The Student Room Group

any help/advice please - stomach shrinking?

I 'was' bulimic. Actually, I still am, but I'm really trying to recover because it has affected my education etc. I've been throwing up my meals since about October last year, at first only twice a week but over the last month, multiple times a day. I am really trying to recover. I haven't thrown up for about 3 days but now it's really difficult for me to eat. Whenever I feel hungry after about 2-3 bites of the food, I feel really full and start getting stomach pains, at times almost making me throw up.
Before whenever I get the feeling og being full, I would always throw it up because it made me feel fat, now after two bites I get that feeling but there's not much to throw up and I'm really trying to get better but my body is not physically allowing me.
Ik, you're not a doctor but ay help I'll take.
And I can't go to the doctor/ tell my parents due to the fact that they WILL blame me/ put me down for it and I just can't deal with that.
Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Drink (fluids not alcohol)
Reply 3
Original post by hello_shawn
Drink (fluids not alcohol)

that's even worse
I really would recommend just popping to see your local GP, depending on your age you don't need parental supervision. Online GPs may be helpful in your case also if you don't want parents to know. I would suggest eating apples as they're quite gentle on the stomach. Do make sure that you chew the apple to a much before swallowing. Not a doctor do take my advice with a large pinch of salt.
Reply 5
Go to your GP.
Reply 6
Original post by TheEntity
I really would recommend just popping to see your local GP, depending on your age you don't need parental supervision. Online GPs may be helpful in your case also if you don't want parents to know. I would suggest eating apples as they're quite gentle on the stomach. Do make sure that you chew the apple to a much before swallowing. Not a doctor do take my advice with a large pinch of salt.

Thank you very much
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
Go to your GP.

I can't
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
I can't

How old are you?
Reply 9
Original post by Pathway
How old are you?

16 - it's more about embarrassment, I just can't

You need to. You can go to your GP without your parents as you are entitled to patient confidentiality at the age of 16. Please get help, you deserve to get better. Eating disorders are awful to deal with, I struggle with anorexia myself. You're welcome to message me if you need support, but you need to swallow your pride and get help.
Just remember, you'll never see the doctor again. After a week, you'll be erased from their memory. And you think visiting a doctor about a shrinking stomach is bad? Go and get a penis inspection and suddenly develop an erection. When being inspected by a male (I'm not gay). That's the definition of embarrassment.
Original post by Pathway
You need to. You can go to your GP without your parents as you are entitled to patient confidentiality at the age of 16. Please get help, you deserve to get better. Eating disorders are awful to deal with, I struggle with anorexia myself. You're welcome to message me if you need support, but you need to swallow your pride and get help.

I'm trying to recover from the ED but I physically can't as a few bites of food makes me feel like throwing due to too much food.
I'm a little embarrassed by my ED, but its the after effect that makes me more embarrassed. I didn't listen to anyone and now that I'm trying to get better the negative impacts are not allowing me. I know I need help but I don't really like discussing personal matters, it just makes me feel s hit. I feel like a failure, I've failed myself and everyone that loves and cares about me and there's nothing I can do about it.
Your family still loves you. What they want for you is for you to get better. Honestly, write a letter to your parents. It's the easiest way for you to communicate with them.
I'm trying to recover from the ED but I physically can't as a few bites of food makes me feel like throwing due to too much food.
I'm a little embarrassed by my ED, but its the after effect that makes me more embarrassed. I didn't listen to anyone and now that I'm trying to get better the negative impacts are not allowing me. I know I need help but I don't really like discussing personal matters, it just makes me feel s hit. I feel like a failure, I've failed myself and everyone that loves and cares about me and there's nothing I can do about it.

There is something you can do about it: get help. You need to get help, this could be a potentially serious side effect, I do not want to alarm you, but this is exactly why you need to get help. Please listen to me when I say this needs to be dealt with now. I get that you're scared but this isn't gonna run away over night, you need professional help. Swallow your pride, seek help. Yes, you will feel ****, you may feel like the biggest failure in the world, but it won't be like that forever, but you need help to get out of this hole. It's OK to need help. **** man, if I was 16 again, I would've gotten help had I known half the crap I do now.

Do something for yourself that will help you, make the choice to get help. You've already made the hardest decision which is to recover.
Original post by TheEntity
Your family still loves you. What they want for you is for you to get better. Honestly, write a letter to your parents. It's the easiest way for you to communicate with them.

I don't think I want them to find out ..
Original post by Pathway
There is something you can do about it: get help. You need to get help, this could be a potentially serious side effect, I do not want to alarm you, but this is exactly why you need to get help. Please listen to me when I say this needs to be dealt with now. I get that you're scared but this isn't gonna run away over night, you need professional help. Swallow your pride, seek help. Yes, you will feel ****, you may feel like the biggest failure in the world, but it won't be like that forever, but you need help to get out of this hole. It's OK to need help. **** man, if I was 16 again, I would've gotten help had I known half the crap I do now.

Do something for yourself that will help you, make the choice to get help. You've already made the hardest decision which is to recover.

Alright, thank you - I will definitely make the effort to get help
I dunno about your particular situation but generally stomach shrinking is due to not eating enough and the solution is just to eat a lot more than you usually would, specifically eat beyond the point of feeling full. That expands your stomach and increases your appetite.
Alright, thank you - I will definitely make the effort to get help

Please do take care. I'm always willing to listen if you need someone to chat to. Just drop a PM.
I dunno about your particular situation but generally stomach shrinking is due to not eating enough and the solution is just to eat a lot more than you usually would, specifically eat beyond the point of feeling full. That expands your stomach and increases your appetite.

I wish it was that easy. I'm trying to recover from the guilt I felt after eating, there's no way I can eat 'a lot more than I usually would'. I guess my stomach has shrunk because, for almost a week, every single meal I would consume would be thrown up. The only thing I wouldn't throw up was a banana which I ate one of every day. On Friday of that week, I think I had an afternoon exam so I was home alone whilst my parents went to work and my brother was at school. I got out of the shower and I literally collapsed. I was lucky I was able to get up after a few minutes. This probably did have an effect on the exam I did that day. After that, I decided it was time to change. One thing I have is determination, and I always try and meet targets I set myself.
However, now that I'm trying to eat normally again, after 2-3 spoons, I feel sooo full with stomach pains and I almost threw up once, so therefore I can't just eat more than usual as I would probably throw up.

Quick Reply

Latest