't, so how did writing a personal statement and getting references from your teachers go? I'm incredibly worried about applying and even very embarrassed for my teachers to know I have an interest in languages because I do science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending